Northeast rendevous

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

neil

Northeast rendevous

Post by neil »

It's time to start thinking about 2015 s Rendevous block island was mentioned when we left Greenport,ideas and suggestions are needed
1962 31

Re: Northeast rendevous

Post by 1962 31 »

POINT PLEASANT WOULD BE AWESOME!! MAN I SPENT BIG MONEY ON GAS LAST YEAR
STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

I am sure Point Pleasant is a get place, I guess the NE rendezvous has become more of a long island rendezvous, Green port is more than 120 miles for me and I live on the south side of the cape. Perhaps the NE should include some of us from New England, or perhaps separate it to a NE and NJ/NY thing. None of us want to go thru 300 gallons of gas at $5 per gallon. The largest crowd by far was Montauk, years ago. I think we had more than 30 boats and quite a few fly ins, like Andre, UV and Capt Pat., Newport was good, Block did well, but many did not like rafting, I did the one on the Vineyard, which was 15+, I think, boats.

Big thing is, there are a lot of boats north of the cape, hell Timmy use to take Huns old Hat at 14 Knots down from Newburyport to Newport and only run over a few fish traps. But any farther had he would have driven. Block is sorta half way, but even then a long push for many. If anyone thought 2 locations might work for more people, maybe that would work. Just a thought. I went to the first 4 or 5, but have not gone to the last few due to the distance/cost.
Scott Traenkle
neil

Post by neil »

Tom,you will be burning fuel this summer not gas,you will notice the savings and scot we are thinking about the block island boat basin not Champlin's we make the 128 mile trip all the time it's like going to the east side of the hundred square .we need to think about. It cause the sooner we decide the easier it will be to find a place that can acommidate us
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

the only draw back with block is the its not as assessable to the people coming by land
1968 hull # 316 - 757
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

Neil ill still be a gasser this summer probably going to do the repower next winter I think I secured nice heated inside storage next winter o ya and free!!!!
ill go back to long island but im running the ocean both ways the sound was a nice trip but wayyyy longer it was 90 Manasquan to shinnecock?? I think I did over 90 just on the sound
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Where was it held in Montauk? Greenport is 70 mile run for me. I'm in wherever we decide and will lend a hand in getting it put together. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

1962 31 wrote:Neil ill still be a gasser this summer probably going to do the repower next winter I think I secured nice heated inside storage next winter o ya and free!!!!
ill go back to long island but im running the ocean both ways the sound was a nice trip but wayyyy longer it was 90 Manasquan to shinnecock?? I think I did over 90 just on the sound

Tom

For you coming out of Manasuan or me coming out of Barnegat, the straight shot to the tip of the Island takes us just about over the tip of the Hudson. You can load up on Yellowfin and supply the team with tuna steaks from Dinner.

Does Block fog in a lot? Could be rough if that happens.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Scott,

I don't think it's a long island thing. Jersey would tend to exclude the New England guys and New England would exclude the Jersey guys. I live on Long Island and it's a 90+ mile run to Greenport. Greenport, Block Island or Montauk would all seem to be somewhat centralized. That being said Neil and Bob who seem to have the longest trips from opposite ends always make it. Has anyone researched a NYC location like Chelsea? As far as Block goes am I correct in assuming it's accessable from Montauk via a ferry or from Connecticut via a ferry that allows cars?

I defer to those who regularly make it via sea and am happy to help however I can.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

[quote="PeterPalmieri"]

That being said Neil and Bob

hahaha
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Pete-
ferry from Montauk is once a day there and back. Easy short trip, no cars.
Car ferries from Point Judith RI all day there and back.
One or two car ferries a day from New London CT as well.

NYC for the rendezvous? Could work. Chelsea Piers and North Cove on the NYC side are nice, but really roll a lot with all the wakes. Newport Yacht Club also rocks and rolls all day.

