Copper grounding strap

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ed c.

Copper grounding strap

Post by ed c. »

Where is good place to buy the copper grounding strap and bronze screws & bolts?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Copper grounding strap

Post by CaptPatrick »

Ed,

Try Storm Copper Components... I believe that I bought from them when I did Hancock's boat...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I used hanger strap. It's thicker than copper tape, and you don't have to cut sheet stock down to size.

http://www.hailiang.us/hanger-starp.htm

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Copper fasteners can usually be found at a roofing supply house, but Jamestown Dist. has them.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... &page=GRID

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yes, I know Bertram used the copper strap... They did so also on the 46's... My question is what makes the copper strap better for bonding purposes then a suitable marine cable?!... All other boats I have seen to date used cable...

The copper strap was gone (MIA) in certain parts of my boat... As a temporary measure I used cable to have a working bonding system... Working being defined as having electrical continuity among all underwater metal structures (through hulls, sea cocks, struts, rudder, shaft as well as the above water AC outlet through hull...

Long term I'm going to redo the whole system... Probably when I convert to 24 volts... Should I use strap instead of cable?!... And, if so, why?!...
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Wire works fine. If I was going to use wire though, I'd use bare wire, just to make sure that no one ever mistook it for something it isn't. The advantage to the strap is that you can nail it to stuff, bolt stuff to it, and as soon as you see it you know it's the bonding strap.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Faithful,
The #8 Tinned Copper Wire is available at any large marine store, its green color is recognized as a bonding conductor. It 's easier to run the wire to each fitting that you want bonded. Just make sure that you use heat activated epoxy terminal ends, captive lug style when attaching each drop to the fitting. Copper was used by Bertram when prices were low back in the old days. Just use #8 AWG Green wire.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

http://www.gacopper.com/

I bought mine from Georgia Copper.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315