Davidr0007

Aluminum Tank $$

Post by Davidr0007 »

Has anyone priced an aluminum fuel tank for a 31
DavidR
kscheben

Post by kscheben »

David,

I'm replacing my 190 gal rear glass tank in my 28 Bert with a 260 gal aluminum tank. New tank is made with 3/16 metal and will be coated. Was quoted $4,625. Thought that was robbery but started checking around. Seems that sheet aluminum has pretty much doubled over the past year. THat price is still a bit high, but not outrageously different from other ballpark quotes I got.

Ken
Davidr0007

Post by Davidr0007 »

Ken ,
Thought $1200 for a 200 gal tank was high....I hope the price was installed
David
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Aluminum is $2.30 a pound wholesale. There's a whole lot of welding there!
R Cahoon

Post by R Cahoon »

Here at Onset Bay Marina we have replaced tanks on two 28B's, tanks cost $1000. to $1250. and 30 man hours to do the job X the labor rate.

Keep Smilin
Stuart Cooperrider

Post by Stuart Cooperrider »

I've received alum tank quotes between 1200 and $1800.Oyster Harbors Marine on Cape Cod is quoting 8 large for tank and install.
Davidr0007

Post by Davidr0007 »

Stuart ,
My latest quote is in the 5K range for a 250 gal tank from Bayline Marine in New Bedford and for a 205 gal tank 4.5 K, And I think thats on the high side
DavidR
Bulletproof

New tank cost

Post by Bulletproof »

Hi David,

I spoke with Doug from Nautic in Fla and he prepared me for something between $2,000 and $2500 but wants wo hold off until I send him a print for my tank size. About 6 months ago he suggested $1800 but stainless has gone way up since then so he won't quote until I give him an order. He says he's very busy and won't take an order with a dead line. That's fine for me since I won't be going in until next summer.

Good Luck!
Paul
Paul Haggett
B31 Bulletproof
Marblehead, MA
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Just a thought on the tank replacement. I have alot of fabrication done for my business by a guy who is very good. I asked him to build me a tank. He said no. I spend $250,000 or more with this guy each year, so I was surprised by the response. He did not want the liability of building the tank. So, I had him shear and form the componants, had a certified marine fuel tank builder assemble it. It cost me $350 for the material, $300 cash and 24 beer for the assembly. 110 gallon tank. My delivery was also moved up by 4 weeks because I was supplying the material already sheared and formed. Just a thought for those frustrated by the backlog and cost of tanks.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

David

You may want to talk with Richard Kidd down Richard Bertram. I was talking with him and he plans on having a fiberglass tank, 100% ethanol proof ready in 6 to 8 weeks. He already has one for the 28 and the 31 is next. He said it is being built by the same company that builds them for Bertram Yacht. Tony Meola
Davidr0007

Post by Davidr0007 »

Thanks Tony
Will Do
DavidR
JackW

Post by JackW »

Hi David, here is my damage on a B25
26 hour labor to remove and install.
New aluminum tank with all new gas lines, plus paint. 105 gallon tank.
approx $3000.oo can't say I'm unhappy because I'm in and moving!
Thanks,
Jack
UNIQUE_NAME

Post by UNIQUE_NAME »

158 gallon epoxy coated
2 pickups
1 return
1 vent
1 filler
1 sending unit
1300 + 200 shipping from jersey to long island ny
1973 38' HATTERAS AFT CABIN
skyking

Post by skyking »

Fellas...

Could some one please give me a quick rundown on this fiberglass tank problem. I have a 82 B33FBC with one 315gal gas tank. What exactly is happening ??? Is the f/g tanks leaking, or are they dissolving. What exactly is going on. Does this f/g melt, and get into the fuel...and cause engine damage ??? Is there anyway to filter it out....man you guys got me scared...these are some huge numbers !!!! Any help apperciated..thanks

Ken
Ken
'82 33FBC w/gas
Thornwood,NY & New Port Richey,Fl
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Ken, yeah it's scary.

The fact is that ethanol will breakdown our fiberglass tanks due to the type of resin used to make them.

Once the tank starts to breakdown there's a residue which passes through filters that then solidifies in the cyl chamber causing sticky valves or imporper seating and the engine eats push rods and then itself.

Even if your tank doesn't breakdown (some have not), the ethanol fuel will leach water from the gas & atmosphere. So without good water/fuel seps the water'd down gas will cause problems. Also this will lead to the ethanol being separated from the fuel resulting in a 'low quality' fuel leading to valve and cyl-head problems. MFG will dodge the warranty repairs if your fortunate enough to have new motors, blaming "poor fuel quality".

I say it's like playing russian roulet but you only spin once then keep pulling the trigger until BANK your dead....

do a search on the old board there's lots of stuff there. There's been some good discussions on the topic.

In the end we each digest the data and discussions and make our own decisions.

br,
JohnD

"Lady D" a gas B35
R Cahoon

Post by R Cahoon »

It's problem, but siting in a boat yard every day observing, there is more reaction than action, meaning, people are swapping out tanks left and right, some minor fuel filter clogging, but nothing major to report at this time.
Clean your tank and we sell K-100 and I T WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!
K-100 is not cheap, but either is your boat.
We tested K-100 and Starion(spelling maybe off) both claim the same as to be able to mix the gas with the water to make one.
Took two glass jars filled with gas/water mix 80/20 shook, let settle, Starion had separtated, the k-100 was one and one color of gas. In addition, we took a oil pad put equal size pad in both jars, Starion nothing was absorbed, K-100 everything was absorbed, remember the oil pads don't pick up water!!!!!!!!!
See at the Bluffs

Keep Smilin
UNIQUE_NAME

Post by UNIQUE_NAME »

r cahoon:

based on the tanks i've seen and engine problems i've seen and experienced i'm afraid i would disagree in the strongest possible way to you're statement "but nothing major to report at this time".
1973 38' HATTERAS AFT CABIN
R Cahoon

Post by R Cahoon »

Unique Name
As I professed, it is a problem, a definiate problem. When I was stating no major problems I should have clairified that we have not seen major problems here at Onset Bay Marina with our customer base or any of the many transients we get.
Massachusetts has only had ethanol since May 1st. so I am sure well see more problems in time.

Keep Smilin