Liberty Landing is by far the best protected, and there is a ferry there that leaves every 15 minutes for NYC.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Sorry Tom you got a haul too. Maybe gas prices will stay low for your last gas season!
neil

Post by neil »

NYC does not appeal to us ,perhaps montauk or newport
neil

Post by neil »

I spoke with star island yacht club this morning,they could accommodate us the weekend of July 31 and August 1 st.they have a big bass tournament that weekend,it's the full moon tournament,they assure me that they could put at least 15 31 s together at the center dock the tournament starts at 6 pm fri and ends the following night you are allowed to come and go as you choose.i know charlie can catch them and so can we they also have a picnic area for Fridays pot luck dinner and said if we have a party of say 50 that t hey could do something for Saturdays dinner.we would need to have a dozen of us committ by let's say april
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Count me in. Montauk would be great. Star Island is a great location, been to 15 or so shark tournaments on Father's Day weekend with Dad on Westwater. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

star island is nice and breakfast in montauk is super! Phoenix and crew are in!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Dug

Post by Dug »

Hi guys!

there are multiple ferries all day long both traditional and high speed to block out of Montauk, Pt. Judith and New London. Land access should not be an issue. And there is air service out of Westerly airport that is like $45 round trip and its a 15 min flight. That option rocks!

Star Island is a great spot, but in the past we did stay at the Montauk Yacht club. Better facilities, plenty of dockage, and a great spot for dinner. Just an option.

No place in Block Island will eliminate rafting entirely. Reservations are a must. I love Paynes but they don't do reservations.

For me, NYC is out. And we have always had the tug of war between too far south, too far north. Some that come to Block won't come to Montauk and you can see it from the harbor. And vice versa.
We have done rendezvous in:
Montauk
Block Island
Greenport
Salt Pond/Pt. Judith
Mystic, CT
Newport
Each was fun, different and brought unique fun!

Best we can do is establish a spot and hope as many come as possible!

Dug
Dug

Post by Dug »

Truth is I don't know if I will be able to make it regardless of location, as I am going to be a Dad in early June. :)
Carl

Post by Carl »

Dug wrote:Truth is I don't know if I will be able to make it regardless of location, as I am going to be a Dad in early June. :)

Oh by the time the rendezvous comes around your little one will be old enough to help navigate.

Congratulations!!

May he or she be Happy and Healthy!

Carl
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Congratulations!!

May he or she be Happy and Healthy!
Seconded!!!... Your first?!... If so, you're in for a surprise... When that first one pops out and you hold it in your arms and you suddenly really and fully realize that your life has changed forever...
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Dug, Congratulations to you and your family. That little one will have you wrapped around his or her finger that's for sure. BH
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Congrats to ya Dug.......Jo Ann and I had 2 "Curtain Climbers" and I have to say they both are the "Apple of My Eye" as I am sure Dug or Dugette will be to you too.

hb
hb
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

Probably just as well to consider an alternative to Greenport. From all the reports any future use of Mitchell Park by visiting groups is now the subject of vigorous debate by the Village Board, some of whom want to limit it to residents' use only. Additionally, there is an election for Mayor this March. The present Mayor is not standing for reelection and it is anyone's guess who the new one will be and his/her position on uses of the park.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

I have a connection out there if you are considering greenport again,
cant promise but its a good shot
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Dug

Post by Dug »

Thanks guys. Its already shaping up to be a heck of a year. Boat is getting a do-over and this too. Busy busy!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

Congratulations. Life as you currently know it is about to end. A new chapter is opening up that will add some really great times.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

Tony, I say this will full humor intended.

Life as I know it has already ended!!!!

The past few years have been rich in change. It has been a constant adaptation process.

Control is an illusion, its more like managing chaos!

:)

Dug
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Where ever it is I will do my best to make it, likely by land but hopefully by boat.

As many of you know our older guy Carter will be 6 this year and his Birthday is Aug 2 so he's spent the majority of his birthday's at a rendezvous. He asked only the other day if we could go to Greenport for his birthday, so I will likely be there one way or another.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

time flies peter, wow 6 already
1968 hull # 316 - 757
John F.

