Kiwi Grip

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tony Meola

Kiwi Grip

Post by Tony Meola »

I know we have a lot of information on the site about non skid, but has anyone seen or used Kiwi Grip?

I keep hearing about how good it is, but have never seen it, and I don't trust other sites when it comes to the looks of a boat. I keep thinking if it is not really a good product, how the hard will it be to remove and re-do. Want to only do non skid once.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
34Hatt

Re: Kiwi Grip

Post by 34Hatt »

I can help with my experience with it.

I bought it to do the cockpit and the gunnel area the first year I only got the gunnels done. It is tricky to get a finish I like it all comes down to how much you put down on the surface the more product applied the coarser the finish which results in holding dirt. I did achieve a look that was acceptable to me after some practice. What I found after the first year is it can stain and I could not get them out, that was unacceptable and it was just the gunnel' cockpit see's even more abuse so last year I did the floor with Awlgrip sprayed it and I am much happier with that. I am now doing the rest of the boat it does sand off easy. If you did a darker color it would be better to hide those spots but would be hot mine was pure white which shows everything. I did a Matterhorn white which looks like a light gray next to the pure white.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Fishin Tom
Location: Stuart, Florida and Holtz Boatworks, Southern New Jersey

Post by Fishin Tom »

[imgImage[/img]

This is the results we get when spraying Awlgrip nonskid. The picture shows Coarse and fine mixed 50/50 and soaked in T0003 reducer prior to mixing into paint and sprayed out of a siphon gun with large tip. After application a second coat of Awlgrip is applied to seal the nonskid in place.

We've been doing it this way for a long time and are very happy with the uniform and detailed results.

Tom Oakes
Holtz Boatworks
Southern New Jersey
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony,

A friend of mine used it on his little 17 foot skiff. It was easy to work with and came out really nice. Gives a good grip to the deck and looks nice. That being said it doesn't look as good as what Tom posted or how Raybo did my top sides. I wouldn't use it on the Bert personally.

Pete
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Very Helpful.

I need to redo my decks, and I was hearing great things about it. The staining would be an issue. I could live with a light grey deck but not a real dark color.

Tom, the Awl Grip shots look great.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

I did all fine but loaded up good on the first coat then added just a little bit in the second coat. Happy with the results now just have to finish it including the hatch's yes that is plywood with primer it was time to use it and thought I would get them done during the summer which did not happen!
I sprayed also.

I did not soak the non skid in thinner what does that trick do to it?

Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Fishin Tom

Post by Fishin Tom »

Soaking the Awlgrip non skid in the thinner/reducer allows the crystal/spheres to absorb or get completely soaked with the paint liquid and prevents or minimizes the clumping that can occur when you are so close to a finished job. I also keep two SS ball bearings in the cup of the spray gun to keep the stuff moving around while working with nonskid or metallics.

Tom
spencer

Post by spencer »

Tom,

not to derail the thread, are you painting boats in stuart also?
I am finishing up the wiring on the boat and then will need a complete
paint job

Spencer
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dan

That is Kiwi Grip that you sprayed correct?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Fishin Tom

Post by Fishin Tom »

Hay Spencer:

I'm not painting boats in Florida. I just have a home in Stuart and am a FLA resident working at the yard I owned for 26 years. There are plenty of excellent and talented painters in southern Florida. The Ways down in the Jupiter area, the A & J Yard in Stuart, American Yacht in Stuart. They can all do the 31 Justice and make her stand out in a crowd.

We use Awlgrip exclusively in NJ and will continue to do so while on my watch. Good luck in the future and if I can help in any way feel free to contact me.

Tom Oakes
Holtz Boatworks
Southern NJ

Remember " Even a fish can stay out of trouble if it kept his mouth shut"
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Tony Meola wrote:Dan

That is Kiwi Grip that you sprayed correct?
No that is Awlgrip with their fine additive. After doing the gunnels with Kiwi I was not happy with it so I am doing it all with Awlgrip.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dan

Thanks.

It looks great.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315