Confused!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JimmyG

Confused!

Post by JimmyG »

Went to th AC boat show today with a few things on my mind to get... electronics,a head,air conditioner,hard top,gen set, helm chair oh yea engines!!! Now I'm more confused then ever Garmin? Simrad? Furuno? Yanmar Cummings???? I know one thing I wish I found a time machine ....prices sure have changed since my last Bertram restore!!!
Tony Meola

Re: Confused!

Post by Tony Meola »

JImmy

I am hearing reports, but of course it is all just chatter, that the new Garmin Radar is going to be able go head to head with Furuno.

Who did you talk to about engines? The Cummins re-mans are still out there and probably the biggest bang for the buck.

By the way, did you buy your last 31 off of a guy with the last name Albert. He is a big bulk header up in the Forked River area, and when I was repowering mine he told me he sold his to a guy who owned a Body Shop.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Tony, It was a long time ago he was a retired cop I don't remember his name but the boat was called "Comp-Time" . As far as the engines I really prefer to get what I had (Yanmar 315 LP's) but it's looking more and more like Cummings, I left it to the Yanmar dealer I told him my new engines were going to be White or Gray and it was up to him to sharpen his pencil! As far as electronics I was leaning towards Garmin then my buddies on the Canyon Runner who run three boats and are probably the most successful charter boat operation around swear by Simrad.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Man you gotta start hanging out with different folks, next thing you know Mark will talk you into tuna fishing.

There is no other product on the market right now that I would use other than Simrad. The BSM 2 with the hd radar in a couple of NSE or nss units would be tits in a b31. I am very happy with the NSE 12 and bsm2. With the sounder your money is gonna be in the ducer.

Don't know when you plan on ordering but we should be in the water around mid April if you wanna go bass fishing and use the stuff for real. Oh yeah family is also a dealer for that stuff
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Jimmy, I went with two Simrad NSE 12" units, HD Digital radar for in close, open array for long reach and bird locating, bsm1 ducer, will upgrade to the chirp sometime down the road, AP 24 autopilot, one year in and I love the Simrad units, easy to use intuitive, great customer support. JP helped me lay out the helm to fit the big screens. Purchased from Joe Dalik at Professional Sportfishing Services, great people know there stuff inside and out.BH

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jimmy

No, not him. When he was telling me about the boat and the guy who bought it, sounded like it might have been you.

As he watched me labor over painting the bilge, he kept telling me he wished he never sold it.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Jimmy don't you think prices are relative? You want 6 grands to prep a corvette for paint and 5 grand to paint.i purchase my pair of cummins for 34 grand in 2006 no harness,gauge panel. I don't know what they quoted you today but Yanmar should not even be considered .yesterdays music it is all over in the 300 hp range.they could care less!
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Jimmy,

and, if you go with the Cummins, you'll be able to run 35 knts in 7' seas...you also get a free serpentine belt with each engine purchased...
Good night.
John.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

John that serpentine belt will go 2000 hours same as Volvo and catapillar .constant tension unlike the 1984 era fan belt used by Yanmar. John we are talking about the converted Toyota land cruiser v-8 made into diesel.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Simrad
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I have a little boat now, and not a lot of space - and I asked the same question. The guys who are out there hitting it hard all the time said SIMRAD, SIMRAD or SIMRAD. Guess what I bought? Yup, NSS but I got the little one because I don't have a big console to begin with and already have a Garmin Chartplotter, and a combination Garmin Chartplotter/Depth Sounder (with the latest processing). As JP noted, I spent almost as much on the transducer as I did the unit - but with a twin outboard and almost no access to the inner hull, I went with an AirMar transom mount 265 -- nothing is installed yet, but I have played with it in the house (just the plotter) and I can't wait to really play with it in the water.