Post by John F. »

Dug- Congratulations.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Wow Dug!........your times of peace and long sleeps are over. Welcome to the league. Congratulations!
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

According to the local paper, the Village Board has decided to allow boating groups such as ours that are docked at the marina to use the same area of the park as we have been using - tents to be limited to 60'x100' with no mention in the article of insurance requirements. The economic advantage to the Village of hosting boating groups was acknowledged in the article and Jeff Goubeaud was encouraged to book as many groups as possible.
Carl

Post by Carl »

White Bear wrote:According to the local paper, the Village Board has decided to allow boating groups such as ours that are docked at the marina to use the same area of the park as we have been using - tents to be limited to 60'x100' with no mention in the article of insurance requirements. The economic advantage to the Village of hosting boating groups was acknowledged in the article and Jeff Goubeaud was encouraged to book as many groups as possible.

Huh....who would have thought "economic advantage" or as I like to call it "Money"...could have such an impact on a decision like that.

Whats funny is somebody actually had to point that out to them in the first place.
White Bear

Post by White Bear »

Saw Jeff Goubeaud in the Post Office yesterday afternoon and he asked about Bertram plans. I told him other sites were under consideration for 2015. Jeff said he would get back with the Village Administrator regarding the insurance issue which he acknowledged remaining as a problem.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

white bear
tell jeff if you see him or have his # to mention my name
let me know if a phone call is in order
1968 hull # 316 - 757
neil

Post by neil »

Just spoke with Jeff at Mitchell's in Greenport,he would be happy to have us again. He is going to send me a form for the event permit as so we can set up a tent .
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

good work Neil that also helps put every thing else in line like ample lounging,eateries,bathroom /shower facilities,young adult,children activities.most of all not to far from lobster source for Brewster.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
neil

Post by neil »

I spoke with Jeff at Mitchell's marina this morning.the town had there meeting last night,we will be able to have our dinner in the park with a tent.we are looking at the first sat in August,please let me know how many are interested and we can get the ball rolling. We need ideas for a caterer
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

If i recall tom and his wife brought a couple of BBQ`S to the Saturday evening diner last year.first of all i want to extend my thanks from my family and the Bertram rendezvous gang for your dedicated time and effort to make the dinner successful .i would be glad to help with the BBQ this year with any wild boar you want ,sausage,ham steak,chops,or ribs i just need somebody to physically bring one or two grills for Saturday night.i cannot transport by ocean.Lets make a concentrated effort like rendezvous in past years.
Last edited by bob lico on Apr 18th, '15, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Count me in let me know how I can help. Twisting Harry Babbs arm while I am down here and hope he can join us.BH
neil

Post by neil »

Bob h please tell Harry no excuses Greenport in August beats the deep south
neil

Post by neil »

I got the application,for the permit for our dinner in the park .they require insurance and a deposite for use of the park.i am willing shell out the deposite but we need someone to help out with the insurance
Bullshit I think our best bet for dinner might be to do it our selfs.we need ideas and volunteers let's get going
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Who can recommend a local insurance guy in greenport? I will make the call and see how much $. BH
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

neil how much of liability coverage does the town require?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
neil

Post by neil »

One million
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

great, i have a plan.Phoenix has 3 million coverage for any "incident". captain patrick and i will have a meeting in the tent and i will give a tutorial on lightning protection to a empty tent! thats all thats needed to comply.i may have to put a extension cord in the tent as a "any premises condition". lets see who could acquire a tent first.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
neil

Post by neil »

Just got off the phone with Jeff at Mitchell's ,he would love to have us back again this year ,he has put away several slips for us on July 31 and August 1. He also gave me the phone number for a tent guy ,
neil

Post by neil »

The tent company gave me a price for a 20by 40 and tables and chairs for up to eighty people.bob loco please send me your mailing address I want to send you the application for the permit for use of the park,we now need ideas for dinner and volunteers to help get this party started
neil

Post by neil »

Bye the way the tent and chairs will cost 700.00
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Mazaltov Doug you'll make an awesome dad
Mitch