Window leak fixed, thanks

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Window leak fixed, thanks

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Ever since her Katrina bashing AJ's stb. side (its fixed, tinted safety glass) window has leaked. So a couple of weeks ago I took the taek trim off the inside, got the Bride to look while I sprayed the hose. She said it leaked all over. Plus the bonehead that fabricated the new front half tower legs that got ripped off in the storm forgot to put any caulking under them, so water leaked there and ran back and leaked thru the 12v light over the galley counter.

So getting the window frame out is near impossible without tearing up more than the leak is worth.......so I consulted with certain of the Faithful, and yesterday employed all the advice. Remember, UV don't paint and ain't real good at caulking either.

First, Capt. Patrick taught me the trick of using blue tape to mask off both sides where you caulk, just leaving a gap, and with 4200 for example, after you squirt the caulk, wipe the joint with your finger (wear a disposable plastic or latex glove), wait about 30 minutes, then carefully pull the tape and you have a perfect caulk line every time. Oh yeah, he also taught me to have a 5 gallon bucket handy to put the soiled tape in so it don't get caulk all over the boat.

Second, Timmy taught me last weekend to get one of the caulking guns with no teeth on the rod and the "release" button to apply the caulk so you can slowly do it without the crap going all over....works like a champ Thudd, thanks.

Third, da Judge taught me last week to double tape the gap....that is lay your final tape lines first, then come back with a second layer about 1/4" outside the first one....after you have swiped the line, peel the top layer of tape and it will take most of the excess with it, leaving you with the final tape you can swipe again and get a very fine line.

Anyway, armed with all this good advice I spent a couple of very tedious hours removing the old caulk (oh yeah, Patrick's famous Church Key works the best), cleaning the area to be caulked with alcohol, then the taping took forever to get right. Shot the 4200, swiped it, peeled the tape and it looks perfect, and as of this morning when I gave AJ a serious washdown, not a drop leaked.

Moral of the story is you can't get enough advice, thanks guys.

UV
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

UV, you've been "schooling" me for as many years as I've had the pleasure knowing you. Glad I was finally able to give a little back.
the love fest is over, I'll return you to your normal Thudddddd
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Vic
Why did you choose the 4200 to seal your windows???

Harry Babb
hb
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Harry - because the frame was slightly sprung from the storm damage and there was a pretty good gap at the top - I wanted some adhesive strength.

UV
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Hey Vic
A little over a year ago I reworked my windows and sealed them with SikaFlex and mine have already started leaking.

Harry Babb
hb
SteveM

Re: Window leak fixed, thanks

Post by SteveM »

Any advice on the best type of caulk for this same application?

I'm planning to do what Vic described in his entry above.

3M 4000 is a thought. But I thought that stuff was more on the adhesive side than the "keep water out" side.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I still believe in the SikiFlex. Since my post in 2007 I realize that the reason mine started leaking was due to poor installation.......the window was not properly supported.

I believe there are 2 different types of SikiFlex....I cannot remember the number but use the one that is UV Ray resistant. I'm sure their website explains it all if you choose to go with their product.

hb
hb
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Harry,
The Sika website is not easy to navigate. They have tons of products.
I looked at the jamestown site, as I guessed they would narrow it down.
Here's what I believe may be the ticket.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... o?pid=3514
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman