Rear bulkhead windows

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

conchy joe

Rear bulkhead windows

Post by conchy joe »

Ok, so I did not want to but I had to raise the engine hatches on my 28 FBC to accommodate installing a Fisher Panda generator on the port side, outboard of the motor. As the rear bulkheads are out now and the original plywood panels weigh a ton and the original windows are fogged I was contemplating replacing the bulkheads with Coosa board or the like. I was searching the website for photographs/details were others have done this project and could not find anything really great on the subject. Does anyone have a link that I may have missed? I would like to put large windows in the back and replaced the door with a large window.

As always, thanks.
Troy & Daria

28 Bertram FBC, 3.9 Cummin BT's

Conchy Joe "ITS THE BOAT'S NAME, NOT MINE" -
Hypoluxo Point, FL
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Rear bulkhead windows

Post by CaptPatrick »

Troy,

This may give some ideas... http://www.bertram31.com/hancock/img/bulkhead/
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

THANKS….. That was exactly what I was looking for!

Any ballpark idea of what I would expect to pay for the custom cut glass? and any recommendations on a company to supply the glass? I'm in the West Palm Beach area.
Troy & Daria

Hypoluxo Point, FL
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Can't help there much, Troy. Been gone from the area too long and glass prices are always fluxuating... Last glass I bought was over 4 years ago and here in Texas. That order also included side windows and was $881.00 plus tax. I'm guessing, that the 2 back windows were about 30% of that order; maybe $265 range for 1/4" tempered Graylite 14.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Patrick,

Is there a reason why the original bulkhead should not be removed? I have a couple of areas of rot on both sides in the usual places on the tabbed in top parts of the bulkheads here:

and here:

I was thinking of replacing both bulkheads when the engines are out, but seeing the way you built around the existing bulkheads makes me wonder if there is a reason I should not remove and replace them.

Also, does someone sell the original style window frames?

Love the pics of how you did this!!!

Thanks in advance.

John
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

I should clarify that I have already removed the center bulkhead piece in the bilge that was badly rotted. It is this area and the one in the corner on the previous post that is the current problem. It just seems like a ridiculous shortcut to not replace those bulkheads while the engines are out.

Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Troy, I think I still have the templates that captain pat made for me for aft windows and door,at Murrellmarine ,I made plywood templates of the glass and took them to B and B glassb near Tuppens I think,tinted tempered glass,sides, door, aft, maybe 500$ range, the captain has a special process for etching and caulking the glass in place, may still have some of that black stuff left, still wearing it on my hands after 3years, I even wore gloves,my windows have been subject to heavy seas and just recently put teak trim frames around them,that glue works
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

Thanks. Marlin that would be great.
Troy & Daria

Hypoluxo Point, FL