Ocean yachts

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ed c.

Ocean yachts

Post by ed c. »

They have been sold. Egg Harbor brought the molds and Viking now owns the property.
Bertramp

Re: Ocean yachts

Post by Bertramp »

Isn't Egg Harbor the guys that bought Topaz too and the Buddy Davis name ?
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Ira Trocke(spelling?) bought up all those brands, Davis, Topaz, Egg Harbor, Predator, Silverhawk(topaz) etc..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I heard a rumor that Viking has the mold for the Billfish. Not sure if that is true or not but that model built by Viking could be a good size for them.

Viking Yachts signed a letter of intent to buy the land and structures of fellow New Jersey sportfisherman builder Ocean Yachts and plans to build some of Viking’s smaller yachts at the Mullica Township plant.

“We are kind of at full capacity here. We wanted to spread out a little bit,” Viking director of communications Peter Frederiksen told the Press of Atlantic City. “We would build Vikings there. We are not buying the product line, just the land.”

Frederiksen told Trade Only Today that the deal is still in its early stages.

The sale would mean the end of the Ocean Yachts name. The company was founded in 1977 and it built sportfishing boats from 37 to 73 feet and employed as many as 200 people in its heyday in the 1980s and ’90s.

Ocean Yachts did not recover from the Great Recession, and it has only a dozen employees as it finishes its last boat — a restoration of a vintage Ocean, co-owner John Leek IV told the Press.

“This one came back to be restored,” Leek said last week as he stood in front of the 55-foot 1982 Super Sport. “In a lot of ways we came full circle with this boat.”

Leek, who will remain on-site and play a significant role in Viking’s operation after the sale, said the deal could mean as many as 200 new jobs at the Mullica Township facility.

Comments
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I'm pretty sure that last restoration is for a guy I know at church, unless they have another 55 restore going on
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

At one time I thought Ocean was a quality yacht. Then I got a close up look and spoke with some one who did warranty work on the engines and generators.

When I saw all the screws rusting in one, I said what the #$%@.

Then the guy I know, told me he had to go to the factory to help figure out a problem with a genset. He said he watched them try and put a Fly bridge on a boat and he said it just did not line up. Way off. So the factory took a come along and pulled the sides in until it all lined up.

Another one he told me about was working on engines. They took the boat out to sea trial it, and he was in the engine room, looking down the center line of the hull and he could see it waving and twisting badly. He was shocked at how much it moved.

Shame since the family was know in the past for building quality sea boats.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I did confirm that the 55 at the factory being restored is his, he's not a fisherman but does plan on fishing it. Really nice guy, it's been there for a long time now.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

PeterPalmieri wrote:I did confirm that the 55 at the factory being restored is his, he's not a fisherman but does plan on fishing it. Really nice guy, it's been there for a long time now.
Peter

I hope he is able to get it out of there and it doesn't get trapped in all the buy and sell BS.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

He's had a very positive experience thus far.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the man who own`s buddy Davis and the rest of the name above boat manufacturers is Ira Trocki MD, FACS he is our hero! a very specialize plastic surgeon in the field of making perfect women`s boobs ! that exactly how he said it in our conversation two weeks ago. works on women celebrities then take profits and plays with boats .that how he get to build a 52' express Buddy Davis that will do 50 knots . His method is Vinyl infusion same constuction as new 35' Bertram ,quite interesting half the weight and twice the strenth as layed up glass .i saw test results of cross section surmerged in water and weight on super accurate scale it does not gain any weight. he had a cross section of all other cored sided boat contruction and the weight increase was dramatic when surmerged in water and weighed (2 X 2' core sample) .
Last edited by bob lico on Feb 24th, '16, 08:36, edited 2 times in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Are you trying to tell us that you are having some surgery done? Will everyone be shocked at the next get together?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Boob job or not Tony we'd expect to see you at the next rendezvous now that you are retired !
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony we were looking at a 34' buddy davis center console for a client and Ira gave me his personal card with Dr. on it.rather unusual in boat building bussiness so i ask and he explained . oakdale yacth purchase a 47' older model convertible .i wish the new 35' bertram had just a small flair like Buddy davis boats.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony,

Your sources are correct looks like Viking is going to be making the 37 billfish

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2017/Vi ... 7cm_lsrLs0
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

With Bertram appearing to be back in the game, Viking needed a boat under 40ft. Why design one when you can take a proven model and build to your standards of fit and finish. They saved themselves a ton of money and got into the under 40 market within 12 months.

A no brainier.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315