Fuel Problems

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

J Clark

Fuel Problems

Post by J Clark »

I sure this has been addessed before, but I need some advice on cleaning up my fuel/fuel tank. I purchased a 1964 31' FBC last September, it is powered with 6LYA STP Yanmars, and has a 4.0 Mase genset. The boat was sea trialed, then back in her slip. Supposedly the Racor filters were changed at about twenty (20) hour intervals! I changed the filters this past weekend, and they were full of a black oily substance, so bad I dismantled the filter housing and cleaned out the sediment bowls. The fuel appears to be dark. I have heard about the Agae-x system and have read extensively about fuel break down, mositure build up and retention, and the formulation of solids. I do not know if the tank was changed in the 2003/04 refit. Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.
nic

Post by nic »

Hi,

Bruce on this site will be able to tell you exactly what should be done.

As a new owner of Yanmars that have just had their 50hr service I would be ceasing operation of the engines until the secondary filters were examined/replaced and all fuel in the tank removed and the tank thoroughly cleaned and fuel replaced.

We converted from gas to diesel and faffed around ourselves for three days and nights emptying the gas, hosing water/detergent through with mixed results. Then we got in the professionals with their oil removal/disposal truck and within an hour of super sucking/washing that tank was perfect. Removing the fuel pick up plate at the aft end of the tank provides excellent access for the suckers hose and we removed the filler plate at the front of the tank and put a fire hose in there. One hour did it!

Those with more knowledge can tell you whether the injectors may have been damaged and whether they will need to be checked.

Good luck,

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Jim,

Bruce shared on this topic several weeks back, but I was unsuccessful in my attempt to find his post.

Bruce,

I'm hoping you can advise on how to get Jim up and running ASAP as I'm going to see him in 2 weeks, and a boat ride would be in order. Thanks!

Tommy
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

There's a difference between algae, which is a growth and is usually stringy looking in appearance and sludge which is more mud like.

You tackle each problem differently.

Algae means you have moisture and growth inside the tank. Many times most of the algae will attach itself to the tank insides. When you shock the tank using a biocide, all that algae falls into the tank to be caught in the filters unless you polish the fuel.

You can easily clog filters every few hours with a bad algae problem.

Sludge or sediment is usually from the retailers tanks and the result of filling up after they get a load of fuel or when they are low. There is supposed to be a filter on the pump, but I have seen older or more run down marinas have no filter in the canister at all because it clogs up.

One other thing is that sometimes #2 fuel oil or home heating oil has been delivered in place of diesel fuel. They are almost identical but some #2 fuel oil has used motor oil mixed with it and burns dirtier. This usually results in a smokier burn.

Most likely your running 30 micron in the primary.
You cleaned them out and installed new filters. Invest in the Racor vaccum guage that replaces the T handle and install.

Change the secondary, it is before anything that could be damaged by dirt.

Run the engines and watch what happens with the filters. If you dirty up another set or lay sediment in the bowl, call the fuel polish guys.

Good fuel should be clear or yellowish in tint. Off road diesel has a red dye.

Dark fuel is dirt, old fuel or home heating oil.

The diesel fuel we get in the states is very poor in quality as compared to what you get in Europe. Its shelf life seems to diminish faster every year.

Old fuel has a distinct smell. If your not sure what it smells like, go put a quart of clean diesel in a container and smell it. Then smell your fuel.

If your fuel smells like a 3 year old can of varnish, get rid of it. The reduced quality can damage the engine.

How many total hours since the repower and has the boat sat for months at a time?

Forget the algae x for now.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thanks Bruce....you and patrick always come through for us.
J Clark

Bruce's fuel advice.

Post by J Clark »

Bruce, Thanks for the advice. The engines have 278 hours(total) and the genset 168 hours (total). I believe they were installed late in 2003 or early 2004. The boat has been fueled at a old marine facility, since it came to Georgetown. I moved the boat to a new marina, but have not put any fuel in the boat, nor have I run the boat more than an hour since September of 06. I will check the filters (Racor 2040SM/10micron) after running the engines. I have not check the filters on the engines, I will do that before I do anything else, and proceed as you suggested. Tommy D. was right...you da man.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

being you have only ran for an hour since sept and fueled up at an old marina, I would look toward old degraded fuel.

Do the smell test. If bad, have it pumped out and tank cleaned.

Edited to add:
Don't try and use additives to recover the fuel at this point if that's what the problem is.