Cutlass Bearings

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

J Clark

Cutlass Bearings

Post by J Clark »

I have the boat hauled for a bottom job and waxing. Over the past few years when turning the props/shaft for cleaning, it has been difficult to turn the wheels. There is no play in the cutlass bearing, and both port and starboard have the same resistance when trying to turn. Engines are in nuetral, seemingly no alignment issues. 6 LYA STP 350 hp Yanmars. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. There are four (4) 31 Bertrams in the small marina here, all have Cummins motors except mine.
Charlie J

Re: Cutlass Bearings

Post by Charlie J »

if there is now play I would say your ok
1968 hull # 316 - 757
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Over the past few years when turning the props/shaft for cleaning, it has been difficult to turn the wheels.
J,

With the engines at rest, (makes very little difference whether in gear or not), the shafts should turn with a minimum of effort. When we finished Tommy Drake's B31 repower, we were docked at Sailfish marina, bow into a 4 kt current. The current alone was enough to slowly turn the wheels...

Two reasons that your's might be hard to turn: Either the rubber in the bearing is swollen or you're out of alignment. Out of alignment would be noticed by viberation when underway, so if that's not a problem I'd look toward the cuttlass bearing themselves. If you do end up replacing them, DO NOT use any petrochemical product to lube them when putting in the shafts. That's the main cause of the rubber swelling. Use only a liquid detergent and water to lube the bearing.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Carl

Post by Carl »

Look fore and aft of the cut less bearing. Shaft should be sitting evenly at the 6:00 position. Resting on the cutless.

If you notice gaps on one side with rubber squeezed on the opposite side or rubber worn thin you you can see how the shaft is sitting within the cutless and not aligned properly.
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Use a feeler gauge to measure the clearance, foe and aft, strb and port front of the bearing and aft of the bearing, .003 gauge,that will eliminate one sores of the problem. I've never experienced a swollen cutlass bearing ,let us know your results