Fishing around Miami

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tony Meola

Fishing around Miami

Post by Tony Meola »

For the Florida Faithfull.

I have a co-worker heading to Florida in two weeks on vacation. They are going to be near Miami. He was hoping to get in some game fishing. Besides Sails, what else is in season. He was hoping to go Marlin fishing but I told him I was not so sure how hot that bite is down in Florida this time of the year.

Any information is helpful.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Pete Fallon

Re: Fishing around Miami

Post by Pete Fallon »

Tony,
Have your friend hook up with the charter boat out of Crandon Park Marina on Key Biscayne name of the boat is L&H used to be run by John Dudas great fisherman I think Jimmy David is running the boat now another great fisherman. Those are the only guys I know down there now everyone else is retired or passed away. I almost forgot about Bouncer Smith one the best tarpon fisherman in the US, he's also a great sail fish producer. I wouldn't get my hopes up for Marlin this time of the year, a lot of sails still around and dolphin & wahoo should be good.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Thums Up

Post by Thums Up »

Tony

I would look up Ray Rosher, Miss Britt, he is out Coconut Grove, Miami. The sails are good, inshore deep dropping for bottom fish also, sword fishing both day and night have been good. Tarpon the big ones are not around the little guys are always around. There are some Bonefish in Biscayne Bay but it depends on the cold fronts.

Greg
http://Www.GT-lures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Thanks for the help. I will let him know.

Greig how are things? Hope the family is doing well.

Will catch up with you when the weather breaks. Really want to try and get in early this year. Great hopes, but we will see.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Thums Up

Post by Thums Up »

Tony,

We are all doing well thanks! Have not worked on the boat at all this winter. Been so busy with lures. The lure bus..has taken off......Greg
http://Www.GT-lures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Went fishing yesterday saw a nice Bertram 31...

Then we had an SOB pelican feeding of our live bait hanging from the kite... Until he was hooked and reeled in... After we released him he went off to bug the Bertram...

Also caught me a sailfish (first one :) too)... Saw it jumping in the air about 200 yards back... When it jumped right in front of the transom the mate had gotten in the way to grab the leader...

Several seconds later the fish broke the leader... Capt. & mate both estimated the fish at 40-50 #...

No picture of the fish though... You'll all have to take me at my word...

The boat's Capt's dad used to be a Bertram dealer back in the day... The Capt. drives a VERY nicely kept older 42' Post... Tell him I sent you and that you're a member of the faithful and he'll make you a deal... During this time of the year he works out of the Hillsboro Inlet (Pompano Beach, FL)... Only 1 bridge to cross before you're out at sea...

http://www.carolinagentleman.net
Last edited by Navatech on Feb 27th, '14, 20:49, edited 2 times in total.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Boat looks like "Mr Toad" out of Pompano.
Last edited by Bertramp on Feb 27th, '14, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Bertramp wrote:Boat looks like "mr Toad" out of pompano
Very possible as this is just outside of the Hillsboro Inlet (Pompano Beach, FL)... Pretty amazing (IMHO) that the fishing is so good a mile (and possibly less) offshore... We were mostly running in 100-200 feet deep water...

It would also fit the green hull color...
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

You can catch fish and still see the beach, which is why you can get away with a gas boat in that area.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Bertramp wrote:You can catch fish and still see the beach, which is why you can get away with a gas boat in that area.
See the beach?!... Heck, if it were a topless beach you could see nipples with a pair of 7x50's...
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bouncer was a great fisherman and ran a very well respected charter business but I believe he has retired. :(