Firearms question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tooeez

Firearms question

Post by Tooeez »

It's not boat related, but I know that among the faithful there are many who are wise in the ways of weapons . . . .

Every time I turn on the TV I realize I need to add a weapon chambered for .223 to my locker. In the past I spent a lot of time with the Ruger Mini-14, which I liked a lot, so I am leaning that way, probably the collapsible stock model. Other than the AR-15, does anybody have any thoughts on anything else I should look at?
captbone

Re: Firearms question

Post by captbone »

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I have a Remington 40X single shot 223 that is a pleasure to shoot….although there is one with a 5 shot magazine that is more convenient for doing a lot of shooting.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Given your a NY resident, sticking with a ranch model mini 14 with no mods would be best. I don't think the collapsible stock is allowed in NY. You will be limited to 5 round magazines in your state also, there is no 7 rounds for the 14 although you may be able to get a large cap magazine and permanently block all but 7 rounds. Not sure if the 57' Buick sized barrel stabilizer that Ruger has to make the 14 shoot decent is okay in your state. Check with the gun shop before you buy on the current regs. You don't want to run a foul of cuomo's brown shirts.

A bolt action single shot like Mike has is better for accuracy and distance, but it depends on your exact reasons for buying one. Most bolt actions hold 3 to 5 rounds and with practice cycling the bolt can become quick since your limited to 7 round magazines.

Inside a home a 12 gauge is still the best defensive weapon for the average person. Federal has some LE rounds that keep the shot and wad together slightly longer for more concentrated shot patterns for better stopping power.

If its the zombies one is worried about, 5 rounds goes quick. Keep extras and learn to reload mags quick. The mini uses the European type magazine release and they are not drop free which adds to reloading time.

Shot placement is the key. What ever you get, practice.
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

Thanks for the input, guys. Let me start from last to first:

Bruce: zombies, so to speak, are the reason for this one, so semi-auto, a large mag and the same cartridge as the govt uses are a must. I won't be getting it in NY, so Cuomo's unconstitutional rules are not a concern (hopefully this is my last winter in this liberal sewer). I actually have a lot of trigger time with the mini-14, and I like it because it is so easy to shoot. With the iron sights anything bigger than a grapefruit and less than 100 yards away is going to have a real bad day, real quick; smaller and/or further away just means you need to take a little longer lining it up. That was the reason for the question; I was wondering if anyone had an equally high opinion of any other weapons.

Mike: I am looking for a semi-auto. I agree that for shooting just for fun single shots are great; you seem to attach more importance and care to each shot when you have to load them one at a time.

Capt. Bone: that is a great training tool. Are the indicators only for long guns, or can they be used to diagnose handgun patterns also?

Thanks again guys

Bill "Tooeez"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

I see you live in Oceanside,we had our 50th high school reunion last year anyways you can look at 20 or 30 assault rifles at the march gun show at local 25 electricians union hall,motor parkway,Hauppauge . bruce is correct here it is: no bayonet mount,no muzzle flash suppressor can not hold more then 7 rounds but they only make 5,20 or the common 30 round clip so you must use 5 and the tough one no folding stock OR handle held to operate trigger! however if you own it pre ban you may owned it as is but still cannot leave house with it or use at range with more then 5 round clip.this is the worst home defense weapon you can have if you have love ones in the house.we are talking shooting a perp.or gang force entry at 10'.proven over and over in military ;18" barrel ,pump action,handle held,with triple "O" buck is military but you can buy double "O" buck easily .remember the most important factor. the assault rifle or more likely a "Saturday night special" most be aimed while you will fire on instinct from hip with 9 - 30 caliber rounds heading for his chest,then raise and shoot in head.Dead men tell no tales! i will be at head table( suffolk county police)------bob
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
scot

Post by scot »

I have a Ruger mini 14 ranch rifle and I love it, great guns. Mine came with the flash suppressor and the black synthetic stock. If you had a sharp eye you noticed the French police on TV during the recent mess in France were all carrying mini 14s. Ruger has delivered tens of thousands of these rifles to overseas law enforcement and military agencies.

With that said, the aftermarket support for accessories aren't that great. The AR15s aftermarket accessory options are 100X that of the mini 14s. As much as I enjoy the Ruger, if I were doing it again I would go with an AR15. Just too much neat stuff out there that is made for the ARs. BUT you can't go wrong with a mini 14.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
captbone

Post by captbone »

NYS changed the magazine rule after the SAFE ACT (unconstitutional act) was implemented.

They now "allow" you to own 10 round magazines but you are only allowed to put 7 rounds in them. You can buy/own/use 10 round magazines but it illegal to load them past 7 rounds.

