Detroit Diesel 8.2 Parts Help

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Detroit Diesel 8.2 Parts Help

Post by John F. »

The dry exhaust expansion joint that runs from the exhaust manifold to the turbo on my port side motor is leaking and sooting things up. The 8.2s were marinized by Johnson Towers, and the part is obsolete. A pic. is attached below. If anyone knows of where I could get a couple of these, or where I can get new ones made, that'd be great. What a pia.

John F.

1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
LesBrown

Re: Detroit Diesel 8.2 Parts Help

Post by LesBrown »

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/4-flex-pipe
Try the above ebay site you might find something there
Carl

Post by Carl »

You can try Dynaflex. Another term to ask for is SS Exhaust Bellows.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

John

What's leaking???......from the pic it appears that the flange has deteriorated and leaking exhaust.

Is the Bellow cracked?

You actually have several simple choices depending on what is really wrong with the pipe and how far you want to go with a repair.

I guess the big thing now is to know if the Bellow is cracked or not.

And if you want help I am willing to lend a hand if you have time on your side.

hb
hb
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks for the suggestions. I need to figure out my next move on this.

Harry-
The flange is corroded. It was an obvious leak--I could hear it, and stuff around that part was getting sooted up. I don't know for sure if the bellows is leaking, or if its the flange. The flange is definitely corroded up, and the bellows looks OK. There's no sign of soot on the outside of the bellows, and I can't see a crack. I'm going to call a few of the suggested places above and see what I can find regarding a replacement. Another idea is to go to the local welder, who's supposed to good, and see what he can do. That's what the local diesel parts guy told me to do--but he was pretty much out of ideas when he found out the part was obsolete.

John
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

John

Your on the right track.

If the Bellows are not cracked.....and you want to take the chance (not a bad option)......you can have a new flange made, cut off the old flange, and weld the new flange to the old Bellow assembly. I have done this several times for local boaters.

Be sure to check the condition of the Mating Flange as it may as well be damaged.

Now from here be sure to pay attention to "DETAIL". The bottom line is that when the "New/Repaired" bellow is installed it must be in a "Comfortable" state with practically no outside stresses acting upon it. In other words, when the "New/Repaired" bellow is put in place it MUST fit nearly perfect without being stretched, bent or pulled when the clamps are tightened. It is okay to bend it to make it fit before tightening the clamps. If the "Bellow" is stressed or restrained by the clamps, you can rest assured that in a short time the bellow will crack.

We always use the old Bellow to "Jig" up on the worktable to make sure we have a good representation of the original.

Hope this helps

hb
hb
John F.

Post by John F. »

It helps a lot Harry. I may get new ones made. I've emailed Marine Manifold on LI that was recommended in another thread. I may also go to the local welder guy and see what he says.
John F.

Post by John F. »

OK. Current game plan is as follows. J&T is sending me design drawings, and Paul on LI said that he can make them (they won't be cheap). I'm going to take the ones I have now up to my local welder, and see if he can fix the flange. I have new clamps on order, and I'll try the old ones. If that doesn't work, I'll see if any of the manufacturers above have anything that'll match up using the design drawings (this seems like a long shot). If that doesn't work, I'll send the old ones and drawings up to LI, and have new ones made.

If I'm doing anything stupid, let me know. I've never had to have parts fabricated before.

John
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

I can vouch for Paul's work...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
John F.

Post by John F. »

After J&T sent me the engineering drawings I called and talked to them again...and it turns out that they have the dry exhaust expansion joints and clamps in stock. I got them today, and Crows Nest will be up in running in not time. Thanks for all your help.

John