Finding that Bertram31 Needle in a Haystack

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ranjr13

Finding that Bertram31 Needle in a Haystack

Post by ranjr13 »

Do you remember the feeling when you got the papers at the closing or from a document envelope saying you had ownership of your Bertram 31? Well I consider myself extremely lucky to have that feeling, having just received the bills of sale on our “new” Soft Top Express. While it will be months before she is dug out of the back row of a marina about 3 hours away, the sense of responsibility to care as well or better than the previous owner is starting to sink in.

My first exposure to Bertrams was on a test ride with Zeke Westerson in the mid-1960s when my folks purchased a 25’ Sportfisherman from Yacht Distributers, an Old Saybrook, CT Bertram dealer. Zeke even arranged a tour for our family at the plant in Miami. Fast forward to the mid 1990’s when I was able to afford a 28 Flybridge of my own, and put many hours on that boat before leaving Bertrams to enjoy an Island Gypsy Trawler, then BHM Downeast cruiser.

The current search has been underway for the better part of a year, looking at some fine boats throughout the northeast, as far south as Annapolis, MD. Each boat tells a story of how they were cared for, if they underwent a refurbishment (or two), and what the quality of the work was that’s been done to them. Quality of refurbishing takes on two meanings to me, both in the use of great materials as part of a well thought out plan, and the attempt to keep the original lines and design features of the boat. Along with varying qualities of boats, we found that there are some brokers who rise above their peers.

I could easily compare this search to making the hard choice at a pet adoption shelter – all the dogs deserve a great home, but there is that one needle in a haystack that is the best fit. You almost feel bad you can’t take them all home, and that’s certainly how I feel about one or two of the 31’s we’ve seen. There are some very nice boats out there with great potential, so if anyone else is looking for a project to build upon a great foundation, contact me and I’ll gladly share some listings.

The Bertram 31 who will be a part of our family is a 1964 Soft Top Express, currently residing in Newburyport, Ma., the same yard that did a lot of work on Bertram 31 Otter. Ours is still listed as “Linda B” in the images section of this web site. ImageThe upgrades over the years include re-wiring, a pair of Yanmar 4LH-STE 230hp motors, fiberglass cockpit deck etc. Much of the boat remains original, and appears to have been very well cared for.

Now we begin planning for more upgrades to be completed before launching. The “projects” won’t stop there, as she’ll be worked on when she arrives at her new summer slip in Essex, CT, and subsequent off-seasons when she’s trailered home and stored inside.

“Big-ticket items” that we’re looking to do early on include a walk-through transom door, reverse-cycle heat/ac, and adding either a front cabin mast or side mounted radar/gin pole for a new broadband-radar. While I’ve searched for suggested locations/options for these projects, any input would be appreciated.

Finally, thanks to Capt. Patrick and others on this site who serve as a tremendous resource in promoting and maintaining the brand. We’ll get some pics up as we do various projects, and update the images on this site in a few months.

Bob
Bertramp

Re: Finding that Bertram31 Needle in a Haystack

Post by Bertramp »

My first Bertram ... a 25' twin I/O Bahia Mar was bought from Yacht Distributors - Grant Westerson (great guy) ..... his marina was taken by the state or feds in order for (I think) I 95 to be widened.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Grant is Zeke's son. Grant is now with the CT Marine Trades Assn. They had 2 yards, one by the 95 overpass which was partially taken over, and a second office at what is now Harbor One, first marina to port when you enter the River. Our little 25 spent a lot of time at the Sag Harbor town docks on weekends before the floating ones along side the pier were there.
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bob,

Was the owner of the boat you purchased named Dave Mecham by any chance?

Welcome to the sandbox! And congratulations on your purchase!!!

Best,

Dug
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Dug,

That was Dave's boat. Matter of fact, I took that picture as he pulled into Rybovich/Spenser on one of his trips to West Palm Beach...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Dug

Post by Dug »

Very cool, however I am sorry to hear he chose to sell. I believe he is a childhood friend of my father. Small world!
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Yes, as was stated, it is Dave's old boat. If it"s possible, reach out to him. I can't say much more than that. He took great care and pride in the boat, something we will work hard to match and exceed.

Thanks for the welcome into the sand box, will try to keep up my end of the bargain.

Bob
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
John F.

Post by John F. »

Bob-

Very, very nice, with some great upgrades. Enjoy her, and welcome.

