I think I might have found my next mistake.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Corey Mason

I think I might have found my next mistake.

Post by Corey Mason »

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/4785673512.html

Talked to the owner today. He said its in great condition. He even started restoring it himself. Has some bottom paint and mostly all new interior. Granted I'll probably rip most of it out to do it my way ha.

He said it was originally a flybridge model....but he took the flybridge part off, but still has it. What all is required to get it back original? Just tabbing/glassing it in?

I'm going to be coming from Florida to get it if I do...1300 miles one way. Plan was to ask my father in law to borrow his Toyota tacoma....its about a 2012 model. Tacoma should be enough to tow a dry, powerless hull right?

Pics are coming tomorrow, hopefully its as nice as he says.

Any advice?
Rocky

Re: I think I might have found my next mistake.

Post by Rocky »

Not a mistake if that's what is in your heart and inclination. The only thing I would suggest is buy it outright, no loans! (But that's just me)And plan ahead with your vision of her completed and cost involved before you even think about buying the hull first.
About that Tacoma, what's the total weight of 25hull and trailer? You don't want to strain the Tacoma for 1300 miles especially if you don't own it! Funny thing about Japanese manufactures, when they say 1/2 ton or give a rating, there ain't much leeway there above the rating. At least a 1GR motor(4.0 litre), to tow heavier loads. I'd make sure your GCW (gross combination weight) is not higher than the GCWR (gross combination weight rating). If you exceed the GCWR, you will have exceeded vehicles design limits and will stress it. Of course, we all know we've seen that happen before and they might take it, axles stuffed up into bottom of frame and all!
STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

I love an ad that says "must see", but they don't have a picture and only a 10 word description.

I thought a 25 would require wide load permits and considering your going thru almost every east coast state, It might be a long ride.
Scott Traenkle
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I think you'll do more than $1000 worth of damage to the truck trying to tow it 1300 miles. I recommend finding something closer to home.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Buying the hull for $1,000 wouldn't be much of a mistake... Towing it for 1,300 miles would be... Get a proper hauler to haul it for you!...
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

Just curious....why do you think it will do damage to the truck? The Tacoma is rated at 6500 lbs. I found the b25 data sheet and it says the net weight is 4500lbs with the smaller engine....but this one has no engine so it would be even lighter. So even if the trailer is 1000lbs....And if i don't account for the missing engine that would leave it at 5500lbs....giving me 1000lbs below the rating.

Shouldn't that be pretty good?

I've been looking for over a year, and haven't had much luck. To me this is the "dream boat." I know the trip will suck and gas will be a kicker....but isnt $1000 worth it? (If its actually as the man said?
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

Have any recommendations on a towing company? I'm not opposed to the idea...but I'm afraid it will cost a fortune.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Corey,

I'm in western Suffolk and a bunch of the guys are pretty close, look us up if you are coming.

When you do it plan on getting off the island in the middle of the night. There is nothing quite like driving in NYC with a boat in tow, not a single person will want you to change lanes and get in front of them, even the nuns will give you the finger; and if you think anyone will have any consideration that you need more than a few inches to stop before cutting you off think again.

With regards to getting it moved for you, get a quote and weigh the cost of gas, tolls, hotel stays and food.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

corey
where are located
or where is the boat going
I have a guy I use
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

I have family along the way in va...and even in nyc. So no hotels. But I am scared shirtless of towing through NYC ha. At first I though I could just go the long way around it...but I see its not possible.

It would be awesome if I could meet a few of you fellows. Perhaps even have one of you fine gents check out the boat for me; if your feeling even more generous....tow the boat to the outside of NYC for me ha.

The boat will be going to Pensacola florida
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

I know you don't want to hear this, but set out a detailed plan for the project before you begin looking for a boat. Start with your use case(s) and design the boat to satisfy these needs/desires. Then estimate the project price (we can help). Once you have a total estimated price, double it if you are doing the work yourself, or triple it if you hiring out. If you are still game, then start looking for a boat.

Not a fun process, but you will avoid:
1. Starting a project you can't finish.
2. Buying the wrong boat.
3. Scope creep.

My B25 project (5.5 years in, many tens of thousands of $$ spent, very dim light at the end of the tunnel) is a good example of what not to do if you are a working stiff (like me):
1. Boat found me - long story, but $2500 sounded too cheap to pass up. (I spent $2500 restoring the trailer before I even started working on the boat!!)
2. I had no idea what I wanted in the finished product and what would work for our lifestyle...resulting in lots of design changes along the way..all cost $$!
3. I told my wife it would take 2 years and $30k....I'll never live that one down!

I am having fun working on it, but DAMN! I wish it was done!
1963 Bertram 25
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

Well....there's no doubt the b25 is the boat. I've already made that decision. I have pretty much all Tue design in my head...just not exact dimensions as I'm not on the actual boat. The wife fully understands the time/financial restains.

