Knee Surgery Postponed until next month

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Pete Fallon

Knee Surgery Postponed until next month

Post by Pete Fallon »

Faithful,
I just wanted to let you know that I had to postpone my 4th knee replacement surgery until the end of May because of a death in the family. Three days before I was going to go to Boston the last of my aunts died she was in her 90's and had good long life, I had to take care of her affairs here in Florida, she never had any kids. So now I an looking at either the 23rd or 30th of May for the surgery. Just as well, the weather still sucks up there and I just wasn't mentally prepared for a major surgery. I am still trying to sell the boat and all my fishing gear, prices are down on boat to 25K for the boat and call me about the gear pricing.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Carl

Re: Knee Surgery Postponed until next month

Post by Carl »

Pete,

Sorry for your loss.

Postponing knee surgery...as it seems you had very little choice in the matter, I'd say it was for the best and look forward.

I will keep an ear open for anyone looking for a 31 Express and fishing gear.

Carl
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

We'll be thinking of you Pete.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

All the luck Pete !!
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Fourth knee replacement? Why?
I am about to have one done. The doc told it should last me 10-15 years and then I could either die or get it done again. I am choosing to get it done again.
I ground up a knee in less than a year. I went from 100 miles per hour to zero in about 9 months. The doc said pain was supposed to slow the process. I was taught if it hurts just walk it off. That advice did not work for my knee.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Charlie,
Make sure that the doctor is not using a Depuy knee product. They told me that they would last 10-15 years, that's if your 80 and are ready for the box. My first one went in at 52 and 14 years later I'm going to have #4. Three different hospitals and 3 different doctors. All three of mine have been Depuy(Johnson & Johnson). The poly ethylene plastic that they use sucks. My first one actually broke, metal fractured and collapsed into tibia after 6 years and one month. The second one loosed up at the anchor point at tibia, got a year and half before the pain started, took them 2-1/2 years before they finally decided to replace it. The third has loosened up at both the tibia and femur attachment points and the poly ethylene plastic is gone completely. The next one is going to be # 4 and it is not going to be a Depuy product. Either a Zimmer or Stryker they won't know until they get inside my knee. Yesterday after being on it for 3 hours straight with crutches I couldn't sleep or put any pressure on it last night. Right now it's so swollen that it is twice the size of the other one( Never had a bit of trouble with that one) I have gone thru 35 pounds of ice since yesterday afternoon. I have a ice machine that has a 110 volt pump and keeps the chilled water circulating around a sleeve that is Velcroed around my knee, I have to change out the water after 4 hours because of the heat coming off my knee. Charlie I climbed poles for Ma Bell for 6 years before I went on the fire department for 10. Never had a problem with my knees until the pole in the station broke( bolts broke off at anchors on apparatus floor, I was getting on the pole at the second floor and the guy in front of me (my front end man, I was the tiller driver) caught his hand on the pole as her was getting off). Picture getting hit on the inside of the right knee with a 20 pound sledge hammer, hitting your back on the pole opening and then landing on the knee at the base of the pole. That's my tale of woe for tonight. What ever you do, DO NOT GET A DEPUY KNEE, ANYTHING ELSE BUT A DEPUY. Do some internet research about knee failures you will be surprised at the failure rate that they are keeping quite about.
Pete Fallon
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Hang in there Pete! I'm sure sorry you're going through all this...
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Thanks for the info. I am calling to find out what they use. It is a funny thing they do not want to talk much about the piece of metal they are putting in your leg. What they seem to focus on is how are they going to get paid.
Thanks again.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

I am getting a Stryker triathlon model.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Charlie,
The Stryker is supposed to be okay now, Stryker had major issues a few years ago, major law suits, check it out on the web. Since then they have cleaned up their act. I am trying to get to Boston to have mine done, every time I get ready to leave something comes up. I can't wait much longer, the swelling is getting worse everyday, going thru 2 bags of ice a day in the CryoCuff machine, it's a little Igloo cooler with a circulating pump for the cold water that is attached by Velcro keeps the pain and swelling down, I finished painting the patio floor Monday afternoon, paying the price yesterday and today knee is swollen twice the size of the other. It's hard to paint with a roller on a pole with crutches, but it had to get done. When are you having the replacement put in?
My boat is still for sale along with the rods and reels, if you know anyone up in your area that is looking for a 31 express $ 25,000 firm.
Pete
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Got the new knee a little over a week ago. Swelling is going down and pain is under control. This morning I am walking around without the walker or cane. Just went up two flights of stairs to surprise the wife. All she did was yell at me for being stupid. "You could have fallen".
I think I am making good progress. The PT is areal pain in the knee and ass, but necessary. The drugs help a lot.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

CharlieJ,
I am glad to hear that your doing better, whatever you do not push it. I know how much better it feels without the constant nagging pain, After my last replacement it felt like someone lifted a huge weight off of me, I just wish it lasted longer than 4 months. The drugs help control the pain but can also mask it, so do the PT faithfully, that's the only way your going to get it strong again. Watch out when coming down the stairs or any type of incline, going down hill puts a tremendous strain on the knee. After the 2nd replacement felt so good after the surgery that I wasn't real careful and pushed too hard, I think that the cement that they used didn't cure properly and caused it to loosen prematurely.
I am trying to get enough money together so I can get up to Boston and have mine done for the 4th time. I have only been able to do two surveys since my last job back in February, I did a job with Bruce for about 4 days straight and couldn't walk for over 5 days when it was done. I did a job yesterday from 730 AM to 430 PM including the sea trail on a 40' Cabo, thank God it was flat calm but just all the climbing up and down the bridge ladder and getting into tight compartments did a number on my knee. I am up now because of the severe pain, it swelled up to 3 times the normal size and the pain woke me up this morning at 600 AM, I did manage to get a 2 hour nap this afternoon. Even sitting at my desk typing up the survey is very uncomfortable.
Anyway enough of my problems , Charlie take it slow, get your self well and don't over extend yourself. I hope you have better luck than I did with fake joints.

Guy's I really have to sell my 31 Express and fishing gear, so if anyone knows somebody that wants a boat that needs very little work done please call me. 561-310-7179
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Pete,
I have been trolling for you down here but no bights yet.
We just need to find the right person.