Filling limber holes...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Filling limber holes...

Post by Dug »

What has the consensus been on filling the limber holes in the firewall between the cabin and cockpit? I have thought about this due to the fact that bilge water comes up into the cabin from there, and so there is ever present moisture...

With changes I am making elsewhere there will be very limited moisture entry into the forward section of the boat.

Is this a bad idea?

Perhaps I raise them, or install a removable plug for "emergency" situations?

Thoughts?

Thank you!!!!

Dug
TailhookTom

Re: Filling limber holes...

Post by TailhookTom »

When I had Tailhook we "fabricated" plugs for the limber holes to put water where we had bilge pumps to get rid of it. And still kept functioning bilge pumps in areas where we were sure we were going to keep water out -- just in case.

Tom
Dug

Post by Dug »

Thats essentially what I am thinking Tom. Cool.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Dug

Post by Dug »

Yes!!!! I like it!!!!!! Thanks guys!!!!
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Dug: I put a 1 1/2 inch or larger,your choice
PVC male adapter with a screw cap( low as possible.).. Drill an 1 1/2" hole ,install with 5200 in the bulkhead.... put the cap on either side.
I keep it screwed in at the dock & open it while running ... simple fix
W
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

A test plug would be even easier...

Drill a hole just larger than the OD of 2" or 4" PVC. Bed a small piece in. Use a test plug when you want it closed.

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

As I said I had 3 separate bildge areas, each compartmentalized by a becton (or however you spell it) deck plate and each with a bilge pump in them. The V berth area was the smallest, the cabin/galley I kept open so that one pump aft would clear that compartment, and then the engine area bilge which not only had a bilge pump, but also crash valves on the engine -- theory being if I hit something and opened a hole I could contain it aft to the crash valves (unless it was way beyond saving the hull and getting into the raft). Thank God I never had to test any of the above out!

In addition, I opened up the weep holes on the inside of the engine stringers and reglassed to keep water from intruding. I then put a test plug (the ones Mike has pictured) into each one of the holes -- that way should I have an oil or coolant leak I could contain in in the engine area and not be pumping it over the side. I also kept diapers under the engines for the same reason - when my transmission cooler blew -- that was a huge help in cleaning up.

Tom
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

I am with you tom but never even seen that word spelled but that" compartmetalized" is the way to go but i isolated at main bulk head.cabin bilge spotless and dry however i have bilge pump set at lowest point where front drain plug use to be.never been on in 14 years but i test every so often .no plug just seal the bottom limber hole there are limber holes further up in bilge for doomsday allowing about 18" of water in v birth before flowing to second compartment with crash valves and dual bilge pump ( one low as possible and one 6" higher or seperate battery banks) . Just want time to get crew into life raft Lets forget about doomsday , catastrophic accident on everyday basis cabin has no odors from fish or bait remnants flowing into cabin bilge.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

When I rebuilt Dreamsicle I made new bulkheads and did not put in limber holes between engines and cabin since I didn't want diesel stink in the cabin. Added a bilge pump in the cabin that empties into the engine compartment for the occasional water. Pump hasn't come on in five years. Have to exercise the pump several times a year to be sure it works. By the by, no stink, no moisture under the cabin sole.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

ok tom i got, it like Titanic " if we have 5 compartments flooded we can stay afloat however there are six!!!!!!!!!!"
capt.bob lico
bero13010473