looking for a Shallow Sport boat

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

looking for a Shallow Sport boat

Post by JohnCranston »

These boats are built in S.Tx., and thought that one of the Texans might know where I could find a screaming deal on a 18', 20'. or 21'.
Many thanks.
John 713-906-0842
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: looking for a Shallow Sport boat

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

Look into New Water Boatworks...

They're built by a couple of our Faithful Members, (Les Brown & Tim Clancy). I've seen their boats up close and personal, been to the production plant just south of San Antonio, and the boats are spectacular in design and build.

Maybe, Les will chime in...

Br,

Patrick

Buju

Post by Buju »

NewWater does have some really unique sleds. I like the ones that seem like a hybrid between a texan scooter and a floridian skiff…
Avocet, Curlew….
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Mark,

The Ibis was kinda' my favorite.

The 5" draft w/ 200 Yamaha and full fuel (at rest) really grabs your attention...

Buju

Post by Buju »

Yeah, nothing wrong with the Ibis whatsoever. Beamy, stable, shallow, and versatile. Just much more scooter than skiff, which is what Johns looking for.
The Avocet is their model which first grabbed my attention years ago. I like the hybrid aspect of it, would make a good solid Keys skiff.
The Stilt, cool little micro skiff… they're gonna move a lot of them.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Patrick and Mark,
Check out shallowsport.com. I wade fished out of a 18' classic over Superbowl weekend...very impressive...Laguna Madre bay was choppy, and the little boat cut right through it..no spray with a 20 knt wind. She floats in 4" of water. After fishing out of her for 2 days, I'm sold. I'm looking to buy asap, but, it's got to be the right deal. I know that Les and Tim build a fantastic boat, but, they know that I'm cheap. Mmy budget is around $20k...I'm looking for a older hull with newish power.
Thanks guys for the help.
John.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Im familiar with em John, they're one of the more interesting hull designs Ive seen. Its even in their logo. Been around a long time too, should be some available. But not down my way.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

A good friend of mine has one of these in the 24' model and fishes it out of Port Aransas in Corpus Christi Bay chasing redfish. He damn near gave me a heart attack we he headed straight into an area where there was very obviously, NO WATER -- maybe a foot deep -- at 30kts.

Tom

http://elpescadorboats.com/el-pescador-240/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

I messed up. It's http://shallowsportboats.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;," and, the 18' will draft 6" at rest.

Tom,
I have a Explorer 230 tunnel V which I plan to keep, and, it's very similar to the El Pescador, but, I can't get to those skinny back bays that are less than 1'. I need the Explorer for fishing the surf from June to Sept., and, the Shallow Sport for the shallow bay stuffthe the rest of the time.

Thanks.
John.
Tom

Post by Tom »

John, I have the 23T as well, great boat but not for ultra skinny.
Here's 3 for sale.

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showt ... p?t=801281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;""
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showt ... p?t=792193" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showt ... p?t=765721" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

The Marshall topwater is a knockoff of the same hull, although no longer made can be picked up cheaper than shallowsport. A buddy had one and I like it.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Tom,
Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to check out the Marshall. What do you think the draft is on your 230 TV?
Many thanks.
John.
Tom

Post by Tom »

John,I have a 150 VMax w/ TRP as power, boat and motor are 2001 models I think. Loaded at rest, motor up, it floats in 9 or 10". I can run on plane in 7". Can get up in mud as long as its floating, say 10", sand is more like 15"+.

My buddy's Marshall floated and ran much shallower, he liked to run in bird toe knuckle depths. I hated it, the shallow running. Fit and finish wasn't as nice as Shallow Sport but priced accordingly. Resale was tougher because it wasn't a Shallow Sport. He now runs a newer 24' Haynie Cat. Its a bad double ass boat, but you won't catch me paying for that pleasure.

Never have swapped ends in my Explorer, but I tend to be fairly safe in all things boating.

Would send you pictures of his old Marshall, but I don't think it would help you! More of a got to touch it fella I know.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Tom,
Thanks, I had the same 01 boat and motor..the trp blew up last year and was replaced with a Suzuki 175 4 stroke...the same weight as the Yamaha. If it's not too much of a hasstle, would you please send pics of the top water to pam.cranston@yahoo.com ? I'll get a couple of my buddies to check it out.
I appreciate the help.
John
Tom

Post by Tom »

Will send them to be sure. My TRP lower unit came undone in October. Bought a new one though as it was cheaper than repower.
Tom

Post by Tom »

John, my apologies but cannot locate photos of my friends Topwater. To be clear, he sold his already. But worth a peak if you find one.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Tom,
Thanks anyway. I couldn't find any out there for sale right now. I wish that you would have posted about your trp...I had my lower unit just sitting there. I ended up selling it to my neighbor who put it on his 250 hp SHO...I would have given it to you if I knew.
Thanks.
John.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Here's an 18 on the FL Sportsman site:
http://forums.floridasportsman.com/show ... any-extras

What's the main advantage of the TRP lower/props. Is it faster & shallower hole shots?
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.