cummins 5.9

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

1962 31

cummins 5.9

Post by 1962 31 »

is it at all feasible to convert a truck motor over to marine use doing a build for a customer and he doesn't want the old motor back. its got my wheels turning!
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: cummins 5.9

Post by mike ohlstein »

It has been done. Mike Holmes did it, but I don't think that it turned out too well.

Once you work out the the cost of conversion, it just doesn't pay. The thing that most people forget to add into the equation is that you need to change the cam (not just the timing). The truck engines are designed to be happy at 1750 rpm. The marine engine needs to be happy at 2800 rpm. Perhaps others will claim different, but I'll just delete their posts.......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

mike ohlstein wrote:It has been done. Mike Holmes did it, but I don't think that it turned out too well.

Once you work out the the cost of conversion, it just doesn't pay. The thing that most people forget to add into the equation is that you need to change the cam (not just the timing). The truck engines are designed to be happy at 1750 rpm. The marine engine needs to be happy at 2800 rpm. Perhaps others will claim different, but I'll just delete their posts.......
I like it oh grand exhaulted leader!
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Mike wrote:It has been done. Mike Holmes did it, but I don't think that it turned out too well.

Perhaps others will claim different, but I'll just delete their posts.......

Sounds like he chose the wrong mechanic....LOL! ! !

hb
hb
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Harry & 1962 31
Mike Holmes spent a bunch of money redoing a pair of Dodge diesels he had them running pretty good until a hurricane came along and destroyed his boat in Texas back awhile ago, His boat was an express called the Black Sheep. I don't think it's worth screwing around trying to convert engines when the Cummins reman's are fairly cheap.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

How much are the Remans these days Pete.....do they come as complete marine engines ready for install?

I think several years ago they were $10K....with a core to trade in.

hb
hb
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harry

In 2008, a pair or the 270's, with zF's, Harness, guages were just shy of 40 with no trade in.

Tom, it is doable, the issue is by the time your done, if you figure in your time, you will be close to cost of remans.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

1962 31

I have 2 24v Dodge Cummins engines in my CC TSF. They don't run often but that is my fault not the engines fault, I had fiberglass fuel tank issues and that's where the boat stands right now. Started changing the tank and life got in the way, so it's on stands waiting for me to get back to it.

There used to be a couple guys down here in Texas that put together a pretty well thought out kit to convert them, but it really didn't work out economically. I live near Mike Holmes. The guys I bought the kit from were not the same guys that did Mike's boat but same circle of folks.

The engines ran well when I was using the boat. There are a couple other boats down here that have had them for several seasons. So yea it can be done, but is it really a good idea.....not so much. At the time it was the only way I was getting diesels in my boat and I enjoyed the project. But if you do decide to go with Frankenstein motors, be ready to go it alone. Marine guys won't touch them, truck guys won't touch them, resale is non-existent.

Like I said, I enjoyed the project and don't regret doing it, but would I do it again.... Nope, remans or used marine Cummins are a much more viable method. That being said if you have a question let me know.

Daniel