Being John Cranston

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Being John Cranston

Post by MarkS »

As always he sends me photos, this time while everything within 400 miles is frozen solid, most certainly just to rub it in. Note the sporty new "Woodstock" look!

72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Navatech

Re: Being John Cranston

Post by Navatech »

That's a good looking bull...
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Nice work John that is some good eating fish, one of my favorite. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Thanks for posting the pics, Mark.
We're heading out on a 2 to 3 day wahoo trip on Monday. We're going to load the old girl up, put the tabs down, and, let her eat...
John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I'm sorry to ask but are those rectangular fish edible; is there any taste to them ?
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Yannis, these are "blue water fish" which you probably don't have in the Med, but yes, they are delicious!
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Yannis,
Multiple names for the same fish, Mahi mahi, Dolphin fish or Dorado depending on the location on the planet. Like Tommy said they are tasty! Of course anything you put in front of Cranston's pie hole tends to disappear quickly! (this includes various beverages)
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:I'm sorry to ask but are those rectangular fish edible; is there any taste to them ?
The only stupid question is the one that never gets asked... The fish in question is known by several names: Dolphin, Mahi Mahi, Dorado... The bulls (males) have a pronounced brow (the rectangular part) whereas the cows (females) don't... And yes, they are VERY tasty... The taste is similar to Tuna... They are very fast growing and can live 4-5 years... In Malta they are known as Lampuka... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahi-mahi
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Tommy wrote:Yannis, these are "blue water fish" which you probably don't have in the Med, but yes, they are delicious!
Actually, "blue water fish" such as Tuna and Dolphin do make their way into the Med... Sometimes even all the way to the eastern Med... A couple of weeks ago an Israeli beach fisher caught a 20# Dolphin... It's rare but it does happen...
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

mmmmmm good eating
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you guys, now I understand !

I've been reading your posts that you'd go out for dolphins and I hadn't dared to ask why you fish dolphins, isn't it forbidden, and so on...
It proves out that by dolphins you meant mahi... what can I do...
It would be nice to make a thread about types of fish that you guys fish for the ignorant like me... And how you cook them too !!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Olivier
Standing Member

Post by Olivier »

Hello,
Dorade coryphène in french, too much in the Philippines, for me the best
fish for sashimi or fish carpaccio.
Best regards
Olivier
1972 BERTRAM 31 hull number NJZ594940686
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

most often when we reach the canyon we troll past and around lobster pots and pick up a few now the master Brewster taught me one of his amazing tricks for multiple mahi-mahi and we will set up and expound on his idea.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Nav, thanks for your post. I was in your country for several weeks and tried to learn about the Med's fish population, but never got to visit with any fishermen.

Yannis, it can be confusing, even for many here in the states. Yes, there is the dolphin fish (Also known as mahi, dorado, etc) and the dolphin mammal (also known as a porpoise) which is a member of the whale family. As stated above, the only stupid question is the one that goes un- asked.