John
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bob,
Welcome to the sand box, if you need to know anything about the 31 Express call or e-mail me I owned mine for 37 years and know just about every nut and bolt in the boat. I have replaced almost every system in my boat before I sold her in June of 2014. Like I said your getting a good boat from Dave. 561-310-7179 or fal4artbts@aol.com
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Congrats and welcome
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Congratulations. Best of luck with her. Enjoy her.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Welcome aboard Bob! Glad you found a nice boat and one that works for your needs.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Congrats... Our boats pick us !!! Who said that? someone from this outfit if I remember right
Great boat!!!
Mitch
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Mitch, thank you and I agree. Small world, just got home from the Cape, boat builder's show, hike on Chatham Bar with my pup, a stop at Falmouth Pet Supply, and a walk about in Woods Hole. We'll be in Hadley's this summer visiting for sure.

Bob
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

One step closer....trip yesterday from Newburyport, MA to Deep River, CT - for now, for some attention starting with a blasting, barrier coat and paint of bottom, and a few other slight mods before splashing...let the work begin.

Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

2 green lights! You are good to go!

Good Luck!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Pretty boat!
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Very nice.

Enjoy her.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
scot

Post by scot »

Congratulations, nice boat. Sounds like you will certainly be a good steward and appreciate the boat. Good luck with the project.
2 green lights! You are good to go!
Cam, your attention to odd details is always impressive lol.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Dug

Post by Dug »

Sweet!!!!

You are not far from me at all, so if a) You ever want to get together either on the water or on land, just say the word! and B) if you need anything ask!

Also, I know GREAT mechanics for those engines should you ever need.

Dug
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Thanks, Dug - will post progress pics here - having local yard help as I want to salvage as much of the season as possible, but do some basics like blast/barrier coat/paint bottom before launching, transom door for accessibility, basic maintenance etc. Will give a shout if I run into issues. Motors are low hours and look great, will be going over them anyway 100% to make sure they are as clean inside as they are outside.

Boats are continuous projects - this one will take a couple years to get it where I'd be comfortable, but then again I guess the path to the destination is also part of the fun.

Thanks again and to all of the faithful, have a safe and enjoyable holiday weekend.

Bob
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

So time lost getting our "new" boat down to Connecticut, and the hustle and bustle of the summer season, things haven't moved as quickly as I'd hoped. But in light of recent developments/announcements on this site, I wanted to post a couple of pics and list some of the projects we did/had done do "Dalmatian", our Soft Top Express in the past few months.

Items tackled thus far include transom walk-through door (hard to see, but the "Da" in the name are on the piece that opens inward, added a spruce gin pole to hold the new Quantum broadband radar and FLIR thermal camera, added a shelf to mount the new Navpod to hold a new Raymarine multi-function display, added a 12k BTU Webasto heat/ac unit (mounted under forward settee seat ducted to main cabin and v-births), blasted/barrier coated/base coated/3 Micron CSC coats bottom paint, changed cabin side cove stripe to fire engine red, added boot stripe, added brass molding to swim platform for protection, added drop down stow-beneath swim platform ladder, new VHF/remote, new starting battery, some new teak trim in cockpit. Even though she had been yard maintained, we had the Yanmar dealer change all fluids, filters, impellers etc. just to be on the safe side. Oh, and reflective black lettering for boat's name, and reflective head shot of my real life Dalmatian, Booster on transom and both sides of bow.

The list of things to still do is even longer, but we're going to get a couple months use out of it. The Yanmar 230's make it fly, cruising thus far about 2,250 rpms, 17kts. Tops out 3,400 rpms, 27-29kts.

Captain Pat, thank you again for all you've done, and what you've started here. There's a bit of you in everyone's Bertram 31 who uses this site to be the best stewards that we can be.

Bob
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Ok, now for the pics.....sorry....

Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Looks fabulous!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I like the red stripe, sets it off nicely.

Good looking boat.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Unusual to here about a "soft top" express although that should be the correct designation. For a short time there were a few "hardtop" expresses. From all I can find I appear to have the only 'Factory' hardtop express extant. If any one knows of another I would love to hear about it.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Most of the exterior projects done for this year - cabin front and corner windows replaced, window seals, side sliding glass tinted to match, lowered the radar on the gin pole a bit. Pics coming on interior to include new teak/holly floor, new cushions in v-berth/dinette/helms seats, new window in cabin door, painting laminate walls, teak trim etc. which go along with other improvements ie: AIS, bus heater, LED lighting etc. Now to finish up and put some hours on....
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"