Hatch gutter drains

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Jim M.

Hatch gutter drains

Post by Jim M. »

I have a Glass Tech cockpit deck. The hatch gutters do not have drains. What is the best way to drain them? Can they drain overboard? Other options into a sump with a pump or just into the bilge. Other questions are what size hoses and what kind of fittings.
Thank you,
Jim
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Hatch gutter drains

Post by CaptPatrick »

Jim,

Before I go into details and diagrams, how good are you with fiberglassing with polyester resin?
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Jim M.

Post by Jim M. »

Capt Patrick: Not to bad. Used to build surf boards.
Jim
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Good! This won't be the easiest way, but you asked for the best way.

PVC is reactive with both acetone and polyester resin so it a good material to incorporate into a fiberglass structure. And PVC fittings are easy to come by...

You'll want 2 drain holes per hatch and both will be at the aft end of the gutter race and in the corners. The Glasstech style deck has 5 larger size hatchs and the small hatch over the fuel fill. You only need 1 drain for that small hatch. Get 11 schedule 80 1/2" Spigot (glues into a socket or fitting) by 1/2" barb fittings.

Now take your deck out of the boat. (I know, groannnn...) Turn it upside down and sand a flat spot where each pvc barb will be glassed on. Plug any "drain holes" that Glasstech drilled in the race. If you have holes in the forward side of race, you'll glass over them.

Sand the slip joint section of the barbed fitting. Wipe it and the sanded flat on the race down with acetone. Put a dab of super glue on the fitting and center it on the flat corner of the race. Allow it to set up for about 5 minutes.

Using pulled tufts of fiberglass mat, glass the fitting to the race. Apply at least 3 layers of 1 1/2 oz mat or 6 layers of 3/4 oz mat.

Once your deck is back in place, use a rotary burr to increase the size of the holes over the pvc fittings.

Use an appropriate size clear pvc tubing routed and secured to where you want the water to drain to. I usually just drain it to the bilge, but routing the hose away from what ever I don't water dripping onto and making the tubing long enough to be just above the hull.

Now, is there an easier way? I'm sure there probably is, but this is way I do it, it's a right way, and it's my story and I'm stickin' to it... I'll let somebody else suggest easier ways.

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Jim M.

Post by Jim M. »

Capt. Pat. Thank you, should of done this when I had the deck out for the new fuel tank.
Jim M.
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

Jim when your ready shoot me a PM, you can do all your work at my yard. I have all the material you'll need, lots of space and tools do do the job.
4 1/2 years to build, Slashed Sept 16, 2016. 212 hours already and counting.
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

While I am redoing the rear bulkhead/windows and raising the engine hatches on my 28 I think that I will incorporate this project also. Thanks Capt Pat.
Troy & Daria

28 Bertram FBC, 3.9 Cummin BT's

Conchy Joe "ITS THE BOAT'S NAME, NOT MINE" -
Hypoluxo Point, FL