Blisters

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill G.

Blisters

Post by Bill G. »

Had my bottom blasted and as expected a couple of eraser size blisters and checked the site and Capt. P recommended 3M Marine Prem. Filler for them would I still use that and can I do the repairs myself or better left for the yard?I plan on 3 coats of barrier and 3 coats of paint.Any input always valued....TXS Bill G.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Blisters

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bill,

Recommendation still stands and it's something that you can do yourself, just be sure that the areas are bone dry. Wash them out with denatured alcohol to capture any residual moisture and let that evaporate away.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I did the job myself on a 1976 BW Outrage per the good captain's instructions and 12 years later none of the blistering has reappeared. As stated, drying was of key importance. I did my bottom job over the winter in a warehouse so I had a couple of months to allow for total drying.
John Nardi

Post by John Nardi »

Just finished having my bottom blasted...Hull is dry...Filled an faired with the 3M...Waiting to put the Barrier Kote and paint when I am sure I can put her in the water...I am also replacing almost all Thru hulls...3M sands out real easy w 120 grit...Good luck
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I agree that the 3m filler works great and lasts forever -- if you weren't planning on it, might I suggest you do the first coat of ablative paint (if you are using it) in a different color than the last two coats. When we redid my old B31, we did 1 red coat followed by 4 black coats - that way we had Red (the signal coat) to know when the bottom would need to be repainted.

Tom
Bill G.

Post by Bill G. »

Looks like I'll give it a go if for some reason I don't do it right or miss one what could be the end result?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bill, have faith in yourself! Follow directions and you'll be fine. Not rocket science... Worst case scenario your boat will sink. ;^P
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

We did outs in 1986. Back then they recommended 5 coats and the work time was shorter. We were lucky back then. Had a bunch of my fathers friends who used to fish with us help put it on. Include my wife in that crew. We each took a section and put on 5 coats in a day. Had to be done that way otherwise if it dried more than 8 hours you had to sand.

It is still holding up on the old girl.

The one job I would not want to do again, is finding all the dam pin holes after the sandblasting job. Back then soda blasting did not exist.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bill G.

Post by Bill G. »

Thanks Cap't P,thank goodness I'm in a shallow slip.Thanks guys ...3 coats of barrier good?......Bill G.