Quick access gun safe-off topic

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Quick access gun safe-off topic

Post by MarkS »

Anyone have an opinion on a decent quick vault? I have a couple of these and they are battery powered touch button. They eat batteries like a dog on a steak. Its just stupid. i saw one once that had a 110/120 back up wire but it seams they no longer make that model.

Of course just when you need it the batteries might be dead so what good is it? The GunVault I have maybe lasts 2 months on 10 AA's and you need 2 left hands and drain snake to change them!

Thanks all....
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Yannis

Re: Quick access gun safe-off topic

Post by Yannis »

Mark,

Before you decide, get in u-tube and see how they crack open any vault; key vault, combination, etc.Then you,ll realize how useless vaults are, unless you want to keep off children and/or wife... By the way, how often can one need a gun?
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

By the way, how often can one need a gun?
A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

It is exactly for that Yannis. I have other safe guards for uninvited guests.

What Patrick said......

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

mark I have the stack on
holds 2 hand guns nicely, also AA batt
Ive had mine for 6 months and batts are still good
have a key for back up
1968 hull # 316 - 757
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

That ones on my short list Charlie.

Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I don't understand.
You mean to say that you will use a gun to protect yourself inside your property? Then why have it locked in a safe?
Hang it over your bed on the wall.
Now if you want to go hunting, thats another story.
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Yannis,
I have guests in my home sometimes with small children. I have a step daughter who has two small children. This is to keep others safe.

Yes I would use a gun for protection in my home.

Although it is a dying art in the states I refer to it as personal responsibility.

Captn Bruce

Post by Captn Bruce »

Mark,

I'm the GM for V-Line ind. We make quick access cases designed with Simplex mechanical locks, no batteries to go dead or finger prints that can't be read. Our cases are made 100% at our facility here in Simi Valley CA.

We have 2 heavy duty units made out of 10 and 12 gauge steel and are very difficult to compromise. Access is 2 seconds or less. http://www.vlineind.com.

Seeing we are both cheeseheads I can make you a good deal or anybody else from the sandbox.

If you have any questions about quick access cases let me know, I've tested all of them.
Bruce D.
28 Bertram "Noelle Mae"
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Very nice boxes Capt.

Group buy..............

Yannis, its called being a responsible gun owner which the overwhelming majority are despite liberal media.
Now if we were allowed to actually teach Eddie Eagle NRA programs in school(gun responsibility) there would be no need to lock them up. My generation grew up without safes and boxes yet shooting involving kids were rare.

I remember many times as a kid carrying my 22 on my bike to the train yard to plink. If a kid did that today he' d be shot by the po po.

If we've come a long way according to progressives, its all been in reverse.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

What can I say, you may be right.
What I know, however, is that you may need a gun to protect you, only if the bad guy has one too. And if they do, chances are there's gonna be a mess if any of you uses it.
Best is if nobody has a gun. So you don't need one. Inasmuch as you may not need a parachute if you don't fly...
It is the mentality of " I need a gun to protect myself" that leads to less protection; look around you and you may agree with me. Which society is safer, the one where everyone can obtain a gun or the one where no-one can?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Let's not be lured into a discussion of gun control here. That's an area for Politics, (Why Not?)
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Captn Bruce

Post by Captn Bruce »

Group buy is possible.

If any interest I would prefer to communicate through email or pm's.

The prices would be well below any advertised or online pricing.
Bruce D.
28 Bertram "Noelle Mae"
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Check your email Capt Bruce.
Thanks

Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I sent an email as well. Thanks
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:Before you decide, get in u-tube and see how they crack open any vault; key vault, combination, etc.Then you,ll realize how useless vaults are, unless you want to keep off children and/or wife...
There are more movies on Youtube showing how car locks and domestic (house/apartment) locks are even easier to crack... According to your logic these locks would be useless... Do I understand correctly that your house, car and boat are unlocked?!... I don't think so... The fact is that everything is crackable... The purpose of locks, safes etc are to be a deterrent as well as a time and effort barrier...
Yannis wrote:By the way, how often can one need a gun?
I have 2 rafts, 1 EPIRB and 2 PLB's as well as a ditch bag with all kinds of goodies on my boat... In addition, I have 5 extinguishers on board... One could ask how often I would need any of those items... The fact is that I hope never to have to use ANY of them... But I feel a lot better having them on board... And, should the brown stuff hit the oscillating thingy I'll be very happy to have them on board...

One edit, sorry Capt. Pat. I saw your admonishment only after having posted this...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Nav,

I agree on everything.

My point was that if you need a gun to ptotect yourself, you'll probably need it very quickly.
And if you have to deal with vaults with dead batteries, or keys to find etc, it might be too late.
I suggested that since these home vaults are easy to crack anyway, perhaps the top shelf of your wardrobe might be a better hiding place, given that kids cannot reach that high.

As far as to whether possesing a gun is good or not, that is another issue that can be discussed in the politics section as per capt. Pat's desire. For me there is not much to discuss though.

(I also have 4 extinguishers and +50% more lifevests, plus that airtight goodies bag. It would be nice to know what you put into your's - is there a coast guard list for that? )
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:My point was that if you need a gun to ptotect yourself, you'll probably need it very quickly.
And if you have to deal with vaults with dead batteries, or keys to find etc, it might be too late.
And that's exactly why these gun safes are equipped with keyless locking devices (most of these have a key backup)... The 2 options are finger print reader (requires batteries) and combination lock... The OP was looking for alternatives for the one he already had because it was chewing up batteries like it was going out of fashion...
Yannis wrote:I suggested that since these home vaults are easy to crack anyway, perhaps the top shelf of your wardrobe might be a better hiding place, given that kids cannot reach that high.
As captain of 4 mates (2 boys & 2 girls) I have to tell you that kids are extremely resourceful!!! Owning a gun means having to be responsible... After all, it's not a toy... The point of these safes is not to provide bank vault like security for your possessions... It's to make access (especially by kids) non-trivial... Originally I used a trigger lock for safety... But fumbling for a key is not really that good an idea so I got a safe with a combination lock... Not ideal but still faster...
Yannis wrote:(I also have 4 extinguishers and +50% more lifevests, plus that airtight goodies bag. It would be nice to know what you put into your's - is there a coast guard list for that?
Size and type of extinguishers is also important... Though significantly more expensive the extinguishers I have on board are mostly Halotron (a environmentally acceptable replacement for Freon/Halon 1301)... The reasons are effectiveness and practically no cleanup after discharge... The only "conventional" extinguishers I have are the two 2.2 LB units I have on the bridge...

As for my ditch bag, I'm starting a new thread on that...
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

If the guns stored in the locker do not require ready access, why would on introduce the complexity of an electrically powered lock into the situation -stick with a combination lock and be done with the problem (unless you're prone to forgetting combinations, which presents another problem).