32 volt charger

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Navatech

32 volt charger

Post by Navatech »

I was wondering, does anybody know of what for want of a better description would be best described as a marine junkyard that would specialize in the bigger (40' plus) Berties and Hats?!...

I need to find preferably 2 used dual bank 32 volt chargers (30 amp) but one will do, though in that case it would be preferably 40 amp... I can get a new 30 amp unit for around $1,100.00 but I'd rather not spend that kind of money... A 50 amp unit will be close to $1,500.00... And I'd still have only one...

Originally the boat had 2 dual bank 32 volt chargers (30 amp) by Raritan... But, the scumbags in PR stole them...

All the older bigger boats had 32 volt systems but now it's all 12 or 24 volt... AFAIK there's only two vendors left that do marine 32 volt chargers and that's Charles and Newmar (and the prices reflect that sad - for me - state of affairs)...

Anybody know what the difference is between marine and regular (e.g. golf cart) chargers?!... I'm diesel powered so (I think) being explosion proof is not a concern to me...
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: 32 volt charger

Post by Bruce »

There's Sentry chargers by Dometic in 32 but they are just as expensive new.

Other than internal design there is no difference between that old Raritan and a golf cart charger in explosion suppression. The original design of the Raritan used a wire wound resister to adjust the voltage. About as explosion proof as a truck full of ammonium nitrate, diesel fuel and 300lbs of mine explosives with a lit fuse.

Those golf cart chargers would be 36v. You'll need to mod the regulator to cut out the voltage at a lower point.

Do pay attention to the batteries off gassing while charging when locating the charger. Blew a few batteries in my day forgetting that little tidbit.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Bruce wrote:Those golf cart chargers would be 36v. You'll need to mod the regulator to cut out the voltage at a lower point.
I actually found somebody who makes "portable" and other chargers for industrial and other applications (e.g. golf carts, RV's). http://quickcharge.com/

They have several 32 volt units... These are single bank but I'd prefer to have 2 single bank chargers to 1 dual bank chargers... Pricing for the 32 volt units seems to be around $400.00 and there's a 3 year warranty... This is one model marketed by a distributor: http://chargingchargers.com/quick-charge/qp32-25.html
Bruce wrote:Do pay attention to the batteries off gassing while charging when locating the charger. Blew a few batteries in my day forgetting that little tidbit.
Any charger(s) that I would be getting would be installed in the old location (FWD bulkhead of the ER)... The batteries' location is under the cockpit floor (FWD of the generator)... The whole ER, a bulkhead, the rear fuel tank and another bulkhead are between the charger and the batteries so I "think" I'm safe on that account...
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Check this out..........is this an option to consider???

http://www.batterymart.com/pdfs/ps3.pdf

hb
hb
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Harry Babb wrote:Check this out..........is this an option to consider???
A nominally 32 volt charger will actually charge at about 34-36 volts... But, likewise, a nominally 36 volt charger will actually charge at a higher voltage... The result will be that my (very expensive) DEKA marine batteries will be continually overcharged and ruined in short order... A 32 volt system like mine requires a 32 volt charger... The problem is that these systems are made up from 4 8 volt batteries which are a rarity... Today these are mainly used for golf carts and similar applications...

Unfortunately 32 volt is very much a niche market and options will be limited... For example, AFAIK only DEKA makes the 8 volt marine batteries... Similar issues exist with getting anything that involves a motor such as pumps and windlass' in 32 volt... In fact, I found out that my windlass is actually 110 volt rather then 32 volt... I guess nobody really considers running these boats without a genny an option...
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Navatech,
There is a consignment shop in Port Salerno, FL that had a bunch of vintage chargers when I was there over last winter. It is on A1A just south of the airport within the restaurant/marina row. I do not know the name but Pete Fallon is located close by and may have a name for you.
Harry
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Soooo.....how many devices on your boat actually run on 32 volts??

hb
hb
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Harry Woods wrote:There is a consignment shop in Port Salerno, FL that had a bunch of vintage chargers when I was there over last winter. It is on A1A just south of the airport within the restaurant/marina row. I do not know the name but Pete Fallon is located close by and may have a name for you.
Would that be Marine Connection Liquidators?!... http://www.themarineconnection.net
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Harry Babb wrote:Soooo.....how many devices on your boat actually run on 32 volts??
Engine starters, engine shut down solenoids, all the DC lightening, heads, shower sump pump, bilge pumps, bilge alarms, various blowers, pressurized water system, radar, plotter, navigation lights and that's just off the top of my head...
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Wow! ! ! That shot one of my ideas in the rearend.....

Hope you find a charger at the liquidators.

hb
hb
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Harry Babb wrote:Wow! ! ! That shot one of my ideas in the rearend.....
Honestly, I wasn't aiming for your posterior...
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Navatech,
No it was not Marine Connection. They have newer stuff and do not have vintage parts. I will look on my GPS to see if I entered it last time I went there.
Harry
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Harry Woods wrote:No it was not Marine Connection. They have newer stuff and do not have vintage parts. I will look on my GPS to see if I entered it last time I went there.
Even though I guess I got lucky, today (found a really nice looking used 30 Amp 3 bank Sentry (Dometic) over at Sailorman in Ft. Lauderdale) I'd still like to have that info if you can find it on your GPS... As I'm still looking for a 2nd unit (redundancy)...

The used one was $300.00 + tax... I'll have to pay Wards another 50 to have it properly tested but that's just insurance...