Price to re paint/gel a 31?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Andres vW

Price to re paint/gel a 31?

Post by Andres vW »

Out of curiosity, what is a ballpark figure to re paint a 31 ? Re gelcoat?
Thanks.
TailhookTom

Re: Price to re paint/gel a 31?

Post by TailhookTom »

I don't want to sound like a smart ass - but it can be anything from $1,000 to $100,000. It depends on what you want it to look like in the end. While the actual Imron cost to paint my B31 was in the $2,500 range for materials (I did a metallic flake on the hull and white topsides), the real money is in the prep work. A lot will depend on how fair the boat was to start with and how fair you want it in the end. To be a bit more realistic, I think you are looking somewhere between $10,000 and $20,000 for a nice paint job -- but not something that looks like Gert's for example.

Let's see what others have to say.

Best regards,

Tom
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

AndresvW,
These prices are a few years old but figure $100.00 per foot for gel coating, Depends on what your using for paint but figure at least 70 per foot, it also depends on the location of the boat West Palm Beach prices are higher than the prices in Stuart, boat yard here in Stuart are charging between $75 and $80 a hour for yard work, West Palm they are at $100. It also depends how hungry the guy that's doing the work is and the time of the year.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Pete:

Is that the cost just to shoot the boat? What if there is sanding, fairing, removal and replacement of hardware etc.?

Tom
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

AndresvW,
A friend of mine just had his 31 Express shot at Cracker Boy in West Palm (Rivera Beach) last summer, just to do the cockpit, side decks, engine boxes, bridge wings, cabin house, cabin house top and forward deck was over $5,500 and that was just a light sanding, taping off the fittings and masking off the tower legs and windows. He used Sterling paint. It's not cheap.

When I had my boat re-gel coated I removed just about everything all the deck fittings, emblems, out rigger bases, cleats and upper bridge window frames and lower window glass was removed from the boat. We also removed 25 years of bottom paint, fixed some dings in the fiberglass bottom and applied 2 coats of epoxy barrier coat and 1 coat of Sea Hawk ablative bottom paint and a gel coated red boot stripe. The exhaust fittings and cockpit scuppers were also removed and it cost me over $50,000 to gel coat the hull sides and shoot everything above the rub rail with Imron White 508 also paint the rub rail and window frames black. That was my price in 1995 and it kept the fiberglass guy and painter busy all winter inside a heated building. To do it now is going to be near a $100,000. if not more. Good luck and bring plenty of cash for the extras that you never thought of before you started.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Andres vW

Post by Andres vW »

Thanks Pete,
5500 for topside sounds about what Im being quoted.
Andres.