Rudder feedback sensor installation

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

Rudder feedback sensor installation

Post by Kevin »

I am adding the autopilot to my Simrad. I have the RF300 and it seems as though I need to drill a hole at the top of the rudder post to connect the rod that ties it into the potentiometer. Will a normal drill bit cut through this that stuff?
Harry Babb

Re: Rudder feedback sensor installation

Post by Harry Babb »

Hi Kevin

A regualr "High Speed" will drill the stainless rudder stock just fine.....a "Cobalt" drill will be even better.

Here's the trick......do "NOT" turn the drill very fast......slow RPM (about 100-150 RPM) and enough pressure to keep it cutting will get the job done in pretty short order. Keep it cutting.....don't let it just sit there and "Rub".

I like 135 degree "Split Point" drills, it seems like these drills require much less feed pressure than conventional drill point.

The addition of a good cutting fluid will keep the drill bit cool and lubricated. Personally I like a good "Dark Cutting Oil"

Hope this helps......let us know how it all turns out.

hb
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

...as Harry said.

I'll add "IF" your chips are coming out "Tan" in color your spinning drill too fast and if you should get to "Blue" chips your going way way too fast. Chips should be silver in color with HSS bits.

Also if that rudder stock is SS...those chips are going to be sharp as razors...avoid yanking them with or without gloves.

Whichever drill bit you choose...make sure it is sharp.

Avoid the technique of progressively going larger with drills to reach your final size in SS. The heat from drilling creates a hard outer layer that your drill will not like and dull the cutting edge quickly...creating more heat that makes the layer harder dulling drill further.

No chance of clamping the potentiometer to the rudder post?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Well after studying the set up a bit I found that Carl's idea was the one for me. I made a mini-tiller out of scrap metal and held it in place with a hose clamp. There was about one inch of rudder stock above the pillow bearing that allowed me to clamp on my device. Not exactly the best quality work I have done but I was able to calibrate the sensor and run it though the commissioning process with success. Auto pilot will likely be may favorite addition to the boat in a long time. The last best thing was the windless. Thank you for the ideas and advice. As always, a real time saver!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Kevin,
They are sweet when setting up trolling poles...especially short handed.
Nice on long trips as it keeps you right on track, just gotta remember to keep that eye out for...
You'll like the addition for sure.
Carl
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Kevin,
Good luck with the a.p.
Not to get off of the subject, but, what windlass did you go with.
Thanks.
John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

John,
I got the Lewmar Profish 1000. With all the short stops at holes and heads it is priceless. It pulls up a 22lb anchor with 20 feet of chain with no problem. I got the splice to chain just right on the first try and it has never missed a transition.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Kevin i also have Simrad auto pilot it is best i explain with photo give me a chance to get to boat do not drill rudder!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Last edited by Keith Poe on Jun 3rd, '14, 04:13, edited 1 time in total.
Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Keith

If I did not know better, I would say that one shot with the gas can and all the box's looks like you intend on blowing up something.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Lol
Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Kevin Crazy busy did not get to boat but this is how i did it. Place rudder positioning sensor on rudder platform adjacent to starboard rudder facing transom .the sensor arm is the same length as drag link to rudder .just connect the two with ss threaded rod to to bolt in center og drag link were it connect to tie rod.(. Automotive talk) but most people understand tie rod ,drag link.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

No worries Bob. I think I have that part dialed in for now. It came with threaded rod and tie-rods. It just took the gang here to make me realize there was an easier way to attach it to the post.

Now the permanent mounting of the rate compass has me bamboozled. Everywhere that I would consider an ideal location per the instructions has metal and magnets nearby. Fridge, water pumps, speakers etc. According to the book it needs to be 2 meters from the engines. I was about to mount it under cabin floor hatch near V berth but realized speakers would be about 2 FEET from it. That might be cutting it a bit close?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

I mounted the compass exact center of cabin ceiling all the way forward.needless to say you need acess hatches in ceiling .i have every delicate device up there from the auto pilot pump to sonar computor all mounted on brackets out of harms way.the smart heading electronic compass is mounted dead center under salon floorboard ( least amound of rock and roll).
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Kevin- I walked around my cabin looking aimlessly for the right place. Cabin roof panels(perfect, but a pain to install), cabinets, under hatchs, dinette, each had drawbacks.

Finally I just put the compass right in the middle of the cabin on the floor and took for a ride, perfect. Couldn't leave there so I put on counter, continued on my ride...too close to fridge, moved to dinette, speakers and couldn't get position. Put in the head...perfect. Stuck in the vanity under the sink...perfect. Used boat the rest of the season like that, no issues...other then my wife hating it taking "her" space so at the end of the year I moved it back a bit and located it out of her reach.
Perfect
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Carl i am confused! The flux compass must coincide with the keel line to be dead accurate and as low as possible in addition to what kevin said about engines,radio,metal objects, the head is on starboard side i assume. Problem is if you have a slightly wrong reading the auto pilot and the GPS positioning will not be the same .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bob, head is on starbourd side and compass is all the way in the back of Vanity. I would have expected a bad reading...close to engines and fridge...but it was actually one of the best places I found and mounting required screwing in place and hiding cable under the backside of the matty thing she has in there. More often then not the GPS and Autopilot have the same headings...although not tied together...90% of my units use is setting trolling lines on a straight heading.

I am not so much recommending the location...but saying the compass has a long cable. Plop the compass on a rubber mat some place and give it a try. Have issues...move it, give a try. In doing that I saved myself alot of work by not having to run cables up to and thru the cabin headliner. Bilge had storage and pumps that needed to be relocated...

I do not mind working on boat...but much rather go fishing.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Carl the floor compartment directly in front of the galley (forward of fresh water tank) compartment is usually empty on most 31 bertram so i mounted the compass on the bulkhead between that compartment and the fresh water compartment center on keel . Run wire along stringer then in back of head up starboard pillar to bridge a express would be that much easier thats why i mention it.snaking up pillar is tough especially when it it totally pack out like mine.
Kevin i should mention the bronze drag link connected to the starboard rudder and tie rod normally has two holes in it ,the furthest goes to tie rod and you put a 1/2" bolt and hole down in inner hole with a 10/32 thead in the top of it . This connects the supplied threaded rod that simrad gives you to the arm of the sensor,
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bob- If the compartment was empty, if fresh water pump was not sharing the rear wall of compartment, If two bilge pumps were not in that compartment, if my storage compartment for spare anchor was not in there....it would have been a good choice for me. Installing compass in there would have been easy...but relocating the "stuff" so it could work well in there is what made it difficult for me.

Again, not saying it is the ideal location as spelled out in the suggestion manual, but it definitely works well.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

bob lico wrote:Carl the floor compartment directly in front of the galley (forward of fresh water tank) compartment is usually empty on most 31 Bertram so i mounted the compass on the bulkhead between that compartment and the fresh water compartment center on keel.
Exactly what I did.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315