Tom
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

bob lico wrote:Jimmy don't you think prices are relative? You want 6 grands to prep a corvette for paint and 5 grand to paint.i purchase my pair of cummins for 34 grand in 2006 no harness,gauge panel. I don't know what they quoted you today but Yanmar should not even be considered .yesterdays music it is all over in the 300 hp range.they could care less!
Cummings Rebuilt 330's = $50k for the pair, Yanmar LP's $62K new , Yanmar 370 V8 $72K, So its looking more and more like Cummings, I know your a die in the wool Cummings guy but I have/had both, my Dodge pu and Ford 650 rollback has a Cummings motors in them and yes they run forever (with a few injector pump problems on both) Its a pain in the ass to start when cold, the noise and vibration will rattle your brain and they smoke more, One year going to to the AC Rendezvous 2 of them ate my wake and had to pull back throttles to let them catch up. With my 315 Yanmars in my old 31 after 12 years I only replaced belts and oil changes NEVER had a problem with them so thats why i'm procrastinating hoping I can find a low hour pair of used Yannys or rebuilds but I guess I have to pull the trigger soon!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Jimmy the real story is money.why should Yanmar spent millions on R&R for such a little piece of the American market that is EPA tier 4 requirements.meanwhile cat gave cummins that share of market and Volvo competes with three cylinder series. Cummins devoted a entire robotic factory for 6bta mainly for small truck and generator but marine is in there so they perfected the 6bta with close to 3 million out there they corner the market.the stock went from $80.00 to 130.00 and goes into just about every 300 hp to 420hp inboard application because they are the only guy in town! That 6bta has been push to 480hp what does that tell you about a 315 hp cummins! I am a cat man all the way!
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Bob,
I was just trying to get your goat...I know that you hate Yanmar. I was goofing around...don't get mad at me, I'm not worth it.
Thanks.
John.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

john your the best in my book i just wanted you guys to go easy. cummins is one of the very few american success stories as a matter of fact if it was not for the fracking in the american energy field there would be rioting on the streets due to unemployment.the american dollar would be worthless cause we keep on printing without backing.i should think japan is the most dedicated product country in the world when nissan went abroad for 100,000 diesels for there tundra pickup truck along with new holland it was the final nail in the coffin. as a dealer we are out in the cold no factory support "your on your own" what was is gone and that v-8 yanmar is a futile attempt with there back to the wall. pretty silly to put your hard earn dollar in to a has been! ask brother dug two turbo`s at 8 grand since 2006 because yanmar refuse to go with a american turbo that every single diesel engine maker shares including the German`s (mann and MTU. ) cummins,mann,mtu,john deere etc. go with bosch fuel injection .you go with the flow. thats how you build the best of the best.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Bob,
Don't worry about Dug...he's loaded....
John.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Theories abound...
Dug

Post by Dug »

That being said, that is kind of a dick thing to say...
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

It appears it took Dug about 20 minutes to stew on that one. Dug, as long as he isn't asking you to borrow any money, it's all good! It'll give you more to "invest" in Alchemy this winter. !!!
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Funny stuff, fellas.
John.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

next brother that has yanmar turbo`s give out give me a jiggle. back on the water for a grand.
Dug

Post by Dug »

I think the word "think" or perhaps "let settle in" might be better descriptions vs. stew.

Honestly, I thought it was a left field comment, and there are always people with more. There is history to that comment, and there are certain topics that gentlemen generally don't approach. Hence my reaction. I know John well enough to think he is funnin'. At least I think I do. That being said, still not entirely appropriate.

And Bob, I love my Yanmars. I like them better than Cummins personally, though I absolutely appreciate Cummins as well! Different strokes... They all have issues, as they are all manmade. Not as much a yanmar issue as a Mack Boring issue if you ask me.

Yanmar certainly has backed off the US marine market by all appearances. Or got beat. Who knows what actually is going on behind the scenes. All I know is my boat runs great and the only major issues I have had have been the turbo's. Bummer...

Ya, its all in good fun. I should know better than to respond. LOL!
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Dug,
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you, it wasn't my intent. My apologies.
John.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

One more happy American success story ---------2015 corvette finally blew the doors off the best in the world at there track Nurrenberg (sp?) Mercedes.AMG and Ferrari looked long faced this America 100,000 car smoked the field of 1 million dollar sport cars sending there best of the best in the world to compete.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Dug wrote: there are certain topics that gentlemen generally don't approach.
We have gentlemen in our sandbox? There goes the neighborhood...
Dug

Post by Dug »

John, No worries, thanks. Still working on getting your, as well as everyone elses lights!

And one would think we have gentleman in one form or another! LOL!!!!
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Can somebody explain to me what "gentleman" means?!...

;-)))
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

So a corvette next year is fast.
Bill
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Corvettes are fast?
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Kevin, next year.
Bill
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Capt I don't think you were old enough to remember the last time corvette was top dog ,1957 at Sebring .late sixties and earlie seventies the big block had it's moment but a gearbox,or some other mechanical problem else would kill them.this win is a tremendous pat on the back for American technology the whole world was watching especially when the car can be purchased by anyone at less then 1/6 the price of Ferrari .cummins and corvette made us proud!.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

The 2015 goes into full production august and is only slightly more hp and slightly lighter then 2014 with the use of carbon fiber but is the fastest production car in the world . Let's not forget lotus, and some of the others are not really street cars.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Navatech wrote:Can somebody explain to me what "gentleman" means?!...;-)))
Mike will have to that. After all he is the leader of the mean team.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315