best boat in the 45 to 50 ft range?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Todd Pearce

best boat in the 45 to 50 ft range?

Post by Todd Pearce »

Hi, iam considering updating my Bertram 42,which I love, to a newer boat ie a late 46 or a B50 if it will fit on my 50ft dock, I want a Galley up boat prefer three cabin as I have 3 kids and we like to go away and stay away,sometimes for a week or two, we fish dive, and socialize ,I am a Bertram guy at heart but I am open to other brands and a Riviera 43 3 cabin is a good example of what I am thinking, trouble is a B50 looks like such good value for money,anyway I look forward to your collective opinions
Regards Todd
Hueso

Re: best boat in the 45 to 50 ft range?

Post by Hueso »

If you do not have it....make space for a 54' Bertram. Otherwise, B50 sounds good. As UV always said: "the money in in the iron".
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

There is no better blue water boat than an older 54 Bertram. If you can find a re-powered one, think hard about it. They're not that expensive if they've not been updated. Probably about the same price as that 'custom 31' that was linked here recently.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983/Be ... 2gwt8aFQQ4
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

mike ohlstein wrote:There is no better blue water boat than an older 54 Bertram. If you can find a re-powered one, think hard about it. They're not that expensive if they've not been updated. Probably about the same price as that 'custom 31' that was linked here recently.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983/Be ... 2gwt8aFQQ4

I would go with the 54, some say best sea hull ever built and with todays engines and if you could get a gyro in her, watch out.

I have seen the boat Mike posted. I keep my boat Forked River. I am only on the Hard at one of the Marna's then I move her up a near by creek for the summer, but still part of Forked River. Now I have to remember where I saw her docked. Would not be hard to find if anyone needs me to take a look.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Goodgrief

Post by Goodgrief »

The 50 is an awesome boat, I sold my 31 last year and bought a 50 in Southern California. It was almost a trade for a perfect 31 for a nice 50! The boat was incredible running up the coast to Seattle, through BIG wind storms and huge waves. It is a great boat and an amazing value, every time I am aboard I can not believe the deal I got. It runs great, handles the water, and has all the amenities you could ask for, and its a Bertram! The build quality is suburb, they built absolute quality in these boats with fantastic finish work through out every aspect of these boats. Look deep in the boat and see the quality hardware and systems used, they are a huge step above the other boats of the era.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

mike ohlstein wrote:And is this Tom Wards boat?
Sure is...

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

And to boot, that B50 has a very good history:

Originally owned by Gary Wolfe and captained by a good friend of mine, Dennis Barrett, the Sea Wolfe was meticulously maintained and logged. Gary repowered to 10 cyl Mann diesels after the old 892s got tired, dumped the Onan transom bilge mount genset to engine room mount Northern Lights. Moved the aux oil tank from the engine room back to the transom to keep weight distribution the same.

While Dennis was the skipper, I made several round trips from northwest FL to Palm Beach, mated and co-captained numerous fishing charters, and laid the hard wood soles in both heads.

Tom bought the Sea Wolfe after Gary bought a custom G&S. Tom did a ton of updating and remodeling to the interior, and I think he updated a bunch of electronics. Tom has also been a dedicated steward to Rumrunner...

Todd, this B50 should be high on your consideration list...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Todd , there is also a very lightly used B50 family boat next to me in Islamorada,keys. I heard it was sub 300k, with mans. I'm going back down there Saturday, I'll ask if you're interested, Bill
Bill
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

the big question here guys is how long it is, my dock will take 50 ft,not an inch more!! the marina are very pedantic on this so 50'6 wont work, and ive been told every thing from 49'10 to 50'6, in the owners manual on the Bertram website it staes 49'10 but I am not sure if that includes the bow pulpit ??,
and docks are almost impossible to get

can any one tell me fuel burn numbers?
sounds like both are great boats, a little of what I`ve read about the late 46s suggests the 50 is a far better boat, so if a B50 wont fit whats the next best thing?
Last edited by Todd Pearce on May 7th, '14, 04:56, edited 1 time in total.
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Bill if you could ask it would be great,i am not ready to buy just yet because I need to sell mine first and need to make sure it will fit my dock

Capt Pat , did the Bertram official come onboard with the site ,if so how do ask him a question or two, also what sort of hard would did you use on the floors? (still need to do mine)

