Bahamas trip anyone?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

Bahamas trip anyone?

Post by Kevin »

I am looking at planning a boat trip for the first two weeks of July. I have a couple other buddies with boats that will likely be making the crossing with us. We have done the Bimini thing a few times now and we are ready to spread our wings and try something new. Something farther from Miami if you know what I mean. Bimini would still be a stopping point for us logistically and it is still fun. I saw "Conchy Joe" there last year and got to meet Troy and D, we had a blast with them. I have been searching for information about the Berry Islands and find it rather intriguing. The Berry Island Club and Great Harbor Cay have my attention along with Flo's restaurant. Based on the reading it seems to be an overlooked destination and more of a stop over for the folks going farther east. Seems like I could spend several days there and find myself needing more time.

Are there any faithful in Florida that want to try and set up a get together over there? Just getting to Bimini for me is over 110nm so I am looking at about 190nm to the Berry Islands, but you only live once right? I have the small tank in my boat but it has good legs.

I know Preston and Steve are over there and a few others. Do you guys have any recommendations on must see places? I would like to break it up and do a couple nights on the hook and a couple nights at marinas. I think it would be really cool to meet some more folks on the site. When you live in the Bahamas do you take vacations to the other Bahamas Islands? If so, let's make this a party.
John Brownlee

Re: Bahamas trip anyone?

Post by John Brownlee »

Kevin,

I would love to do it, let's talk.

JB
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Provided that I'll be in the US (good chance) and provided that Lady S will be in the Hollywood FL area by that time (she should be) then I'm game… BTW, the "Stranded Naked" party is during the first week of July IIRC…
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Seachele II is in Islamorada now and our plAn was a post 4th departure to Bimini, chub, and up through the Abacos before heading back to Stuart for hurricane season. If I can get the time off we're in, Bill
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Kevin:

Your thinking as to the Berry Islands is spot on, sounds like you're looking for some motivation to get your 1 piece hatch finished soon!

Crawfish season would be closed until August 1st, you might want to re-think your July visit dates?

Berry Islands are good for shallow diving / spearfishing.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Lobster is cool and all but I get that here.......not the same caliber/size though! I actually think the giant lion fish you guys have over there are great eating. Get a few conch and I am happy as can be. I had conch salad for the first time last year........wish I had known about that on my first trip. Glad to hear I am heading in the right direction with the Berry Islands.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Kevin,
I'd like to get down to the Exumas sometime. Tommy has been down there. Rum Cay seems very unspoiled with no pressure on the fish or diving resources. I doubt it will be this year. My boat is in Abaco currently, I may make one trip back to FLA for maintenance and other work that I would prefer to be done stateside, then back to Abaco this year.

Steve
Buju

Post by Buju »

Market Fish Cay...
You're welcome... ;)
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

IMHO
It's all worth seeing, and easy to get hooked on.
Berry Islands are nice.
Exuma's are nicer.
WarderIck Wells and the land & sea park/preserve have some amazing snorkeling.
Great fishing south of there.
I'm partial to Staniel Cay area.
Nice amenities and some great anchorages and fishing close by.
Haven't been down as far as Georgetown in awhile, but it was quite a party place.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

It's all beautiful. Steve's spot at Tilloo Cay in the Abacos is stunning. Compass Cay and surrounding cays in the Exumas is probably my favorite area. I would love to visit the Berry Islands as well. I like the way you think, Kevin!
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

I'm so jealous of you guys... I've always wanted to cruise in the Bahamas.
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Goober

Post by Goober »

Been to great harbor several times by air, brought a 28 Grady back to ft lauderdale ,fun ride with the right window . great shallow water bugs and spear fishing .deep water about an hour south or about the same east , just a little past Flo's,which is by the way Gods gift to seafood . Percy Darville runs bonefish charters or did,a must.Great hurricane hole marina.you will love it.back side of big stirrup is a short run , great place to visit when cruise ship comes to the front side.Overall a wonderful trip for a bunch of guys or family.BR Goober
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I just saw the forecast of snow/sleet/freezing rain starting Thursday morning commute and ending Friday morning commute and get even more envious of you than I was earlier! Fair seas and tight lines!
If you need any ice, I've got 6-12" coming, again. Latest now says 12-18"

Tom
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

We are definitely in!!! Just a suggestion for the trip. Cat Cay (pick up a bunch of conch) spend the night, next day run to Chubb spend the night and fuel up. Head south to Fresh Creek, Andros spend a couple of days, work our way back up to the Berry's (get some more fuel), spend a few more days, then a day trip to the Gingerbread grounds on the way to Great Isaacs light house and finally back to Bimini where we can go our separate ways.

