Deck Paint - Non skid painting

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Deck Paint - Non skid painting

Post by John F. »

Crows Nest's decks are aftermarket (cabrera or whatever) with nonskid. They've been painted at least once before. I sanded them with 150, and have primed them. They look pretty good. After sanding and priming, they have a little nonskid texture left.

I'm going to paint them with Interlux perfection oyster white with no flattening agent (thanks guys). I bought a quart of Interlux nonskid particles. I'm going to roll and tip. I mixed the nonskid in last time I painted a deck, and it came out fine, so that's how I'm going to try to do it this time. My plan is to paint one coat with no nonskid mixed in. After a few days of drying, to tape off and do a second coat with nonskid mixed in, and after that drys, do a third coat with no nonskid.

Is one coat of nonskid enough? Do I need to do a coat over th nonskid coat to make sure the nonskid particles are fully painted in?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Buju

Re: Deck Paint - Non skid painting

Post by Buju »

John, we recently touched on this in Kevins engine hatch thread. ( http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10129 )
Rolling the poly with the non-skid in it is doable, but the least effective way to get uniformity in the dispersal of the aggregate.

If you're hell bent on rolling the poly, then consider using the "salt shaker/solo cup" method to evenly disperse the nonskid particles... roll your paint out, then quickly, while its still fully wet, evenly apply your aggregate.
Let it dry, brush off the excess grit.
Decide if you need more, or not. Apply a finish coat of polyurethane over the nonskid to seal it up.

Putting the nonskid in a gun and shooting it is far better than any other alternative.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

John,
Don't let the gun intimidate you if you have not used one. I was always the do boy and did all the prep work and the true painters applied the paint on my boat. Mark gave great advise and I went with it. I was very happy with the results. Now with the rest of the paint being old and beat up the whole cockpit needs to be painted to match the hatch. I am never bored round here.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

John,
I have used a pepper shaker like the one in a pizza place for crushed peppers. I mixed course and med sand and sprinkled on wet paint. Then blow extra off. I'll try to post some pictures.
This is my hardtop I painted 2 years ago. Can't find pictures of my engine boxes. But am happy with my roll and tip method. Bought a harbor freight gun, going to play with on some other projects first. I used Algrip
1976 FBC
3208 NA
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Buju,

That is GREAT information on being able to spray the non-skid. I had no idea. What nozzle size do you need? I have a 1.5 mm gravity feed gun and I think a 1/4" nozzle on the siphon gun.

Thanks,

JohnV8r
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
John F.

Post by John F. »

Thanks for all the advice, and the link to Kevin's hatch thread. I'm rolling and tipping because I don't have a gun, compressor, or place to spray. I can roll and tip in my garage with the door open for ventilation.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J