Fuel Transfer Pump Q?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scot

Fuel Transfer Pump Q?

Post by scot »

Looks like a fuel transfer pump will be a good option for my project. Do any of you guys have them on your boats? If so, what brand, model, etc. I will need a 12V pump to move fuel (diesel) from starboard & port tanks to a main stern tank.

Thanks
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Hyena Love

Re: Fuel Transfer Pump Q?

Post by Hyena Love »

Just a cheap 12v pump. Buy them at Jegs or any high performance auto shop.
scot

Post by scot »

So, no need for the $$$ Groco or Jabsco units? I thought about an automotive unit.. but wasn't sure it would move enough fuel to fill a 40 gallon tank in tolerable time.
Scot
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Scot,

You'd be far better off with a pump that will deliver a higher volume. I have a 1/2 hp motor with a Jabsco flexible impeller that I've used for diesel transfer off and on for over 20 years. Use at nitrile impeller for fuel transfer. The 12vdc Jabsco Water Puppy with a nitrile impeller might be a good choice without breaking the bank...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Don't know what you mean by tolerable time, but I transfer fuel from my secondary tank into my main tank with a cheap 12v. auto unit. The first one I bought lasted basically 14 years. Then, I re-purposed the one I used to use on my counter rotating gas engine.

I'm transferring via regular fuel lines. So, the lines and the fittings limit the flow. Bigger pump means larger lines/larger fittings. No reason to have a pump that delivers 200 gph, if the lines and fittings will only flow a fraction of that.
scot

Post by scot »

Ernest,

How long does it take? The auto pumps I have looked at are like 6-15 GPH (per hour). That would take a very long time to move 40 gallons. I could live with 5-10 GPM. What pump are you using? and how fast can it move fuel around? I would like to only spend $40 bucks if possible, and because it's diesel I'm not worried too about an intrinsically safe, "marine" pump!
Scot
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

I'm using a Carter vane style auto pump. Specs are that it will free flow something like 70 to 75 gph. I forget the spec exactly.
Seems like about 20 to 25 minutes to move 25 gallons. I've never measured it.

I'm not familiar with pumps than move only 6-15 gph. A regular chevy 350 will eat around 10 gph at a mere 3000 rpm. Easily eat 15 gph at max rpm. So, what do those pumps run? Weedeaters, Yugos, mini bikes?

When I suggested cheap, I did not mean free. I think a Carter vane style pump is around $65 or so. Give or take. Marine ones are a bit more, but I ran the over the road versions even when I was gas.

You have $40 to spend and want a pump that moves 300 to 600 gph? Wut? Seriously? How big a hose are you using? I don't think you can get 600 gph out of the pump at a gas station.
scot

Post by scot »

You have $40 to spend
Kidding Earnest, $40 bucks barely buys a large pizza today. I have 40 gallons to transfer. In all seriousness I would "like" to be able to transfer the 40 gallons in 15 minutes. So reality is a 160 gph pump.. if possible. If not, then I will make do with the highest capacity pump that is reasonable. A 75 gph pump could work, moving the 40 gallons in 30ish minutes.
Scot