yanmar 230 hours

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

waggles02673

yanmar 230 hours

Post by waggles02673 »

Looking at another boat with Yanmar 230s and 2300hrs. Engine maint is up to date and the engines spin up to 3400 at WOT. What does Yanmar say the life expediency (hours) for yanmar 230s? Is 4-5000 hrs to much to expect for these engines?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: yanmar 230 hours

Post by CaptPatrick »

The Yanmar 4 bangers, (230 & 240), are designed from the beginning as commercial use marine diesels. They are not marinized road vehicle engines. As long as the engine have had the proper maintenance and care and continue to receive it, 4,000 to 5,000 hours before overhaul is feasible. Be sure to keep current with service bulletins and Yanmar recommended service.

I spoke with a dealer in Tampa years ago who specialized in powering Mexican commercial fishing boats with the 230s and those boats were getting above 4,000 hours without being majored.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
waggles02673

Post by waggles02673 »

Capt Pat thank you very much.
Bill Fuller

Post by Bill Fuller »

Mine have 4,200 hours on them and I honestly expect to get 10,000 hours. No oil burn and they run just like they did 15 years ago.
Like all other marine engine, you have to keep up on the maintenance.
Fantastic motors!
Bill
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

There is no reason you shouldn't get high hours out of theses engines if they have been well maintained. Paper records can be faked so an oil sample is wise. Also the engines should be looked at for severe paint discoloration(except at turbo housing and intake inlet) which could be a sign of over heating. Look for gasket maker sealer used where parts go together. Its a sign the engine has had repairs.

A survey I did for a customer buying a 1 year old boat with 75 hours on it claimed to have no issues.
The first thing I noticed was that both engine had orange gasket maker on both front gear covers indicating they had been apart. When I inquired to the broker to what was up, he claimed it was factory. As a dealer I assured him it was not and suggested to the owner to walk away which he did never getting a satisfactory reason for the repairs.
Goober

Post by Goober »

I have 4lh dte 170 hp in my b31 ,maybe a little small but very economical , documented hours are 7900 plus on both engines. Keep in mind oil filters and racors are replaced every 200 hrs. Trans. oil usually last longer .previous owner furnished records but oil samples are best way to go . My advice is make a schedule of maintainance and stick to it, no matter. My engines have the same brand of oil since new . I bought different filters which I find to be better quality, u b the judge. PROPER maintainance is the key. BR Goober