Mean MIke, thanks for those links , a couple of good looking boats, how big a job would it be to remove the tower, we just don't use them,or ,like them down here, so much so the boat is worth less if it has one
Regards Todd
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Learn something everyday on this site! Tower not used in new zealand never heard that before . What the hell you could cut it up for scrap or sell it where you purchase the boat . Pipewelders tower for bertram 510 cost 150,000 back in the day. Here is the bertram 51' i captained for four years she wore 4 battle flags! Yep she went thru four hurricanes the lastest was Sandy full bore into the wind. Tough boat i incresed speed for owner with 110 percent props and modified FI pump from scot ( Mann engines) Florida.36 knots at Wot quite a feat at 65,000 lns plus. Interior had massive granite counters and two generators with 275 gallons of water built to sit on hook in the islands.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

A little additional information as you probably know V -10 mann runs on 5 cylinders until you begin to put up up on plane the others 5 cut in but you have 2400 hp at the dock with these props power was massive even with trolling vaves engaged .when trying to fight the wind docking the boat in tight quarters you touch those single levers controls ans boat will jump you have to get used to it then you can spin her in place.single lever controls allow the captain to turn around when fighting fish or docking and look directly down at corners of transom .i consider these controls essential on a bertram 510 .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bob- Is that Scott from Scott Marine Power in Florida?
Worked with him a few times the past few years, a good guy to know.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Yes it is carl the best of the best! Believe me long island injection could not get it right,then shipped to Rochester NY mann injection supposed expert still no good then shipped to florida . $40,000 later i find each pair of V-10 and V12 Mann engines are more or less custom fuel injection units they are set for that boat.engines are. Relatively small in size for horsepower compare to Detroit beast and you an walk around engine in Bertram engine room but that FI is critical and delicate .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Just for info sake .... is a 37 a shrunken version of the 54 hull ?
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Bertramp , to my knowledge the 37 was the successor to the 35 and is a stand alone hull,( dosent share the same beam as the 50ft at 16'3 ) and probably one of the best Bertram hulls ever,it was my choice of boat, but 3 kids made it a bit small , I did a lot of research and its a hull that everyone can agree on being outstanding in its class ,very soft ride and very dry from my research,A lot of people used the words "awesome and outstanding" when I did my research, there was only one down here in New Zealand ,but not long after it got here word must have spread, now there`s 4 or 5 and I know another guy who is looking for one to import , I was out on the harbour the other day in my B42 and one came past, cut a nice wake , looked real sharp ,very pretty lines , some had cats 375 3208s, most had 6V92s (which would be my choice),and a few had 6V71s,I `ve seen a couple advertised with yanmar repowers,for late 100s,mostly as I watch them they seem to disappear from the market when they reach the just sub 100s, anything that gets advertised around the 80 -90k mark seems to move quite quickly
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Bob,, can you or anyone confirm that the LOA is including or excluding the bow Pulpit, its a deal breaker!!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Todd i would like to remind you that the bertram 510 starting in the year 2000 is not the older bertram 50 the italians did there thing like nobody else in the world can do that is the interior design and cabinetry. They modernize the side window area as you can see from my photo's and the photo's of rumrunner.there is a pocket in the interior over the windows that contain the mechcanism for the teak blinds really nicely done. The interior layout is conducive for entertaining because the galley countertop faces the salon to place food,drinks on and huge flat screen tv on interior transom facing window.i cannot say enough about the cabinetry !the 510 is 51' with bow pulpit i don't know old 50' dimentions.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Todd,

Try to contact Tom Ward, screen name Rumrunner, the current owner the B50 in my previous post...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

I have spent a lot of time on Tom's boat. It is rock solid and the Manns perform very well.
I helped Tom bring her up from FLA a couple of years ago. We spent a number of hours in big seas. The boat was solid and stable.
We have caught tuna and sharks and it trolls and drifts very well. Tom has got lots of money in electronics and the salon is beautiful. Nothing like watching TV and the fish finder, chart plotter while laying on a couch in the AC, saying are we there yet!
I will give Tom a call to tell him about the thread.
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Charlie, thanks for the offer but I`ve been in touch with him, and many thanks to you too tom, unfortunately it looks like its 55loa, and so wont fit, so to all out there I ask, whats the best boat up to 50ft LOA, sub 350k, three cabins galley up,??
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

yep buddy davis would work