Electronic vs. Mechanical Controls

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

msteimer
Standing Member

Electronic vs. Mechanical Controls

Post by msteimer »

Guys,

Looking for some help in the decision making process for new controls on the B35 I'm refitting. Current setup is mechanical single function controls on the flybridge. The boat is rigged with a tower w/o controls and at some point I'd like to put controls in the cockpit too (no steering, just throttle and gear). So in the future, I'll have a need for three stations.

Space on the bridge console is tight on the 70's B35. In a perfect world, I'd do Capt Pat's console bubble with side mount mechanical controls on the bridge and dual function controls on the tower and in the cockpit. Seastar doesn't have a solution for this, and it sounds like RG Rollins might, but couldn't go with the side mount controls as they are max two station.

Now I'm thinking...usually dangerous for me...If I can't go with the sidemount (to clear up console space), should I be going with electronic. Was looking at the Seastar KE-4+ system and it looks pretty slick. But I don't like the fact that the electronics could fail. And images of that Scully that went down from electronic failure are burned into my brain.

What to do??? Are there other mechanical solutions I'm not thinking about?

Mark
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Electronic vs. Mechanical Controls

Post by CaptPatrick »

Mark,

You might look into the Kobelt Hydraulic engine controls. Through the hydraulics each station is selected thereby bypassing the other stations...

http://www.kobelt.com/products/controls/pneumatic
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
msteimer
Standing Member

Post by msteimer »

Thanks Capt Pat, will do.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Panish controls could be a solution for you. Do a web search and see what you can find. I know he worked with my dad's company to change from air to mechanical in an older Monterey. Great guy real smart as I remember.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
msteimer
Standing Member

Post by msteimer »

Talked with Rob at Panish this morning. He assured me he had a mechanical solution he could make work. Thanks for the input!