Alexseal

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Navatech

Alexseal

Post by Navatech »

Anybody have personal experience painting their boats with Alexseal?!... I saw a boat done here at the marina and I very much liked the result...
Tony Meola

Re: Alexseal

Post by Tony Meola »

Nav

I have never seen it used or used it, but a couple of years ago, if memory serves me correctly, the subject did come up on this board. I believe it was rated up there with Awlgrip.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.ph ... eal#p68052

Nave

I lied. This post reminded me I have seen a Alexseal paint job. I can attest, since I know the boat, yes it looks great. The owner sold it since he stepped up to a 38 Henriques, but it was a nice paint job. Not as good as Jimmy G's but really nice.

Gert has not been on here for a while but if he pops on, maybe he has some experience with it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Nav...

I might be saying something you already know, but when I was gathering info on having my boat painted using different systems I was advised by several respected painters and boatyard managers to choose the painter first and then choose the paint system he was most comfortable with. Personally I went with Awlcraft 2000 for that reason. This was a good decision in my case because it is easier than some other paint systems to do touch-up repairs. I have to believe all well known systems will produce a great looking result if they are applied properly.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Nav - Worton Creek was proposing to use Alexseal on my B25. I asked them for a "repairable" finish.

Frank - Who did you use for paint on your B33? Are they still in Wilmington? My boat is back in the Lost Sailor boat shed for the winter. I need to finish the "transom module" (last of the modular assemblies) up here and then it needs paint...fairing first.

Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Cam...

I used Matt Winchell to shoot the paint.. My deal with him was that I would do all the prep work and he would take care of the application. Since I was in the same building as Matt he would occasionally come over and check my work and offer good advice.

I saw many boats he painted.. the work has always been excellent.

He is in the Smith Creek Boatyard building here in Wilmington. I can't find his number at the moment.. if you need it let me know and I will get it for you.
Frank B
--------------
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Ha! I see your Pheonix is eye candy on the website, Frank! Looks good!

http://www.smithcreekboatyard.com/Storage.html

I'll give Matt a call. I need to find an economical path to a "reasonable" paint job - cover, stick, last a while. I am not willing to spend $20k - $30k for paint!

thanks!
Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Nav, I had my 31 painted with this product. After five years it still looks like the day is was painted. I was told that if any scratches or other damage was done to her, the repair would be easier than with other paint products, I can not attest to this as I have not incurred any damage to this point. Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Cam..
Thanks for the info on the Smith Creek site.. I knew they took a lot of pics when "Phoenix" was launched, but I never looked at their new web site so I didn't know her pics were there.

Smith Creek is a do-it-yourself boatyard.. there are no employees working on customer's boats, you can hire your own contractor (has to meet insurance reqts) or use Matt Winchell (he usually has 2-4 employees depending on the workload). I was there for two years.

The red crane in the 21st pic in the gallery has an interesting past.. it is barge mounted and was originally steam powered. They had to cut about 15-20 feet out of the boom, it was too long for the space they had. It is now hydraulic powered. I was inside it after all the steam stuff was removed but before they repowered it, and it had so much room somebody could live in it.

Russ..
If you are speaking of using AwlCraft 2000, I can verify it can be retouched to hide any damage. I had a 30" scratch that was repaired, and it is impossible to see where it was.
Frank B
--------------