PeterPalmieri

New Bridge Canvas

Post by PeterPalmieri »

1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
PeterPalmieri

Re: New Bridge Canvas

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Just finished this up...

Removed the old railing, misc. hardware and the windshield. Filled the holes, you can see didn't finish that part up yet.

I kept really good notes from JPs Chimera and used Charlie's canvas guy, Matt Linhart, very nice guy that does good work.

It is 1 piece of strataglass, there is a 4" mesh vent along the top front which should give me some air circulation.

I only brought it around on the side enough to keep the elements off. I found coming all the way back with my old canvas made it to hot. Also needed space to swing up from the ladder on either side. And eventually be able to deploy outriggers.

There is a track along the top, there is also a track along the bottom with a small piece of canvas that zippers to the top. All the overlaps have velcro to keep a decent seal.

Simple project but I am very happy with the results.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Looks good.

I see you eliminated the railing behind the bridge seat. How does that feel moving around without something to grab on to in sloppy weather?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony,

The jury is still out. I can grab onto the top above my head and the rear stantion when climbing up and down. In the fall I generally drift in sometimes pretty crappy conditions so I will really evaluate what I want to do at that point. I also grab on the chair sometimes.

I am considering either an additional rail welded on the stations of the top running forward to aft like the Tropic star boats have. The other option is to have something welded across the back of the top which would also serve as a rocket launcher. Or maybe I leave it as is.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony if I had to do the bridge seating over I would likely do a double wide seat centered on the bridge. That way I could come up either side. Have plenty of space for myself or even squeeze two kids up there with me on either side when we are just cruising. I'd also not have to get up when someone wanted to get down. It would also be nice to have a little cooler space for some drinks/snacks and dry storage for a sweatshirt underneath. I think this is pretty much what Marlin did.

With that the backrest could have a handrail built in like you see on a center console.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

looks great pete
glad your happy with matts work
1968 hull # 316 - 757
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thanks Charlie. Really nice guy it was a challenge to get him to travel all the way out to me but we figured it out and he did a nice job. He's coming back to modify my winter cover soon.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Pete

Really nice. I really like the one piece. Looks great

John
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Pete ..... Nice !!!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I love the blue hulls !!!!
Never saw a bahia in blue ......
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

You would probably need a bench seat of some type if you centered it, but not sure if you could make it so that you could squeeze past both sides. Great idea though. If you raised the bench high enough, you could get a cooler under it or you could put a cabinet.

I have a small tackle cabinet under mine. It has worked great and the way it is set up I can stand on the engine box and pull out drawers to grab tackle. We had it made shortly after we got the boat. It actually helps support the bench seat.

Tony
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

I have your outriggers and bases. I also have a set of double spreader outriggers currently being used as flagpoles. They might be happier on a boat.
If you plan on redoing your top be careful with your choice of fabric. Stamoid doesn't last if pollutants are allowed to settle on it.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony Meola wrote:Peter

You would probably need a bench seat of some type if you centered it, but not sure if you could make it so that you could squeeze past both sides. Great idea though. If you raised the bench high enough, you could get a cooler under it or you could put a cabinet.

I have a small tackle cabinet under mine. It has worked great and the way it is set up I can stand on the engine box and pull out drawers to grab tackle. We had it made shortly after we got the boat. It actually helps support the bench seat.

Tony
Tony,

No way I'd consider going back to the bench seat now that it's gone. There are plenty of options that can be centered with enough room to pass on either side, maybe it's more of a shimy but no problem. There are a number of options of a double wide seat, it is like a bench so they're comfy if you sit in the middle or off to one side.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Ed Curry wrote:I have your outriggers and bases. I also have a set of double spreader outriggers currently being used as flagpoles. They might be happier on a boat.
If you plan on redoing your top be careful with your choice of fabric. Stamoid doesn't last if pollutants are allowed to settle on it.
Ed I'm not in a rush to remount the riggers but I would be happy to take them off your hands at some point. The top of my tower and winter cover are stamoid, after 5 years they are starting to show there age.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Pete,
If you put a double seat, each and every time you're two up there, you will not be sitting in the middle. At which point you might have to be asking whether you prefer company or comfiness.
Enjoy your boat with whatever you choose.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I think you guys can see in the pics that I have my seating set up complete and was just saying "if" I did it over.

What I had said was "Have plenty of space for myself or even squeeze two kids up there with me on either side when we are just cruising.". There are plenty of seat options that allow you to sit in the middle or off to the side. Everyone from Todd to Stidd make these types of seats

Quick google search
http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/helmchai ... tem_305134
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

No rush Pete, they'll be waiting for you when you're ready to remount them. Love watching the progress . The other boats get older but yours looks better every year.

As for anyone with a Stamoid top, I would call the distributor and ask for the cleaner and conditioner along with special care instructions. At the very least I would recommend frequent washing of any surface were contaminants settle.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thanks Ed. Progress is very slow
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

That looks nice Pete, really clean
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"