5200/4200 or whatever

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

5200/4200 or whatever

Post by bob lico »

capt. patrick i would like to fill the area between the teak covering board and the emron painted area.actually a 1/4"gap area with a silicon type material that is not destroyed by uv in one season any sugestion by you or any body else on the board would be appreciated.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bob,

5200 comes in a mahogany color & that'd be my choice... UV really only degrades white, while black & mahogany would last much longer.

Br,

Patrick
nic

Post by nic »

Bob,

We went over to black "Sikaflex 291" (I think it is 5200 or something where you are) for all sealing including the boarding platform on the advice of the shipwright who said that black does not deteriorate from UV like white does. All our white Sika and white Mastic was UV affected so we'll see. He swears by it and has a good number of boats with black Sika holding their windows and everything else in for 10 yrs+.

Could you please tell me the source to buy the covers/flaps over your cockpit scuppers, we need some of those.

Great looking boat, been following your updates.

Thanks

Nic
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt i did use 5200 in mahogany color.it "dry out" and faded i throught something must be out there that would remain like sikiflex consistancy buy come in tan or white.i can not use black. the boat is ice blue with white upperstructure. the scuppers are from gemlux products,they are 316 ss. oem on jupiter boats as well as the 316ss thru hulls
nic

Post by nic »

Thanks Bob, ordered 'em. Ours is white on white and that was my objection too. The shipwright won me over by saying he would tape it close and at most the black would look like a shadow line. He did and it does.

Good luck

Nic
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

bob-mask it off properly and use black, it will blend in if you do it carefully.

the mahogony 5200 wont match your wood, but the tan might, the tan matched a moon dust color pretty good.

otherwise check a kitchen and bath place for something closer to the color.
Last edited by Raybo Marine NY on Feb 12th, '07, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
Raybo Marine NY

and please sand the rest of that coating off the wood first
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

And don't forget to turn that stern light off.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Leigh

5200/4200

Post by Leigh »

I used 3M 4000 with good results. I have only seen it in white, but it is supposed to be UV resistant. Stayed nice and white for the first year anyway. Leigh
Raybo Marine NY

4000UV only comes in white

it dawned on me this morning while I was thinking of Bob's boat that teak brown Boat Life would be a good match, its resistant to teak cleaners, oils, and diesel.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thanks robbie (raybo marine) boat life in teak that sounds like the ticket.i have boat life on the bridge lower panel and it has not faded.i never new they made a teak color.incidently guys i had my boat painted at raybo marine,absolutely the most detailed painted i have ever met.i would give him a 5star rating for both his painting abilities and fiberglass work.the phone number is 631-957-1919.
mike that stern light was a hard find ,it is a direct replacement for the stock perko unit made in 316 ss sold by tommy marine in florida.
Raybo Marine NY

thanks Bob- BTW the key to the boat life in teak is its resistance to the teak cleaners, some cleaners break down other sealants.
I have used the teak brown and the black, works well and stays pliable for when the wood does its natural things.

Have the yard order a tube or 2 from Lewis, or you can get it from me if you want to borrow the Rockwell sander.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Bob,

Is that light an LED ?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Face

Post by Face »

Beware of using 5200. It is nearly impossible to remove in my experience. 4200 is less difficult to remove and as previously mentioned 4000 is supposed to be UV resistant. Anyone used 101? Heard of it but haven't used it.
Raybo Marine NY

are you sure that is a stern navigation light and not a courtesy light?

attwood makes a $18 stainless light for that application that you can get anywhere. Perko makes the same light in chrome on brass
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the stern light is halogen and the application is a 180degree stern only light.the perko pits out in 3 years.the underwater lights out the stern are led with a 1/4" hole thru the hull.if this weather clears i will install and post photo on this board.