Possible New 31 Owner

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bsmart

Possible New 31 Owner

Post by bsmart »

I have been a voyeur on this site for the better part of the past 10 years and thought i should finally jump in and thought I should introduce myself since i will probably will be asking (many) questions....This Friday i drive up to NJ to inspect the post survey "deficiencies" fixes and potentially close on an '86 31.

I already have a 1986 Bertram33 Sportfish, LULU, which i have had for the past 10 years -- I run her up and down from Annap to FL most winters and thought it was time to just have a boat in both places. Lulu started with the original gassers and upgraded to 6bta 370s in 2010...I am going to keep the 33 in Delray Beach FL and enjoy hopefully the same project with this 31 in Annapolis over the next few years.

I probably should have inquired earlier, but wanted to keep the purchase process relatively smooth, so If any NJ 31 owners have any experience with "Limited Edition" in Sea Isle (at Holtz in the winters) please let me know--any input is welcome.

Ill get my profile, signature and avatar etc all cleaned up over the next few days.

Thanks,
Robert
Navatech

Re: Possible New 31 Owner

Post by Navatech »

First, welcome to the sandbox...

Second, a VERY well regarded member of this brotherhood (Walter) recently lost his ongoing battle with Cancer... His (diesel powered) Berty (31) has been put on the market and is now available for a ludicrously low price... The running gear (engines, gears, shafts, props etc) alone are probably worth the asking price... Here's a thread about her: http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10881

If I were you I'd at least consider her... A turnkey boat is a much better idea then a major project boat...
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Let me know where u r in del ray, I live in Manalapan ,would like to meet u
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Robert

Welcome.

Unfortunatly, while I am in NJ I don't know the boat. Was 86 the annivesary edition? Seems like a late model year for a 31. I t was probably the last production run if it is an 86.

Good luck with her.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Welcome aboard, Robert!

Tony, yes, in 1986 Bertram offered a limited run of 31s that they called the Silver Anniversary Edition (25 years after they were introduced in 1961).
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Robert,
Welcome aboard, the last of the Silver Anniversary issue Bertram 31's were made in 1986, they only built 22 that I know of. After that the molds were destroyed by running them over in the parking lot of the factory. Check the HIN number on the transom it will tell you the month and year of production( last 3 digits).
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Pete Fallon wrote:Check the HIN number on the transom it will tell you the month and year of production( last 3 digits).
How does one digit show which month?!... Or, does it only show the quarter?!...

<just trying to learn something>
bsmart

Post by bsmart »

Closed yesterday...HIN BERGAG16A686--- From what i understand from all that i know about my 33 Sportfish this should be Hull 1716 Built in Jan of 86 Model Year 86... The Doc Number Matches appropriately with the build date in relation to the Doc Number on the 33 which was built in June...

I ended up with great paperwork including the original Bert Instr manual, the Original Bertram Waranty, The QC Cert dated 4/15/86 (i cant read the Sig but I have a family friend that worked for Bert in the 80s and he will figure it out for me) Blue print sized electrical wiring diagrams dated 5/14/85, the Original Cut Sheet the Silver Anniversary Specs and Option Costs....and all the Manuals for all the add-ons...

Evidently some guy who was waiting for a 60 Viking to be completed Purchased mine in June of 86 from the dealer in NJ Brand new --played with her for 7 Months then sold it to the owner who i just purchased from -- its effectively a 1 owner boat.

My son and i are going to run her home tmrw.

Its been 4 years since i had Mercruisers in my 33 and generally i just focused on keeping all the needles pointing up----so any numbers would be helpful...for example
What Temps and Pressures should i be looking for

Also heading to Pep Boys to grab Spare Oil and Trans Fluid--- Any thoughts for stock Merc 340 MIE with the BorgWarner?

Ill get some photos up early this week.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Robert,

Interesting data... Especially from the stand point of the quest for just how many B31s were built. We all knew that the count was somewhere between 1750 and 1780 hulls. With yours being #1716, produced in January of '86, and 22 anniversary editions, that narrows the count number to between 1738 on the high end and 1734 on the low end.

Good luck with her...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
bsmart

Post by bsmart »

Patrick,

Thanks.

Also ---Im attempting to get my profile/signature all cleaned up and having difficulty finding a "How To" to be able to add the face Image on the right..I think its called the avatar... Any advice would be great.

Robert
Last edited by bsmart on Sep 6th, '14, 16:12, edited 2 times in total.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Robert,

Email me an unedited image that you want as an avatar and I'll take care of it...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
bsmart

Post by bsmart »

Pic on the way-- thanks

As far as total number built --I don't think we can use my Jan Build Date as a potential start of total count...here is why --according to my family friend...they started marketing selling and building the 1986 Silver edition in the Fall of 85 (the Print Date on the back of the Options sheet is 9/85) just after the fall Boat Shows... If you look at QUIERIDA on your listing page --- I believe her HIN is BERGAG09K586 (according to a Documentation Number Search)--- that would make her Hull Number 1709 with a Build Date of November 1985 (but Model Year 1986)... If we can get another couple HINs from 86 we might be able to get a true total.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

I know of one black hulled met cruiser powered anniversary edition boat in Sea Isle that I worked on as a kid when new. Your boat doesn't have a black hull does it
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Pretty sure that Andre has one….
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
bsmart

Post by bsmart »