B28 restoration, Keep the lower station? Also a Cummins ?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Face

B28 restoration, Keep the lower station? Also a Cummins ?

Post by Face »

I have been told that it is very difficult to see out of the lower station, especially when in rough seas. Has anyone found this to be true? I am considering removing the lower station altogether and extending my "usable" space in the cabin. This should also simplify my restoration via less cables, expense, etc. This will of course mean I will have to have a good enclosure on the flybridge.

Secondly, the boat I am restoring came with 2 Cummins 4BTs. I assume they have gauge sending units made for 2 sets of gauges each. Would I need to replace these senders if I went to a single station?

Lastly, could anyone give me a recommendation on a manufacturer for gauges, senders, ignition, and warning lights? I read in one post that ISSPRO was recommended, would most manufacturers of VDO gauges carry the other things mentioned here?

This is my first full restoration and I really appreciate any advice offered. Thank you.
-Joe
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have a 31 Sportsfisherman that has two stations. I have yet to run the boat from the lower station BUT I find the lower station a godsend when working on the engines, winterizing or just plain warming up the engines,etc. especially if I'm working on the boat alone. Climbing up to a zipped up bridge enclosure to read gauges or restart/shut off engines is a pain in the butt when alone. My opinion-Walter
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

I had a 25 w/ a lower station... Went to a lot of trouble getting the lower station steering working(added hydlics)then I never found it useful other than what Walter stated.. Never even ran it in the harbor below. Waste of space in my book.
As for the senders.. I bought a set of used engines ,they had 2 station senders ,& gauges didnt come with the purchase.I had single station boat.. Wouldnt work,at least in my case,I had to replace all senders.
Wayne
Leigh

B28 lower station

Post by Leigh »

I don't have an flybridge enclosure, so I have used my lower station in bad weather a few times. It's OK for low speed. At cruise you are straining to see over the bow unless you put the tabs down all the way and then the boat is plowing. With a good enclosure, you will probably never use it. Leigh
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Joe,

When I was in Alaska, I had a FBC with a lower station which I used the most because the bridge had no enclosure and the weather there was almost always subject to turning to crap. Using the lower station was almost like flying blind with a lack of visibility. Fortunately, there was little debris and floating hazzards to wory about unless you were near a glacier. But now I have a 28 FBC with only the enclosed bridge helm and I do not miss the lower helm at all. Of course, I'm in SW Florida, but we get some downpours here that are bad enough sometimes to just wait it out below. There is just too much traffic to run blind, even with radar. I wouldn't hesitate taking it out just to have that extra space for a closet for storage. The lower helm was very handy when working on the powerplants. Hopefully one doesn't have to be doing that much.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

since you have the guages and switches why not put a panal with them in each engine space so you can start and kill them and see whats going on when you work on them and use the helm space for something. Best of both worlds maybe.
randall

Post by randall »

well as usual i am the contrarian....i use my lower station all the time.....ran the boat from there in the pouring rain with patrick on board if memory serves........i have no enclosure on the bridge and like it that way most of the time.....however in a driving rain or on rare occasion when i am too burned out by the sun i run from below......no prob.....on really hot days i run with the front windshield wide open ......nice
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Ditto Randall's comments. Since I only have a Bimini top, the lower station is nice for rainy or cold days (or like Randall, when I've been toasted by the sun).

Tommy
CaptDana

28 B- New floor plan

Post by CaptDana »

I did not have the lower station , but a closet in that spot. I removed it, and put the galley in that area. Then I removed that space hog of a counter on the Port side and made a couch settee there. Dinnette remained in the same area- acutally in the process of redoing this--including putting the ac and dc panels under the seats.

I have pics if you are interested

Good Luck
Capt dana
Dana Bonney
CaptDana

Here is my album of 28b photos

Post by CaptDana »

http://photos.yahoo.com/my28bertram this link will show you last years work-- You will see a diagram of the new layout and if you look in the teak and holly pics- you will see the Port side settee. I guess I didn't take pics of the galley-- When I finish the dinette I will update interior pics.
Dana Bonney
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

I guess it depends on where and how you use your boat. I live on an island in the Strait of Georgia, and the boat is our only means of reaching civilization. My 26 has a lower helm, and the 28 I'm refitting to take its place only has a flybridge. Needless to say, I'm adding a lower helm!

Would I rather be on the flybridge? Sure; when the weather is good, there's no better feeling. But when it's cold, wet and miserable and I have to go anyway, I wouldn't give up the lower helm for anything.

Cheers!

John
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Back in the 1970's there was a B-31 in Montauk named "Twilight" owned by a guy named Don Stott and run by Bob Killey jr. It was the FBC but he put in a lower station unlike anything I've ever seen, even up to now. On the port side about mid cockpit they had built a hollow teak post flush against the side and gunwale high, On the top of it were mounted the morse controls. Coming out of the inside side of the post was a steering wheel mounted vertically facing port. Also on the side of the post were a set of starting/shutoff switches. They used the station several ways. If they were in the cockpit and hooked a giant, Bob could start up the boat, Don would jump in the chair and Bob could back down, turn both the boat and the chair at the same time if he had to. He also often backed the boat back into the slip from there, especially if only the two of them were fishing. There are times I would love to have a setup like that. Walter
Face

Post by Face »

Guys, thank you for your opinions. I have heard many of them...The thing with this boat is that I bought it after it had been neglected and actually went under for a night. The motors were pickled and I budgeted for a complete restoration of the boat. I will rewire the entire boat. I have rebuilt all electrical parts on the motors, the turbos, and the transmissions. The boat is being painted and I will at some point have a hard top and enclosure made. For now, I need to get the boat fishable. I am in college and working on these things as I have time and money. That said, this project will take a while, but will be done right.

I think the boat will be better off for my purposes (primarily fishing the Chesapeake with friends) with a single station and a second wheel in the cockpit for trolling. I know that restoring a boat is not cheap, but I think I can save some money and have more space if I remove the lower station. Also, if I have a suitable enclosure on the bridge I think I will be fine operating from the bridge.

Due to the sinking I want to replace all gauges and wiring. I will probably replace the gauge senders as well. Where should I look for gauges, senders, ignition, and warning lights/buzzers? I can order pretty much anything at wholesale cost through a friend but don't know where to start with cummins-compatible gauges/senders. By the way I have pics of the whole process so far. Thanks again to all and especially to CaptDana for the photos.
-Joe
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Our 28 FBC didn't have a lower station when we bought it. I couldn't be happier.

We would have lost alot of storage without the starboard locker, we carry a lot of Sh*t when we go out.

We have a three sided enclousure of grey strataglass (protects from the Sun) and no weather problems (we don't leave when it's raining, but have been caught in it)

We typically run 60-100 mi. one way to find tuna.

Great boat.
Jim
1975 28 FBC
Matt29

Post by Matt29 »

Kingfish,
I have some questions for you that are off this topic but in regards to your last post. I sent you a PM.
Thanks,
Matt
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Port Supply, Jamestown Distributors,
Mitch