IPY Estero sailboat

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Yannis

IPY Estero sailboat

Post by Yannis »

A friend just bought the 36 Estero model (used), and had it shipped from Holland (I think). I paid him a visit yesterday. I didn't know they were making that quality anymore, I had never heard of the brand name either. I'm amazed by the layout too. Nothing to do with my formica/plywood B28 ! But then again, at 288K Br. pounds naked, or 350K when you put-in all the goodies, or half a mill USD, you can do things...I personally, if I had that money, I might have applied for that trip to the moon... Nevertheless I might take him up on that little trip he proposed.

http://ipy.com/yachts/estero/showcase/
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
jspiezio

Re: IPY Estero sailboat

Post by jspiezio »

Island Packet makes a very sea kindly boat. They are a bit slow and the full keel keeps them a bit off the wind on a close reach, but they are really comfortable, safe, and pretty. I want to say the Cabo builders were somehow involved, but I think that may have been Pacific Seacraft. Good luck to your friend with her, and take him up on the trip!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:A friend just bought the 36 Estero model (used), and had it shipped from Holland (I think). I paid him a visit yesterday. I didn't know they were making that quality anymore, I had never heard of the brand name either. I'm amazed by the layout too. Nothing to do with my formica/plywood B28 ! But then again, at 288K Br. pounds naked, or 350K when you put-in all the goodies, or half a mill USD, you can do things...I personally, if I had that money, I might have applied for that trip to the moon... Nevertheless I might take him up on that little trip he proposed.

http://ipy.com/yachts/estero/showcase/

Hey, its whatever floats his boat!
It is funny to see how much they can pack into a boat when you remove motors, fuel tank and add a huge displacement hull. Yeah I was shocked first time i went down into a 3o'-ish sailboat...almost as spacious as a Carver.

Anyway, Id jump on for a trip if I were you...and be the big spender, off to pay for the fuel.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you guys.
Last time I was on a sailboat it was on a trip back from Sifnos island to Athens. For the 80 n.m. distance, we spent twelve hours and a quarter. We had left at 6 a.m. and arrived at 6:15 p.m. It was right there that I took the oath to never sail again. And although the rough weather and waves don't bother me in the least, I can almost die with the sailboat's motion when there's a lot of wave but no wind to keep you at a steady angle. So the boat pivots in all possible directions and the shore you see at a reasonable distance remains at that distance for a long while... I envy, though, the nice teak finish and shiny fixtures and modern amenities in that Island Packet. Funny I had never heard of it before.
Carl wrote:Yeah I was shocked first time i went down into a 3o'-ish sailboat...almost as spacious as a Carver.
Haha, come to think of it, that a Carver would be preferable to a classy sailboat !!!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"