Cabrera Yacht Parts

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Fishin Tom
Location: Stuart, Florida and Holtz Boatworks, Southern New Jersey

Cabrera Yacht Parts

Post by Fishin Tom »

Guess I've been on the side lines for too long.

I need to purchase some molded fiberglass parts for the thirty one Flybridge.

Looking for bulkhead and door, motor boxes and outerflange for motor boxes

I can't get in touch with Cabrera. Are they still making parts for the 31

Does anyone have a current and good contact #.

Thanks for any help

Tom Oakes
Holtz Boatworks, NJ
my other east

Re: Cabrera Yacht Parts

Post by my other east »

Tom,
i have a price list from last year, just email me and i'll forward it to you.
eric@npbcid.org
Eric Vincent
1974 31 FBC hull # 315-1442
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Fishin Tom wrote:Guess I've been on the side lines for too long.

I need to purchase some molded fiberglass parts for the thirty one Flybridge.

Looking for bulkhead and door, motor boxes and outerflange for motor boxes

I can't get in touch with Cabrera. Are they still making parts for the 31

Does anyone have a current and good contact #.

Thanks for any help

Tom Oakes
Holtz Boatworks, NJ
Tom, contact me about this jgatto@me.com
williamcash

Post by williamcash »

Cabrera's parts are very nice. We were going to get some of his parts but we had something serious come up.
Last edited by williamcash on Nov 7th, '14, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing beats the B31, especially in the Bahamas!
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Tommy,
Ray Cabrrea himself never answers the telephone, but his wife will get back to you if you leave a message, as far as I know he's still making 31 parts, his shop is just off of Rt 95 in the NW section off 7th in a nasty section of Miami.
How's your leg doing, I am recovering from more knee surgery out of action for 3 months minimum according to the doctor.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
williamcash

Post by williamcash »

He is definitely still making parts.

WC
Nothing beats the B31, especially in the Bahamas!
Fishin Tom

Post by Fishin Tom »

After checking with my fellow members of the Bertram site and calling the various manufacturers of Bertram parts Holtz Boatworks will NOT be purchasing parts from Cabrera. I cannot feel comfortable sending $$ to a location where I can not see, touch and don't feel good about spending that kind of money. There R no guarantees in life as we all know.

We will continue to fabricate our our own parts and make the modifications to 31's using our skilled and experienced staff.

I just can't send money to a company without a REEL location or business site. The Web site address is just not satisfactory. Additionally I spoke with a boat owner who recently got parts from them that were less than satisfactory and I don't want a 1300 mile phone or internet argument. I'm down the road too far for that circumstance.

Thanks for the input

PS Pete- My broken foot and ankle is pretty damn good for an old guy. Running marathons are out, but everything else seems good.

Tom Oakes
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

williamcash wrote:Cabrera's parts are immaculate. We were going to get some of his parts but we had something serious come up.
immaculate….not really
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

I bought the motor boxes, L wing brackets and lower inside panels from a fabricator in California ,can't remember the name, I'm sure others will provide that info, my only issue with this expensive purchase was that the L shaped wings fit poorly around the motor boxes and I literally had to slice them in the corners to open them up to get a gap around the motor box that was equal,then do the glass work to put them back together, regel .,my boat is still in inside storage up in Stuart, if u want to see these parts, I could meet u there,River Forest Marine, great place, will not let u in with out someone from there group walking along, I'm in the palm beach area
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Marlin wrote:I bought the motor boxes, L wing brackets and lower inside panels from a fabricator in California ,can't remember the name, I'm sure others will provide that info, my only issue with this expensive purchase was that the L shaped wings fit poorly around the motor boxes and I literally had to slice them in the corners to open them up to get a gap around the motor box that was equal,then do the glass work to put them back together, regel .,my boat is still in inside storage up in Stuart, if u want to see these parts, I could meet u there,River Forest Marine, great place, will not let u in with out someone from there group walking along, I'm in the palm beach area

Marlin

Not sure that guy is still around. His site name was close to our sand box. I thought it was 31 bertram.com
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
ljmauricio

Post by ljmauricio »

This summer, there was a 31 being restored at the Ways boatyard in Palm Beach Gardens using Cabrera decks, engine boxes, cockpit panels, etc. My guess is it's still there and the person doing the work was willing to discuss the project.
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Craig Spencer used a lot of his stuff,maybe he will shed some lite on this source
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

I got a cockpit from Alex back in 07,, drop in fishboxes, nice parts, not cheap but as advertised. Would use him again.
Bill
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

CaptPatrick wrote:Alex Whitaker, http://www.31bertram.com

Thank You. That's it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
spencer

Post by spencer »

