Rear bulkhead removal

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Goober

Rear bulkhead removal

Post by Goober »

Question for anyone with more sence than me . A local guy recently bought a 31 fbc and is considering removing rear bulkhead to achieve a sport fish model ,is this no1 possible no2 any structural and lateral strength lost . Boat is equipped with 3208 cats and is a charter boat and owner wants to open it up so all customers can get into / watch the action . Flybridge has small amount of metal with Bimini any advice is always good.BR Goober.
Navatech

Re: Rear bulkhead removal

Post by Navatech »

AFAIK some 31's actually came out of the factory without that rear bulkhead so I guess it can be done... However, it been a charter boat and knowing that quite a few customers (your's truly included) like to be up there unless the owner is going to severely limit his customers he might want to look into somehow supporting the FB...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

It has been done. YOu need to reinforce the bridge area around the rear bulkhead. I believe there is a discussion about it, but you will need to search the site.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Goober

Post by Goober »

thanks guys I will pass the info along BR Goober
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.ph ... ead#p91197

Here is a post on Vince Luciano's boat. See if this helps.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Vince Luciani

Post by Vince Luciani »

BR,

I did remove my rear bulkhead (reference the post by Tony). As the post indicates, I still have a small "sway" since I removed it (and I have the Sportfish model). It's not enough to appear dangerous, but enough that I don't particularly like it. I don't really think that it is the pilasters that are moving, but rather I think it is the gunnels supporting the pilasters that are yielding.

I have mixed feelings about removing the bulkhead. I and many of the passengers of the boat (especially the wife!) like the openness of the cabin without the bulkhead. However, I go out in some rough weather and don't like to see any movement at all. For now, I plan to do some reinforcing like JP discussed in his posts mainly in the area of the gunnels where the pilaster is supported. I will take some pictures when I do the work. Hope this info helps. Feel free to call me if you wish to discuss further (302) 430-9544.

Vince
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I was considering removal of the rear bulkhead---but decided to go with big windows and no door----really opened up the cabin and kept the support.