Just a suggestion.
Troy & Daria

28 Bertram FBC, 3.9 Cummin BT's

Conchy Joe "ITS THE BOAT'S NAME, NOT MINE" -
Hypoluxo Point, FL
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Sounds good to me. About 40 nm from Chub to Fresh creek. Figure around an extra 50 gallons or so to do the Andros part of the trip.

I was thinking that pulling into the Biminis at the end of the July 4th weekend would be better than being there for the holiday weekend. Might be a little crowded with a holiday weekend? What do you guys think? I am flexible with time periods and would like to do it when the majority of us can make it happen. Weather is the obvious factor so I try to set these trips up with a few days window for departure dates.
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

I have always tried to avoid going to Bimini on the 4th of July weekend. If we had to start the trip that weekend, I would suggest avoiding Bimini and going to Cat Cay to meet up, or if you wanted to be on the hook, Honeymoon Harbour.
Troy & Daria

Hypoluxo Point, FL
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Just returned from Long island, don't go there unless u want to catch all kinds of and lots of Fisk,went to Diana bank, 5wahoo in 1/2hour, filled the body bag85 # was the largest!would not fit in the fish boxes! moved out to 600 ' and deep dropped for several hours, dozens of yellow eye snapper , and a few nice mystics grouper, saw some fish bustin on the way home after we picked up the birds on radar, picked up, 4 30#+ in 2passes, drank our dinner, next morning went out front, found a frigate, which gave up 6more dolphin, moved on till we found more birds, 2 out of 3white marlin, by this time we can't crank anymore when the one mate says Your turn again, I hid in the cabin and watched him bring in a 60# + yellow fin tuna!water is 82 already, have never had such a fishing experience in my life,new marina, new small hotel,south end of L I,1I, fished for 1 1/2days ,350 miles from palm beach, boat got weathered in at Chubb, restraint open 3days a week, sometimes fuel ,opulent dockage, small rooms for rent, real close to the tongue of the ocean where a south east wind will stack up the dolphin and marlin in early summer
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Marlin, we have experienced the "sometimes fuel" in the Bahamas........makes for added adventure for sure!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Well my son just figured out that the Esc button will erase everything in the white script box so lets try this again.

We are getting close to go time! Throw some dates out that work for those of you that want to participate in the shenanigans. Tentatively sounds like me, Troy, Bill, John and Nav. I am fairly flexible with dates but a fair weather boater when it come to long hauls. I have a couple other buddies with boats that are interested also but not members here. I am pretty sure we need to kidnap Buju and take him along too.

I have a pretty good "to bring" list and I know Troy does too since he is a seasoned traveler.
Last year we were able to keep coolers cold with 1 gallon frozen water jugs for about 6 days before we had to break down and buy a couple bags of ice.
You have no idea how much I am looking forward to this. The projects have been overwhelming the past few months. I have basically re-installed the motors without taking them out. Fuel lines and filter replacement and relocation, electrical and battery relocation, motor mounts and ramps etc. Really starting to get hot around here so I am glad the worst of it is over. A couple spots on cockpit deck sounding like rice crispies so I know that is not good.......
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

I can leave anytime after July 14th.
Troy & Daria

Hypoluxo Point, FL
spencer

Post by spencer »

I will be in lubbers from the July 2-7 rented 2 houses with docks
So if you come that way the door is open

Steve is right around the corner
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Going to fish the mutton spawn this weekend at Chubb , then head back to the ginger breads and target yellow fin and gaffer dolphin, we have fished once a week in the last month and filled the fish boxes and body bag in 2/3hours, here in palm beach it's tough to find a skip jack, go figure, peanut dolphin and small black fin , a bunch of cobia on certain days