Kobelt controls

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bbtiller

Kobelt controls

Post by bbtiller »

Has any one had experience with these. They can be modified to work in a helm pod for use with the Ongaro Palm Beach style handles, which is what I'm loking at doing. (I have 6bta's)

http://www.kobelt.com/products/controls ... 0000f575ed
BRUISER
BERG1552M76F-315
Bradley Tiller
bob lico

Re: Kobelt controls

Post by bob lico »

I don't see why not they have the most important 3" of throttle travel the rest is easy.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

bbtiller,
I am not a big fan of Kobelt Controls, when we were building the center console boats back in the late 90's early 2000's we started to use single lever Kobelts and helm pumps. We did the first 2 boats with them and we used their helm pump systems. The first boat had a problem with system contamination from particles of Kevlar clogging the inner fluid passages of the helm pump, it turned out to be from the inner jacket of the supply and return lines made with Kevlar some how the particles were getting into the pumps, Kobelt kept saying we contaminated the fluid which we did not, we lost the first boat sale because were couldn't take the client for a test ride it had 2 hours of running time on the helm pump, also we had a problem with getting full throw on the throttle lever, we had to use an extender at the engine end. When we asked for support from the factory they played mickey the dunce and no-one knew anything. Since that time they were sold to a Ft Lauderdale company. Before that experience, I ran a lot of boats that were equipped with Kobelt helms and shifters with out any failures. But it only takes once to sour someone on a product. We went to Sea Star helm pumps and the engine manufacturers throttles and they were trouble free.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

bbtiller,
I fished on Brian and Lisa Barragy's 31 in Mexico several years ago, and, they have those controls on all of their boats...flawless, according to his captain...stainless handles...what a thought for a saltwater boat..Brian loves them.
John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Thums Up

Post by Thums Up »

Kobelt controls are pretty good, Rybovich modified them to use in there helm pods for years. It can be done pretty easily. Just need to get a piece of large angle alum. from a place like online metals to make a bracket to hold them in place.

Greg
http://Www.GT-lures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Installed Kobelt single lever because they are S/S, not Morse pot metal; also handsome. Only wish the T-handles on top were closer together. Other than that, Terrific!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Nice job on the switches.W/P ,neat this is the way to go.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
scot

Post by scot »

Kobelt is about as good as it gets IMHO. Very well built, commercial grade stuff.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Followup question on an old thread. In our Soft-top Express, there isn't enough room to do separate clutch/throttle controls, so when the Yanmars were installed many moons ago, a control (present day by Seastar MT-3) was installed. Along the way, cable clamps were installed no doubt to reduce downward creep as there appears to be no adjustment inside the MT-3. I'm not a fan of this setup, as the cable constriction near the engine when torqued enough to eliminate creep, can also cause the cable to hold when decelerating the engine, thus a choppy reduction of RPMs. Clear as mud?

While I'm sure the Kobelt 2047 will do the same dual function, dual engine controls, and I think they are a better product, the only drag/creep reduction I can find is in the WOT position. Anyone who has a set of Kobelt single lever/dual action mechanical controls - do you know if there is a drag adjustment on the unit w/o the need for a cable clamp? The engines being controlled are Yanmar 230hp 4LH-STEs.

Mikey's pic in this thread is exactly what ours would look like.
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Not sure how old your current controls are but the mt3 single controls now do have built in friction controls and will be far cheaper than kobelt.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

I have the morse controls that we installed in 2009 and I have never experienced any throttle creep. Lets see if I can explain this properly, but the only issue I have is that when I engage the throttle it has and I will call it a stop point, to prevent you from engaging the transmission and giving it too much throttle. That is fine, but then the linkage on the transmission has a similar set up, so I have to push the controls past the second stop point on the transmission linkage and it can be a bit of pain until you get used to it.

I have the cummins with the ZF transmissions.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
ranjr13

Post by ranjr13 »

Bruce - our Yanmar dealer says they have no adjustment, but the friction device may just be worn out. I do have a call into the company to see if there is anything replaceable to get more friction back in them. I will inquire about a more modern version, which might have a different friction device.

Tony - they're smooth shifting, and smooth accelerating - just that after a bit, they creep down, and towards the end of last season as I'd back them down gradually, I could move the levers almost an inch without response, then drop near 1,000 rpms. Like I said the previous owner had cable clamps put on near the engines, so if I do replace controls, I'll replace throttle cables too. At that point the pricing I'm seeing isn't a huge difference to go to Kobelts if they're a lot better in the long run.

Thanks as always for the input. Bruce, when you're ready for donations, please say the word.

Bob
Bob Norton Jr.
"Dalmatian - Essex, CT"
1964 Bertram 31 Soft Top Express
Carl

Post by Carl »

Might also be your cables. I have two sets of MT-3 on my Express. One for helm other for tower. Tower was new a few years ago...old I think was original from 62.