I'm a shade tree mechanic by night. Just finished a motor swap and tranny in wife's 4runner and soon to start rebuilding the old motor. I have arsenal of tools at my use (for the most part). I also have about 12 weeks off a year for summer...no kids. I think now is a great time. And I love working on things like this. This would be the biggest project to date...but I've done many projects along the way.

The question...is if....THIS is the boat. I'm more concerned about the trip than the boat. Granted, everything is still in limbo as I await the email with all the pics that should be here later today.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

There is no way around it...Goethals bridge to Staten Island and onto the Brooklyn Queens Expressway OR the George Washington bridge to the Cross Bronx to the Throgs neck Bridge. Maybe you consider that going around, getting on the road at 4:30AM and taking the route with the least amount of construction is your only option.

I will guarantee stories that last a lifetime
John F.

Post by John F. »

Find a B25 in FL. Scott is right. A B25 is wider than permitted, so you'll need wide load permits from NY to FL. I think there are companies that can help with this, but that's an expense you have to consider. You also have to factor in fuel, tolls (NY, NJ, DE), and whatever else. Gas mileage goes way down when you're towing a boat on a highway. Weight and lack of any aerodynamics.

I've towed from LI to MD three times. Once was a boat trailer stacked with floating docks, once was my B20, and a few years later my Dad's Formula 233. All 8' beam or less ( B25 is 9'?). Once was LIE to Throgs Neck to Cross Bronx to GW Bridge to NJ Turnpike. The other two were LIE to BQE to Verrazano to SI Expressway to Goethals (narrow lanes) to NJ Turnpike. Its an interesting tow, and not my favorite. Getting from Nassau County to NJ is the hardest part by far. Its doable, but not fun. I bought my old B31 from a guy on LI and had it transported to MD. I contacted a few haulers, including the guy I had been using in MD, and they all refused the job, saying that a tow off LI and through NYC just wasn't worth it. I wound up using All Island Transport as I remember. Worked out fine.

Again, there is no way I'd buy a B25 hull in NY if I lived in FL.

Good luck with whatever you decide
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

I wish it was that easy to just buy in fl. As I said I've been looking for 8+ months....and have only seen 3. One wanted $5,000 for the hull and the other was more reasonably priced at about $2500....but was up in pa area.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I would not be afraid of the towing. I tow my 20 from BC to Ontario and back every summer, 2000 miles each way, I have a very solid tow vehicle, but once you tow for a while you get used to it. My wife has done the trip on her own as well, her main skill is figuring it out how to cross Canada without backing up!

As far as the over width is concerned, that all depends on your risk tolerance and how vigilant enforcement is in your area. In my experience (I run a trucking company with 30 trucks) over width tickets are pretty rare. In Canada you can buy an over width permit for up to 10'6" then all you have to do is display an overwidth vehicle sign. In Canada you buy the permits from an insurance provider or from the Motor Vehicle branch or from the scale itself.

Last edited by Rocket on Dec 4th, '14, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Rod,

You seem to have the url opened and closed correctly, but when I try it by itself I get from Facebook -- "This content is currently unavailable.The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.
"
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Something like this might be a better first project...and easier to tow.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sale- ... 0-obo.html
1963 Bertram 25
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Cam, I had one of those. Loved it! The wife, not so much!
The B25 has more covered room for her.
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

corey
sent you a pm
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Cam Aint that the truth working stiffs! The budgeting and planning ahead very important.
There are a few things I will do differently on my next Bertram, cash purchase and good iron already in there.
Money's in the iron, who had told us that one many times!
captbone

Post by captbone »

Post pictures of the boat. I have looked at most 25ft Bertrams in the area. Someone here may know some information about the boat.
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

Called the guy today to follow up, his wife didn't send the pics like he asked so he will send them tomorrow morn when he gets to his office.
captbone

Post by captbone »

What town is the boat located in?
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

Not exactly sure, it just says western Suffolk. Im a southern boy and have no clue about yankie geographic ; )

I got some pictures today (asked for a few more), but it looks like a really good base for a project. He said the interior is new....but the design is awful...so those will be pulled and sold.

He said he has the flybridge and all of the interior panels as well.

Gonna add pics now.
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

Well I cant figure out how to post pics (perhaps the instructions are out dated). Here are the links to the pics.

http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/Holicori/profile/
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

Let me know if you can at least view the pics with the link.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Looks like a decent canvas...where's the trailer?

The transom core and shape look odd to me. Different than my 63. Might be that he hasn't completely removed the core. Here's a shot of mine with the new wood core in place, then after glassing and bonding.

Ask him about the condition of the gel coat, particularly if there is any crazing. As for the flybridge, you could make a bridge from tube easier than trying to re-attach the old fiberglass unit.

Funny number estimates:
new trailer - $7000
re-core transom - $3000
new v8 I/O, installed and rigged - $25,000
tube flybridge - $5000
Fuel tank installed - $3000
Paint - $10,000
Bottom job - $4000
1963 Bertram 25
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

No trailer, I'll be bringing my own.