I bought all of his parts from the v berth area , to having him customize the interior replaced all the bulkheads
Motor boxes , decks , deck supports , and had a customized fish box live well on the transom, and fuel tank, and rudder supports
I'm local and was able to discuss items in person with a translator / most of my employees are bilingual
Me not so much

He prices are not cheap , quality is excellent but the 31 Bertram's are all different and will require tweaking, I'd say there are no plug and play part
I think he wanted 50% to start per piece , he makes the parts usually on demand
And he is slowwww

I was ae to get a better deal due to amount of parts I ordered
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Tom Oakes:

I did my 31 with Mr.Cabrera and his parts are the BEST. Quality and styling no one have. Yes he does not speak english, yes he is slowwwww BUT he has been doing this for a long time and he is an HONEST man.
1965/2007 Bertram 31
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

ZeroCavity wrote:Tom Oakes:

I did my 31 with Mr.Cabrera and his parts are the BEST. Quality and styling no one have. Yes he does not speak english, yes he is slowwwww BUT he has been doing this for a long time and he is an HONEST man.
OK I was waiting on some fish box panels to come before I called them out but since I have been waiting for then since June 2nd (original paid order) I figure I probably won't get them anyway. I had a lot of problems with the quality, I knew I would have to tweak things but I have several gel coat voids on every panel and they would not stand behind there manufacturing, what pissed me off was the way they blamed it on me I spent $21,000.00 with them on parts and they are full of gel coat voids! There response .... "As per returning parts not handled properly I have to see what Regino has to say about this. This has never happen before and it's not gelcoat bubbles is reaped as a result of being forced in, the improper way it was handled/installed. We can see from the picture how much debris it has and heavy metal tools on it with no protection at all. The care put in is definitely poor a very visible on the photos. These are high quality parts built with the best materials, we are not responsible for improper installation and mishandling of the parts.”
I sent them this video, there are at least a dozen and almost every part has a defect https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qu1orD ... e=youtu.be

Fishin Tom

Post by Fishin Tom »

Looks like I made the right choice. I do not need any agg at all. Thanks Jim for your info to reinforce how important it is for a company to stand behind their work and don't stand on the point of the mountain throwing darts at every one else. We have all made mistakes, but the best thing we can do is " the customer is always right"... Most always
:)

We will continue to offer Top Service, Top quality and fair pricing. I will not do anything I would not do to my own Boat in this case 31 Bertram.

My team is great and want to be known as the company that fits the bill.

Hope you all are well and we welcome your input to give advise and help you with your Bertrams.

Tom Oakes
Holtz BoatWorks, manager/consultant and former owner for 26 years
call me any time 772.485.4595 unless I am fishing.

Tight lines and good lookin 31's. We Share our secrets.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

I'm with 0 cavity...I got the v berth kit engine boxes, cock pit panels with fish boxes and a swim platform...pretty frickin slick...but, that's coming from a dumb blind guy. Got a 20 percent discountfrom ordering everything together...thanks to Gerry for getting me hooked up .
Killing lots of fish.
John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

But, after reading Jimmy's post, I'd shurely reconsider...that didn't sound good.
John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I spent a bunch of time driving back and forth to his shop and working in it while Zero Cavity was being done. While certainly not the greatest of locations, I could have said that about my marinas being in Riviera Beach.

I don't speak fluent Spanish but enough to get the gist of what people are talking about.
I never had an issue with his work or him at all and at times found him quite funny. His detail to craftsmanship was impeccable at the time.

Now that has been some time ago, and things change and I haven't keep in touch with him.

I know Jimmy is not saying anything that isn't true either and being the craftsman he is I'm sure if any parts were damaged with installing them, he would have just fixed them.

My guess is unless someone has been by recently to talk directly to him, is that he's got others doing the work in his shop and that he isn't aware of the issue.

If someone does talk directly to him and gets the same response, then something has changed with him because that's not the way it was certainly.

Either way like Tom said it gives little comfort to ordering parts and not knowing that your money is going to produce something in return.

I may be heading down to Homestead this weekend and if I leave on Friday I may stop by and see what is what.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Slow deliveries on parts from your outside vender become a tough sell when your working on a customers project.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

JimmyG wrote:This has never happen before and it's not gelcoat bubbles is reaped as a result of being forced in, the improper way it was handled/installed. We can see from the picture how much debris it has and heavy metal tools on it with no protection at all. The care put in is definitely poor a very visible on the photos. These are high quality parts built with the best materials, we are not responsible for improper installation and mishandling of the parts.”
Kind of like telling a customer that the insects in his Corvettes paint job are there because he drove it too fast.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Alex W is currently building fuel tanks and rub rails, and of course ABT trailers. He also has some deck/box pieces in stock.
Says just call, would be happy to talk with anyone in need of parts for our 31.
1-714-329-3030 his #.