V-Birth/Engine Cover Cushions

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jackryan

V-Birth/Engine Cover Cushions

Post by jackryan »

All of my cushions need to be recovered (v-birth, engine cover, dinette and bridge seating). I wanted to get some opinions on type of material and color. I know that color is a personal choice, but there are some practical aspects that need to be considered. I like navy blue, but they would get way too hot in the sun on the exterior cushions. I also like white, but they will probably get too dirty too quick. I've seen some nice cushions that are mostly white with an accent stripe (green, navy). I was wondering if anyone has gone with an off white or beige color that may not show dirt as quickly, but will not heat up too much in the sun.

Second part of my question is material. Is Sunbrella the best choice for material? Any other options?

Thanks,

JR
John F.

Re: V-Birth/Engine Cover Cushions

Post by John F. »

Jack-

Back around 2002, I met Doug who had Crows Nest and he talked me into getting my interior v-berth and dinette cushions done in navy ultra-leather. We both got it, and I'm glad he did because 13 years later I have Crows Nest and the stuff still looks pretty great.

I had my engine box cushions on my old B31 (Anna E) done in white vinyl. It cleaned up well and lasted well. I need new box cushions for Crows Nest, and that's what I'll get. I'm going to get my box cushions made in 2 pieces per side. My old cushions, and the ones I have now on Crows Nest, are really big to store in one piece. They don't fit in the v-berth for storage, and take up too much room in the cabin. I hoping that if I get them in two pieces, I'll be able to store them in the v-berth. Just an idea.

John
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

The originals were white and actually held up well. They were vinyl.

Just as an FYI, The cushions over the starboard engine box on the FBC were in two pieces due to the ladder. The only bad part was that the cushion that everyone steps on when they come off the bridge takes a beating.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

John and Tony,

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to go with the white vinyl on the engine boxes and bridge. I'm thinking that a light color sunbrella on the exterior cushions will probably stain too easily. I'm going to talk to my upholstery guy about the ultra leather. Tony, you are right about the cushion aft of the bridge ladder. Mine is in much worse shape than the other cushions.

JR
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

What are the properties of Ultra Leather? I'm guessing it looks and feels like leather, but lasts longer and is easier to clean??

JR
Al C
Standing Member

Post by Al C »

Don't know what the material is but the color in Jimmy Gs video looks real nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXq-3iXTIHQ
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

I used the ultra leather(sewn pleats) on all my interior cushions as its comfortable to sit/sleep on, soft, for exterior use I went with a mildew resistant vinyl that I had pleats sewn into, but make sure u use a foam that is open cell to dry rapidly in face they get soaked ,sun fella will also work with the open cell ,probably more comfortable to sit on,longevity/sun tolerance may be another issue
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Jacky, I went with the ultra leather, light tan color easy to clean with any hand cleaner with pumice keeps it soft and cleans up any stains. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Marlin, Thanks for the info.

Bob, Resolute is a work of art! I love the cover boards.

JR