Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Marshall Mahoney

Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

I am looking into a fishing vacation for my 50th birthday in Dec. Thinking hard about a trip to Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo. Looks like sailfish season according to their fishing calendar. Does anyone have a recommendation on charters/lodging?
IRGuy

Re: Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo

Post by IRGuy »

Sorry I can't help you with recommendations.. I make it a point not to go anywhere that I can't pronounce!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Guess that eliminates Montauk !
Bill
Marshall Mahoney

What are you talking about? It is pronounced just like its spelled...
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

If Red (Morgan Freeman) and Andy (Tim Robbins) can pronounce it, why can't you? Rent Shawshank Redemption, that's where Andy runs and Red follows.
Andy says the fishing's great.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Tom

Post by Tom »

I've fished out of Zihuatanejo a few times. Always rent the same house in the hills above the town. Unparalleled views, food, accommodations. The finest villa I've ever been in. Prices are negotiable. Good fishing, better house.

Http://www.casadelarbol.com

There is inexpensive lodging on the beach in El Centro.

For fishing I've always used this outfit. http://www.sportfishing.Ixtapa.com

We have always caught billfish. Sometimes numbers, sometimes not. Both dry and wet seasons. The absolute best rooster fishing I've had anywhere was with Capt Adolpho on Dos Hermanos II, a super panga. Not as big a rooster on avg as TropicStar but lots of numbers on light tackle.

Fishing is the typical Mexican hustle. Can pay a little more and book in advance or save some money and walk the dock. Boats range from open Pangas to nicer Sportfishers.

I've caught bunches of sails, blues, and stripeys along with other meat fish. You can get a cold current in the winter which shuts things down or moves it further off. However, this El Niño year should mean warm water.

Might check out Brian B's operation further down the coast in Huatulco. Prosportfishing.com. The owner Brian Barragy is a sponsor here I think and has 31's.

My wife and I along with our friends enjoy Zihuatanejo bunches and especially casa el arbor. The cartels are back in control so everything is quiet and safe again. The wife even goes chasing surf breaks by herself these days while I fish.
Viva la Presidente!
Marshall Mahoney

Tom -- thanks for the info. The wife wants to stay on the beach so the villas are out. Good thing too -- $$$. They look fantastic. I booked a larger boat for the first day for sail fishing (for the wife and daughter's comfort). Then they are going to bail for the beach. Will look at Dos Hermanos II for my son and I for some rooster fishing the next day. Will likely stay at Hotel Aura...

Buenos Tacos <*)))<
Marshall Mahoney

Tom -- would you recommend renting a car or are taxi's the way to go?
Tom

Post by Tom »

Marshall, stay away from rental cars. The hotel will have taxis or drivers to recommend. The cartels have a vested interest in happy tourists so they are looking to make sure the gringos are happy. Thus, the hotels know the right taxis to get for you. Hotel Aura is a nice one. Matter of fact it's just downhill from our place. If you have any troubles in town, tell the concierge or manager at Aura. It will be handled to your liking and not the trouble makers. Besides, most everything is an easy stroll from the hotel.

At The dock there is a sandwich maker. They will make tortas and bolos to order for your fishing trip. Stay away from the cocos locos. My innards turned inside out for two weeks following tequila and Coco Locos from a street vendor just outside Aura. It could have been worse. My Mexican buddy hopped a bus to northern Mexico with the same case of the touristas. The bus had no toilet and he pooped his britches several times over that 700 mile bus ride.

I'm jealous, won't be back until 2015.

Oh, and if you get a mate with an extra thumb on one hand, ask him about the time a blue nearly impaled his bill in said mates heart in 2008 or so. If not for the swim platform, ol 11 fingers was dead. Missed his heart by one inch. 11 fingers went from brown to white and puked his guts out of fear.
Viva la Presidente!
Marshall Mahoney

Tom -- I switched plans when my airline tickets to Zihua increased by $900 overnight. Went to Cabo instead. Chartered a 31 Bertram. Good move. We caught 7 marlin and one big sailfish in one day! I caught 3, my son caught 2, the wife caught 1, and my daughter caught a marlin and the sail. To top it off, we stopped at a cantina on the way home and the chips they served with the guacamole were fried pork rinds. Not a bad way to celebrate tuning 50.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Marshal can you share who you chartered in Cabos? Lots of 31's to choose from and I have been on a bunch of them.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Marshall Mahoney

Chartered "The Blue Marlin" with captain Luis and deck hand Salvadore. $450/day. Took a day off at the beach and chartered "Mextime" the next day -- one tail-hooked marlin. Stayed in an awesome condo, Las Mananitas, in San Jose del Cabo. Check out the pics -- fast forward to the fishing...
https://mahoneysalbums.shutterfly.com/
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Looks like a good time was had! Thanks for sharing.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
coolair

Post by coolair »

looks like a great trip. maybe one day I will make it back to cabo!! I love the stowaway the boarded the boat!
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Carl

Post by Carl »

Looks like all enjoyed!

I could use a few days of that weather myself...wouldn't hurt to have a couples days of good fishing too!

Thanks for sharing!

Carl