The old unit used to creep a bit on Port side, when I installed tower I replaced cables on that side with Super Dupper Supremmo or whatever the better cable that allows tighter radius's and problem went away. I'll also mention I use a spring return on throttles...had to play with spring to get Just right amount to bring home all the way.

Tony- If you have the Shifter Indent at a different point then the Tranny Indent...thats a pain in the butt adjustment but can be done, sometimes by adjusting connection point on tranny lever, bracket placement etc. The real pain is trying to get the two Controls adjusted using the adapter mechanism they used to offer for 2nd helm.
Howesounder

Post by Howesounder »

I put Kobelt on my 4588. Single lever, dual engines, two stations. Same as pictured above I think. Expensive........and worth the expense was my read. No issues, worked like silk.

Steve
David Davidson

Post by David Davidson »

I have just bought a set of Kobelt 2048 levers which I was very impressed with when they arrived. Good looking, well built.
However, they are BIG.
Whe I took them to the boat they looked REALLY BIG.
With the 90 degree of lever travel either way I am not even sure they will fit on my 31 console. Has anyone fitted these on a 31, and can the levers be restricted to less than 90 degrees?
Did I mention they are BIG?
David Davidson
1971 B31 FBC Hull no 315-1106
spencer

Post by spencer »

I put in Rollins controls ,
In Capt Particks helm pod

They give a discount to Bertram 31 members
Was recommended by Capt Patrick
spencer

Post by spencer »

http://www.rgrsolo.com/

Here is the site
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl wrote:Tony- If you have the Shifter Indent at a different point then the Tranny Indent...thats a pain in the butt adjustment but can be done, sometimes by adjusting connection point on tranny lever, bracket placement etc. The real pain is trying to get the two Controls adjusted using the adapter mechanism they used to offer for 2nd helm.

Carl

Thats it. Are you saying that I can resolve that my changing the connection point at the linkage on the transmission?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote: Carl

Thats it. Are you saying that I can resolve that my changing the connection point at the linkage on the transmission?

Maybe.
Changing the connection point at transmission linkage "closer to" OR "further from" pivot point, in essence changes the throw of the Control.

First I'd disconnect cable linkage from transmission, verify Control is at neutral Indent and Tranny is at the Neutral Indent then see if Cable Linkage is in line with trans connection point. If not adjust linkage so its centered. Reconnect and move tranny in and out of neutral, make sure indents on tranny is right on.

Now we need to check Forward and Reverse. Put Control in Gear, remove linkage and check tranny is centered at the indent, same with reverse.

If indents line up, your good. If not can they be fine adjusted with linkage? Or maybe a rough adjustment at cable clamp...utilize another set of holes or tweak bracket...then adjust fine with linkage ends.

OR with Neutral set did you find cable throw is not enough in both forward and reverse...if so is there a closer to pivot connection point on transmission lever? If so try that, same thing to check. Control in Forward, Neutral and Reverse linkage should be aligned.

If you overshooting, is there a further away connection point on tranny?

If no additional connection points...I'd verify throw of cable matches throw of Control, and matches throw of tranny at connection point, see that cable slides relatively easy in and out. A binding cable, a tranny shifter that too tight. A cable bent in too tight a radius or bracket not in line with shifter all can bind cable reducing throw. Also a Control that needs a good cleaning and lube can hang up throw a bit.

I mention as next step is

-if you do need more ...connect cable linkage closer to pivot point by drilling hole...its a permanent hole so verify before doing this.
Too much throw, drill hole further away from Pivot point.

I had to do this on mine as the connection box for 2nd helm ate up some of the throw distance and could not fully engage F and R.
Did on dads boat to his Throttle connection as his cable throw never hit WOT from Idle. Cable throw was too short...Steyr, maybe a metric thing?

Standard with all components working properly should line up and work without alteration...drilling hole to relocate is a work around.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

Thanks. I will try and tackle this once she is back in the water.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:Carl

Thanks. I will try and tackle this once she is back in the water.
Good luck, cables are always fun!

If you have a problem, give a shout, maybe a 2nd set of eyes can help.
Although, it may cost you a cold beer...

Carl
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

Beers are cheap. Plus I would have to throw a couple of steaks on the grill.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Tony,

Count me in for help as well.

Joe
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony, I want to help too!
Instead of beer, can you chip-in for my ticket ? Haha.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

Hey, its beginning to sound like a party! We may not have a chance to get any work done.
lol

Beer's cheap, and only needed for quick toast if we got it figured out.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Man
mention food and the board is in. LOL,
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Sounds like a Kegger Party is in the making......
Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]