She's torn apart good...is she safe to move??

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

msteimer
Standing Member

She's torn apart good...is she safe to move??

Post by msteimer »

Guys,

I'm planning on building a stimson bow roof shed around the boat soon. I'm tired of dealing with shrink wrap and no space around the boat to work. I've spent the summer removing and replacing rotten wood in the cockpit and salon. Cockpit replacement is complete, but I've taken out some of the wood in the salon and haven't gotten it back in yet. As pictures show I've removed the full bulkhead at salon entry and part of knees (technical term??) tabbed into hull sides.

The marina wants to move the boat across the yard where there is more space. Is she safe to put on a trailer now and move? Or do I need to replace the bulkhead and knees before it moves?

Any insight would be helpful. Sorry if my nomenclature is off...I'm a novice in the boat repair game but am learning through trial and error.

Thanks,
Mark

Howesounder

Re: She's torn apart good...is she safe to move??

Post by Howesounder »

I would not hesitate to put the boat on a trailer and move it myself. The integrity of just the hull and stringers will be plenty, let alone the top part of the hull capping the hull. (I am nomenclature ignorant myself) My qualifications are only a knowledge of what I have seen on my 25 express bertam, and 40 years of mucking with boats, so you might want to wait to hear from a 28er. I suspect it's going to be a green light though.

Steve
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

I'd say she is fine to move across the yard..hauling her 1000 miles maybe not. Looks like you got some good side to side bracing with the bulkheads. When I took my 31 apart I took a bunch of measurements and when I cut the top free she didn't move. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Howesounder wrote: so you might want to wait to hear from a 28er.
I wish my 28 was soooo big ! She looks like a 35 or 38 to me.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
msteimer
Standing Member

Post by msteimer »

Thanks, guys. Yes it's a 35...kinda wish it was a 28 now so there wasn't so much crap to fix...
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Mark,
I wouldn't worry about moving the boat for a short distance, if your going a long way I would put some cross bracing at the rear of the fly bridge overhang just for safety factor.
Pete