Bridge Wind Screen

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jackryan

Bridge Wind Screen

Post by jackryan »

The previous owner of my 31 Sportfish removed the small original windscreen (windshield?) on top of the flybridge and put a large, kinda goofy looking wind screen in it's place. It is functional, but I'm thinking about removing it and replacing with the original wind screen. Does someone manufacture/sell these? Maybe one of the faithful knows where I can get a used one that's in good shape??

Thanks,

JR
Tony Meola

Re: Bridge Wind Screen

Post by Tony Meola »

Jack

They were Taylor Made wind screens. I don't believe they are made anymore, but give them a shot.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

It was a while back---but I bought mine from capt pat.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

During my rebuild of my 1983 B33 FBC I replaced the windscreen with plexiglas from a local window shop.. I took the old pieces to them and they traced them and then cut them out for me. I drilled the holes in them myself, but be careful.. I first tried a hand held drill but the bit caught somehow and twisted and the plexi cracked.. the second time around I used a drill press and clamped the blanks to the table, then drilled the holes carefully with no problem. I made the holes oversize so there wasn't any built in stresses in the replacements when I found the frames seemed to have deformed a little over the years and the holes no longer lined up.

As far as the specific material is concerned I let the glass shop choose what to use.. they do windows for a lot of new and rebuilt boats so I let them tell me what I really needed.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Frank,

In the 33 sf (not the fb) there was a slightly green tint in the salon windows, which I think was matched by the flybridge wind braker. It may not be as effective for hot sunny climates as some darker or even mirrored versions, but I believe this light green color was the best looking choice ever.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

When I redid mine on a B25, I made a template with thin Cardboard, then had a glass shop cut the pattern out of lexan, thin, light strong, comes in many colours. Happy with the result.
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Thanks for the responses on the windscreen. I went to the old bertram31.com location and found some information on replacement wind screens that I think were available from Capt. Patrick. I'll see if I can post a link to the pics of the new wind screens.

JR
gplume

Post by gplume »

Jack-

I have one. I think it is in good shape....has been in my shed for over 10 years. Make me an offer, I guarentee a good deal. 1/2 to the website.

Giff
Giff
longfin

Post by longfin »

Bought mine with the rubber gasket and ALL of the mounting hardware from Danny at High Tide Marine in Florida.