dedicated canyon boat

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

dedicated canyon boat

Post by bob lico »

well here she is after a difficult year of trying to achieve perfect balance at 60mph. had to resort to 40gallon front gas tank under v-birth. using it right now in north NJ to catch early bass coming down hudson. we removed the 250hp and installed a pair of 300 hp,4-stroke,Verado`s to maintain 60mph in rough water. i listen to Bob h and Brewster and went to two 12" Simrad screens with chirp sonar. very nice display.the owner like`s to sight cast so i added casting platform to cast in rolling seas like raritan bay NJ. i ran a life-line down v-birth deck as safety from back in the day when i owned her as a 90mph APBA "M" boat .

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: dedicated canyon boat

Post by mike ohlstein »

Man...... Count me out of that canyon trip.

But call me on the sat-phone when you sheer the lowers off on a 40' container that's floating 3 inches below the surface, and I'll come get you.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thanks mike i will keep that in mind.back in the good old days this original cigarette 1978 hand lay up with no balsa wood (rubber band airplane models) and no styrofoam cup material just plain triple direction hand lay up woven roven with all bubbles squeeze out!!!. raymond hunt inspired 24 1/2 degree deadrise bow to stern with strakes also bow to stern.saved my life on july 5th 1995. I was a mile out of fire island inlet at 530am ran into three huge 30' wave that was two foot longer then boat standing straight up however i "dragged" the 2' Kiekaffer racing tabs and brought her down over the crest second wave took on water over bow then third wave took on another two inches more thank God fourth wave was 1 foot!!!!!!! bail her out and went on the NJ. CC conversion she has two foot flowtation extension swim platform very convient to bring large shark on . mike you just have to put her on top of crest and hold her there keeping a watchful eye on a big one then you react and counter react like a auto in a three point turn on a narrow road .you make that little opposite turn in the wheel just as the vehicle approaches the curb.two years ago went to canyon in a race style cat with canopies , 3 speed transmissions with twin 480 hp yammer diesels .cruise at 76mph and wot 104mph .own by panzer contruction on ss of long island. rods were put on side walls and bungee down.yes crazy but what the hell not getting any younger.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
John F.

Post by John F. »

I like it a lot. Looks like a lot of fun
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

mike ohlstein wrote:But call me on the sat-phone when you sheer the lowers off on a 40' container that's floating 3 inches below the surface, and I'll come get you.
You're such an optimist... :-)
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Nostalgic
Unique for sure.

Thoughts and questions:
Look at carbon fiber riggers, the bases will thank you, especially if traveling at speed with poles extended ( all the cool kids use them)

Rag top on a speed boat?

How does the cockpit drain? Central sump?

Which ducer did you pick with the bsm2?
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

rag top is extremely braced and main beams of tower go into brazing under deck.2" scuppers on rear of cockpit lead to 2 waterproof boxes with macerator to pump overboard there are also three other bilge pumps forward and aft.balance is achieve buy moving gas from forward to rear or vice versa depending on water conditions.95% used to follow bass from sandy point to cape may Nj. when i have a hot personal report of tuna in canyon we will make run from north jersey.the boat is cross brace under deck from bow to stern.and sister boat "the head hunter" held points lead APBA in M class at constant 100mph. no air slot or modified Vee she goes were you point it!!!!!! not crazy about outriggers that his idea but will be used in canyon .i used the dual flush mount tilt style air mar under hull and one stern mounted tranducer for chirp system.
Last edited by bob lico on Apr 10th, '16, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

incidently your idea ;no buttons,snaps show on stamoid enclosure also used polomer glass. open check book ----------nice . tower bracing from older photo.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Very nice. One thing and you said it, not getting any younger. Why at our ages would you want to beat yourself up like that.

I dread the thought of that run in a much bigger boat. I don't care what you say, when it is rough it is rough. 75mph, will not make it calm.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony what has happen in recent years mainly due to the economy is men our age with nice boats,deep pockets but no experience crew so i have at least 10 boats that ask me to take them to canyon or 50 miles off for shark.i have the rods,reels and a ton of spreader bars,dredges,daisy chains,and every other offshore toy.i take my son as mate and i take the wheel. last year i went on a huge Duffy at least 43'. slow boat to china like 15 knt with Loud john deere power.all day to get there and at night i started a deep drop for swordfish .i don`t think i had 40' out and a huge sword pick up that green light a large live squid i just caught.this is on a penn 2 speed 80 with 100 pound top shot. What moron goes to canyon with a swim platform on stern?????????? line went under swim platform as it started to spool reel on overdrag .could not even slow it down as owner fumbles attempting to start boat and unhook from flyer. the line actually saw thru the edge of swim platform then snap. my son giving me a lecture no more other boats they all suck compare to a 31 literally making circles around a sea monster like giant bluefin or 4 to 500 pound swordfish like this. the 32 topaz was another story. i might add my boat has headboat status so i have a much better advantage with migratory species. stupid putting "zeroes" across the logsheet every year because i am on someone else whom has a lessor fishing boat .with the exception of the 45" Cabo express . a wetter boat then my 31 but she runs with the devil in 4 to 5 footers.best boat i ever fished including Bertram 510 and 50,47 viking. yes the older you get the more you are inclined to seek confort but bigger is definitly not better excluding sleeping quarters .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Nice choice on electronics top shelf...looks like a rocket ship...when it gets rough I will be on a big girl with a deep keel..to each his own..almost time..almost.BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bob don`t forget not my boat i just design the boat and installed electronics and bilge pump system etc..the owner called today all excided he caught and released 24 bass between 24" and 38" in four hours 5 minutes out of his marina in north jersey. they made fun of him at dock with the Simrad sonar set up "you mind well just buy them" what a joke in 30' of water you can pick the fish you want! Simrad sonar stays lock on perfect display till 25mph.he can see bunker with bass feeding .i am a raymarine guy i should say Was. Bob when offshore i need a place to sleep ,clean head,but as a inshore bass boat cannot be beat.i set up with everything Simrad had to offer ;wi-fi ,blue tooth from phone,electronic compass to superimposed radar over chart plotter. looking at giant entrance to NY harbor bouys with 3d side scan WOW. yes i would like more creature confort under my ass going offshore like sit back on auto pilot with coffee . i was trying to illustrate a different propective a little on wild side but the advantage is to tow the boat with modern triple axle trailer to a hot spot off cape may nj at end of year to get last shot in on bass migration was nice.still love our 31 Bertrams.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

while we have this post on the forum i want to point out something to keep in mind for our Bertrams. my friend joel whom is really a expert like the capt. with F/G built the gas tanks for this boat.main tank 160 gallons conforms to 24 degree deadrise with flat on bottom .forward tank is 40 gallon with flat on bottom .both tanks are built of vinyl ester resin with some kind of additive? tanks are one off baffled like race boat tanks.dual transfer pumps allow you many options to keep her running flat. lenco electric tabs are very large but never use to trim boat but add to running length . we trim with the engines which are also on jacks. fantastic speed is due to two foot floatation extension raised two inches as large step to keep props in not agitated water.props are custom SS with large rake to keep bow down.with motors trim out.i feel the new CC with two air slots cut into hull for increase speed at wot. also causes the boat to lose" grip" with air under boat you can get into bad situation real quick in beam sea with inexperiance driver.thats my two cents .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

well . well those Simrads are out of this world. the owner caught 36 bass between 32' and 38" and two forty inches. all fish released .i installed three Gemlux(blind screws) rod holders on gunnel on each side tilted at 0 degrees ,30 degree,and 45 degree for trolling . the 45 degree hold rod for out riggers. the owner trolls two rods by himself. his boat is only 10 minutes out of it`s dock space in mommouth NJ.crazy!!!!!!!!!!

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Nice Bob, very nice.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315