Endurance

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jrhaszard

Endurance

Post by jrhaszard »

There is some range discussion going on at " Swap and Sell" forum. I am curious about my range/endurance. My 1980 FBC has 270 HP Cummins. I always want to go to the North Carolina gathering, but something always gets in my way. Bypass operation, death of a friend, etc. I have no Idea of my fuel consumption because I just fish in the Chesapeake and there is a long slow cruise out the river at low speed and then just trolling. I usually wind it up getting to the channel and blow 'em out on the way in. Haven't made any long trips, so I'm soliciting comments from those who do know roughly what i can expect for a longer trip at 2200 RPM.
Any comments greatly apprediated. .......... John/Josue LRC L/D MAX
BERG1847M80F
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Endurance

Post by mike ohlstein »

1.5 mpg
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

John: There is a 50 gallon saddle tank that goes between the engines in the Swap Sell section right now.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
neil

Post by neil »

Our boat is a little heavier then most and we usually get around 1.3 knautical miles per gallon at 22 hundred rpms
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

You freakin' diesel guys... So boring, no threat of catastrophic explosion and debating 1.3 or 1.5 nm/gal.
Those of us running high-test have to cheat and calculate sm/gal just to break 1...

Possunt quia posse videntur
jrhaszard

Post by jrhaszard »

Well I can live with that fuel burn. Thanks for the input, guys.

Rawleigh, I would love to have that 50 gallon saddle tank but I believe it is spoken for several times over. Would you care to go out on my boat this Saturday?
BERG1847M80F
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

JR

Tom is going to be running the 220 Cummins. His burn will be slightly better than yours or mine. I also have the 270's. Have not had a chance to push her to the Canyons since the re-power, but now that I am retired, I think it is on my docket for next year.

I estimate I am burning around 15 gals an hour at about 23 knots. Figure 3.5 to 4 hours to the Hudson on a good day, That is a 60 gallon burn covering lets say 100 miles. Carrying 220 gallons, I figure I can push her close to 350 miles, then I caqn listen for that big sucking sound when she is dry.

Tom has 25 more gallons than I do, so he can probably push it a little further, but he will also be running around 19 knots.

If you do a search, you might find a post from Walter Kaplien, who also ran the 220's. I do believe at one time he posted his fuel burn.

By the way I think Stephan is showing some envy for the Diesel guys.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony. The first I'm hearing of your retirement. Congrats! Maybe you'll have time to make it to Greenport this year.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

The Company is moving to Charlotte. If I went, and if they invited me, I would have had to guarantee them that I would stay at least 2 years, or I would have to pay back all the relo costs. They really did not want any of the older long term employees to move, so they really did not make it attractive.

I am 65 in January, I said not worth it, replace me, besides, new management, a merger, things getting really bad and I was putting in 15 hour days, weekends, plus the 11 at night phone calls and why were you not online on sunday night questions. I said to myself time to go.

Everyone I worked with, has bailed out, basically no one left from the old management.

The new CFO had a home and husband in Charlotte, the new CEO had no preference, so hence the move.

I really want to try and make the trip to Greenport if the timing is right.

I have yet to meet Capt. Pat, and others. I made AC one year, met Harv and a few others. Unfortunately, most of that group has moved on.

Lets see what 2016 brings all of us.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Enjoy it Tony!
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
jrhaszard

Post by jrhaszard »

Tony,
Why don't you try to make it down to the Ft lauderdale boat show?
BERG1847M80F
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Thanks I will. I am enjoying the fact that I am not getting the 11 at night phone calls. But like Pavlov's dog, when the phone rings late at night I get the shakes. That should go away in time.

JR

I did give it a thought, but I actually have a commitment that weekend. Maybe next year. Would love to have attended the Bertram role out.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

phoenix has a 231 gallon tank with a offshore race boat pickup that goes to the bottom of tank and will go 400 miles with 30 mile safety margin more if i slow down.i get close to 2mpg in a minimum of 2 foot waves.the boat was desigh and build to "run on top of waves" in dead calm waters i feel like i am towing a boat behind and fuel economy will go down accordingly .the alantic ocean in the northeast very rarly remains flat and will change by noon for sure.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

bob lico wrote:phoenix has a 231 gallon tank with a offshore race boat pickup that goes to the bottom of tank and will go 400 miles with 30 mile safety margin more if i slow down.i get close to 2mpg in a minimum of 2 foot waves.the boat was desigh and build to "run on top of waves" in dead calm waters i feel like i am towing a boat behind and fuel economy will go down accordingly .the alantic ocean in the northeast very rarly remains flat and will change by noon for sure.
Bob

Dead flat causes a drag on all boats. A slight riple makes a big difference. Cuts the drag.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony Phoenix is a very heavy 31 bertram to be more precise the waterline is 4" over the chine at the transom when fuel up.this contributes to the avast drop in fuel economy in dead flat water more so then most 31 fbc. the only difference is 70% of the weight is aft of main bulkhead allowing her to run with the devil in rough water staying slightly bow proud to 32 knots and level off at 34.so when we put the speed of the boat at 2100-2200 rpm you can understand the 400 mile range.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

jrhaszard wrote: Rawleigh, I would love to have that 50 gallon saddle tank but I believe it is spoken for several times over. Would you care to go out on my boat this Saturday?
John: I would have loved to go out with you (beautiful day too), but my 91 year old Godfather (who was like a second dad to me) had his gall bladder removed Friday in Richmond and I did not see your post until today. I have been on the road every day since Thursday to take care of him. Maybe I can get a rain check?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31