Fiberglass Window Frames

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Major

Fiberglass Window Frames

Post by Major »

I was looking over the articles and products again on this site and was looking at the window frames this time. I have a 28 and considered getting rid of my aluminum frames in favor of something like this but was curious if you could still be safe with changing the way the glass is installed. I see on the one on this site for the 31's you have the glass being installed from the inside and it has a backer to keep the glass in place. If I made frames to mount it from the outside and made the reveal a little larger so more glass was in contact, could you do away with the second piece holding the glass in place? What I mean is you would rely on the adhesive to hold the glass from popping out.

Does SikaFlex break down fast with UV exposure, is it not strong enough to support the glass or is the other brace just a better way to get a more secure end result? With using the piece on the inside to hold the glass in place how are you screwing it in place? From the picture it looks like it would be a close fit even if you went almost vertical with the screws. I see how the outside is done but not the inside.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Fiberglass Window Frames

Post by mike ohlstein »

Major wrote:Does SikaFlex break down fast with UV exposure….
No, it doesn't. I used it on my 'new' rub rail about 10 years ago and it still looks and feels brand new.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

My 31 has the glass on the inside secured by sika flex only , make sure u use the proper etchant to prep the glass,inside window frames r cosmetic only, I used lots of masking tape to protect to protect the areas , inside and outside, I didn't like or want the nasty black stuff on me, wear and change gloves often, probably the messiest task I ever attack
Major

Post by Major »

Thanks for the info. Thats good to know it will hold and not break down too quick. I may give this a go then since I feel like it will really help the boats appearance.

Marlin: That sounds about like my other caulking adventures. Ill definitely try to come up with a plan for the inevitable mess.