And yes, I do think those are funny numbers indeed. I won't be going with inboard...I know I just pissed you all off, but I'm going with an outboard.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Outboards work. Mine will have twins. The cost doesn't change...

Bottom line is you can buy any number of decent running B25s for at or below the cost of a re-power. $25k buys a lot of Bertram!

The numbers are only funny if you've never done it before.
1963 Bertram 25
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Rocket:

Is that a scum line on the Baron stern at the water line. C'mon now.... that beautiful boat! Have the child of yours go wipe that down:)

Mark
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Ouch! She got cleaned when I got home, 3 days later. She was sitting in the lake for 5 weeks and I don't use bottom paint, the cottage we rent doesn't have a lift. so it is hard to keep her clean. She is all sparkly now!
captbone

Post by captbone »

I have seen that boat. You cant hide a 25ft Bertram in my neck of the woods. It is 100 yard south of Montauk Hwy on South 8th street in Lindenhurst, NY and 1/4 mile from Raybo.

Here is the boat on google street view.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6726532 ... ZWu-Xg!2e0

Looks to be the ideal candidate for what you want to do to it. Good bones and the hull outside does not need any work. You can cut/build a transom and throw an outboard on it to make it go.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

CamB25 wrote: Bottom line is you can buy any number of decent running B25s for at or below the cost of a re-power. $25k buys a lot of Bertram!

The numbers are only funny if you've never done it before.
This is my way of thinking now, why not take advantage of the market in your favor when a great one comes up.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Hey Rocket -
Is that the James Bond Glastron that jumped the Levee, and Benji the dog?!!
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Rocky, it's one of them new fangled truck boats! Actually a 1968 Sidewinder. That was the only way I could figure out how to get two boats home so I could work on them over the winter.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Wow, that must of been an engineering feet in itself getting it up there without damage, nice!
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

Well....looks like I'm going to have to pass on this opportunity guys, unfortunately :(.

I had a trailer lined up that a friend was letting me borrow but he actually ended up selling his boat....and trailer. I tried a couple other options but couldn't get one to fall into place. So, I think I'm going to just bite the bullet on this one.

I appreciate all the input though guys...and by all means if you find another like it, send a message my way.
captbone

Post by captbone »

Before you give up check out uship.com and see if you can find a transporter coming home empty. You may find a ride for thousand bucks if you are flexible on time.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Corey,

I have a friend Skip who is selling/brokering a nice one in the mid teens. Its fighting lady yellow, and has twin outdrives. Nice boat.

Want me to investigate further?

Dug
Dug

Post by Dug »

Its in Newport, RI.
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

Appreciate it dug, but no thanks.

If I can't buy it outright, then I'm not getting it. Wife and I have been tight this year paying off debt and getting married in may....after coming off getting laid off last year.

Right now I didn't even really want to spend a grand, but don't want to pass up a good deal either.

I also really want a project that I can build myself. I'm excited for the build as much (maybe more) than the use of the boat ;)
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

Oh and thanks for that website captbone....found a guy that replied to me that would do it for $1200. He doesn't have a trailer big enough, and is asking around. Doesn't sound promising, but if he finds one said he would.

Hell...$800-900 gas expense...and enduring a 40+hr haul....or $1200 to sit around and have it parked in my driveway ha.
captbone

Post by captbone »

Realistically a decent bare hull will cost you $2500 regardless. I still think that hull is a good deal. It is painful to spend more on shipping then on the hull but worth it in the end. It will save your money in the long run and I speak from experience on this very topic.

To have the hull you want in your driveway for $2500-$3000 is still a deal for a 25 ft Bertram flybridge. 10 years ago you couldn't touch any bare bertram hull for any where near that.

I doubt you will find a nicer hull cheaper or closer.

Just my 2 cents.
Corey Mason

Post by Corey Mason »

Oh I agree! Problem is I'm just not prepared to spend much more. I was only looking in case I saw an unbelievable deal....which I did find...$1000 for hull and $800 to pick it up. But plan fell through and to have it shipped is going to cost another $3000 possibly...so now its better to wait.
captbone

Post by captbone »

I understand. My advice would be to keep in touch with the seller and keep shopping for a transporter. I doubt the boat is going to sell too fast. Time maybe on your side.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Your opportunity may be in the spring when a FL based transport heads north and doesn't want to drive back empty handed. Put your feelers out there.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Rocket: That Opti tucks in there pretty well. If I had a dollar for every mile I've towed those little boats around the country, I'd be springing for some diesels! Leigh
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Good eye Leigh! The Opti does a nice job of holding the boat cover down. With three boats I'm afraid that they'll think I'm a commercial hauler and I'll have to keep a logbook! My son is 11 and is loving the Opti racing. We hope to make it to San Francisco in the spring, but I think the coaches can take the boat for that one, I'll fly!