New Boat

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

captbone

New Boat

Post by captbone »

New boat. She will plane with a single outboard so down the road I have some plans for her.

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: New Boat

Post by mike ohlstein »

I must be missing it. Is it hiding behind the thing with the outboards?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Buju

Post by Buju »

An Ocean Blaster huh?
Ok, but have you told your kidneys yet?
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Good luck with her.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
captbone

Post by captbone »

Thanks. The ride certainly is not as nice but construction/solid glass certainly gives confidence.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

CaptBone,
Watch the transom for rot, some of the models had plywood encapsulated in Glass, others had ceramic coring near the end of the production in the 90's. Also decks were cored with plywood and center console had lifting of the cockpit sole on some models. Huffnagle made a good boat in the 80's and early 90's We called them Ocean Smashers not a bad vessel congratulations.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
John F.

Post by John F. »

Nice boat. Congratulations. Never rode on one, but looked at one a few years ago. Seemed to be really, really well built.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Carl

Post by Carl »

The 31 may have the cockpit room...but that has room all over to fish.

if I didn't have to bring my gear down to boat and back...and if it didn't have outboards...my boat would look alot like that.

One of my customers mounted a fighting chair up in the bow. Think I recall his being a little more closed in up front...anyway they liked it as an alternative to taking out the big boat.

Best of luck with it.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

The hard top is a nice connivence possibly combined with a dodger to keep that inevitable ocean spray in check.nice boat
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

You gonna be able to run Snake Hill with that puppy? I know a lot of guys with the big CCs are doing it to cut the trip to the inlet.
captbone

Post by captbone »

Thanks for the positive vibes. Had her through snake hill and steamboat already. She feels much bigger vs the 25 bertram. For my inshore fishing and tubing she is an overkill.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Being that JR is so close to me and knowing what we do in these waters I think that's one heck of a boat. From where we are the bay is 20 miles in either direction, the beaches and fun destinations to howdy around in. The large majority of our fishing can be within the bay or just out along the beach.

Ocean fishing is mostly stripers, fluke, sea bass and blackfish. All stuff your gonna do on a relatively nice day. Canyon fishing is 90 miles out so if your not an offshore guy which JR is not this boat is overkill. Outboards are also nice as anchoring in shallow water to get to beaches and such is a big activity here.

The only thing I'm a bit surprised at is the age of the engines. You've always preached about the money being in the iron. So I would have expected a hull in worse shape with newer power. In any case she's a beauty, maybe you'll invite me over to sit in my ole fighting chair if she's mounted on the dock with a view of the new queen.
captbone

Post by captbone »

Absolutely Peter. Thanks for the positive thoughts. Next summer when the kids are out of diapers, we will certainly have to go fishing and get the families together being so close. Our children will be going to school together in another few years.

I never expected to end up with this boat. It was donated to a local university and they were selling it. It was stored indoor for several years and I had been hounding them for almost a year. The engines are old but run great and it was fire sale so it was close to an even trade for my 25 bertram.

I hope to see your boat back at Argyle shortly.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

We've been running to sailors a lot. At 2&5 drifting around the inlet doesn't last very long. Mechanic is pulling apart the old motor and waiting on the block. Should have it the end of he week or so. Works out perfect we stay off the water on holiday weekends and the fair next weekend at the basin next weekend keeps us away too.
captbone

Post by captbone »

Good news. Sept is still a great month.

I made myself a promise that next summer is going to be different in terms of work/social life balance. This winter I will get her in shape and next summer I want to use the boats twice as much.