As I type this I get sick to my stomach that I live in a state that made me register my rifles and also says that I can not give them to my children when I pass away.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

As I type this I get sick to my stomach that I live in a state that made me register my rifles and also says that I can not give them to my children when I pass away

that's my only regret for moving back
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

You all know that once registered, its real easy to pass more legislation to outlaw them and then they know exactly where they are.
Just ask a Californian who this happened to. Or if one is concluded to be mentally unstable by the very people who themselves have proven to be mentally unstable by propping themselves above everyone else, there will be cuomo's brown shirts knocking on your door wanting your guns as has already happened.

Being judged by a group of people who really have no grasp of the human thought and behavior process(shrinks) but who bow down to their political masters as an arm of authority(himmler had the same idea)to try and eliminate a certain segment of the population deemed not worthy to be considered human is laughable. Didn't this already happen in the past a few or more times?

More useful idiots with a degree on the wall. More dangerous than 10 armed men.

Charlie you just didn't come far enough south.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

charlie i will help you out with leaving all your RIFLES to your children.meet me at march gun show and i will go thru "nics" check.MAKE SURE NONE ARE STOLEN!!!!!!! pistols will go to NCPD however you can legally will then to someone whom has a valid pistol permit.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
scot

Post by scot »

Listening to you guys discuss your state's so called, regionally imposed (unconstitutional) "laws" disheartens me at best. What happened to the right to keep and bear? Does no one remember that the mid night ride of Paul Revere was to warn people that the British are coming...TO TAKE YOUR GUNS! That part has been omitted from the history books.

Sad state of affairs boys. I suggest you guys come South, buy what you want at the local pawn shop and take it home. I would rather be charged with unlawful possession than me or my family be a crime statistic. Although I have a feeling there are more "unauthorized" weapons up there than anyone lets on ;-)

BTW> Will those hog legs to me!
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Scot I often think the same thing. Move to a more conservative clear thinking state but why give ground to these asshats? Stay and fight or watch this shit expand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1 ... l=84838260
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
captbone

Post by captbone »

The answer is not to move to another state.

This is a plague that travels. Where do you think these liberals go to retire? Florida will be the first large southern state to turn in the next 12 years. The Northeast is a lost cause but our fight does concern everyone in this nation. The FSA (free shit army) people on the golden tit of government now outnumber us and are growing fast. What happens here is a glimpse into the future. To think this can not happen in your area is ignoring history.
Major

Post by Major »

Luckily here is SC we can still have most anything. I have a Mini 14 and a few AR's and they both have their good and bad points. I would say the weakest point with the MINI is magazine choices and the barrel gets hot quick. An ar15 will still get hot but you can choose a handguard to help with that. With the mini 14 your pretty much stuck with whats there. The AR15 has tons of magazine options (more limited depending on your current rules) but they are available and even the cheaper ones are good quality. I cant say that for the MINI 14. The upper being able to be swapped out at will is another plus with the AR but I will however warn you mine grew their own lowers eventually. The AR has many fixed and collapsible stock options so you can find your fit there. The AR is easy to mount some kind of optic on if you choose to where as the Mini 14 isnt near as friendly. So for me the AR wins all the time.

While an AK has reliability on its side it doesnt have many low cap magazine options and really .223 is more available than 7.62x39 and 5.45. Its gotten to the point now we have more .223 options than we have .22 LR.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

we went thru at least 30 ak`s at the shows so don`t forget not all AK the same there is a Huge difference between a machined Russian,Bulgarian model and a cheap stamps metal Chinese crap.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

Major, thanks for the head to head comparison. I blistered my fingers a few times on a mini barrel, but didn't think about it until you reminded me. You have me leaning towards an AR . . .
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Just to add my $.02 make sure and look at Daniel Defense and Wilson Combat if you go AR.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Remember one thing. Money doesn't buy ability and skill. If one doesn't have the basic skills to shoot consistently out to range or on target, buying a high end gun won't help that.

In 25 years of teaching I can't tell you how many times the student couldn't shoot for crap and said the gun was a POS and something was wrong with it. About 5% of the time it was the gun in some way but the other 95% I would ask to try and proceed to prove them wrong.

I've competed at matches where an off the shelf Savage(600.00) with a cheap scope out shot 4000.00 custom guns from MacMillian, Georgia Precision, etc. with a skilled operator behind the trigger.

You know your skill since you have range time already with the mini 14. Buy accordingly.

BTW they do have a barrel guard for the mini 14. Remove the pin for the front sight, slide on the guard and re pin the front sight. I've install a number of them for people.

The SW MP Ar's are a good AR pattern gun to start with. They can be had for the price of a Mini 14 or cheaper.

Besides in a zombie apocalypse or heavy rioting in no go zones, one is going to be just as dead with a 3000.00 rifle as a 500.00 rifle. It makes one feel good having the gun handy, but the reality is there is so much more to surviving these types of attacks than having a gun nearby.