MAte in Oz???

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

MAte in Oz???

Post by Harry Babb »

I see several "mAtees" in our sandbox here that are from the "DOWNUNDER"

If you Blokes are reading this I would appreciate an opportunity to talk with ya.....via PM or Email

G'day! ! !

hb
hb
Todd Pearce

Re: MAte in Oz???

Post by Todd Pearce »

hi, I am not in aus but New Zealand ant far away,just over the ditch, can I Help?
Chris W

Post by Chris W »

G'day Harry, How Ya Doin Mate?
Yes I am in the fabulous land down under. What can I do for you? I happy to help if I can, post your Email Address and I will reply.

Hi Todd,
Sometimes I think New Zealand is just too close.

Thanks Chris.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Hi Chris

Please send me an email to hbabb@bsmachineshop.com

Thanks

Harry Babb
hb
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

I still detect a thick southern drawl in your Aussie speak..lol..I hope to see a handful of 31 pics after your tour down under Mr. Babb.
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Bob wrote:I still detect a thick southern drawl in your Aussie speak
LOL.....that funny Bob....

I have been practicing Australian accent......Siri even speaks to me in Australian....

Do you think our Australian friends will understand........ "How yall doin??"........or "How's yo mum en nem?"

You can bet for sure that the B31 Radar Detector will be running full speed........even got me one of dem new high dollar flashlights.......its the most expensive flashlights I have ever owned......the damn thing will even make phone calls, send text messages, send and receive emails......you better charge your battery....cuz I'm gonna burn you up with pictures from the DownUnder......

hb
hb
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Harry,

When ya'll goin' Downunda?
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

We be leavin the end of May, Pat.....Been talking bout it for 28 years.....its now or never.

A friend asked me, the other day, "How much fuel is it gonna take?".......she thought we were goin on DeNada.......

Really wanted to do a Great White scuba dive......but time and travel don't permit.....

hb
hb
Chris W

Post by Chris W »

Hi Harry,
I think you still have a fair bit of work to do on your Aussie accent How yall doin??" should be: How Ya Goin fellas or Geday Lads Whats Happenin or just EH Fellas "How's yo mum en nem?" Translates to Hows your old Lady Goin or Hows The Old Chook. If you get me jist by the time you get here youll be speakin like a real pro.
Chris.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Chris wrote:Hows The Old Chook
That phrase in Alabama will get you punched in the throat! ! ! !

I can only imagine that soon "Tailhook Tom" will soon chime in with the northern version of Aussie...............

hb
hb
Chris W

Post by Chris W »

Hi Harry,
I hope I haven't offended anyone from Alabama.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Chris wrote:I hope I haven't offended anyone from Alabama.
Absolutely not Chris.......we all thought it was quite funny.......In fact we even talked to Siri about "The Ole Chook".

We are all very excited to explore the Downunda! ! !......and hopefully meet you, Nic and others that we might discover between now and the time we depart.

I understand that the Great Barrier Reef offers great diving.......what's the average depth around the reef. My grandson, Ben, is restricted to 60 feet (diving depth)......hopefully there will be a few spots in the 60 foot range.

hb
hb
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Harry, I dove the reef out of Port Douglas, Queensland, on the Quicksiver, a 45-50 foot power cat operated by a husband/wife team. Very nice folks who showed us a great time. Keep in mind that the reef grows almost to the surface in many places. Most of our dives were in 15-20 feet; clear water and lots of sea life. The Aussies are a great bunch of folks; you'll never find a nicer population anywhere!
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Tommy wrote:Harry, I dove the reef out of Port Douglas, Queensland, on the Quicksiver
Our dive tour is hosted by "Silverswift"..............I think that we will depart from Cairns for our diving excursion.

I don't mind the deep dives, but much prefer the shallower dives.......much more to see and the colors are much brighter.......and the best part is that at 20-30 feet I can stay down for over an hour on one bottle of air. I will have my daughter, daughter in law and 2 of my grandsons in tow, and they are newly certified divers...........and I think the shallower dives will bring them much more pleasure.

Thanks for the post Tommy

hb
hb
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Harry, Port Douglas is about 45 miles north of Cairns. That whole area of N. Queensland was fabulous; you guys will have a blast! Watch out for the fire coral, it is wicked (ask me how I know).
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Tommy wrote:Watch out for the fire coral, it is wicked (ask me how I know).
Sounds like the voice of experience Tommy. I will certainly take your advise. Just this morning we were talking about Box Jellyfish......better add the Fire Coral to our list.

The name of the town from which our dive excursion leaves begins with an "A"....and is a 20 minute drive from Cairns.....I will have to ask my daughter again the name of the town.

hb
hb
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Harry,

Be sure before you dive that there's an ample supply of vinegar onboard....

Queensland experts advise that vinegar is best for jellyfish stings, but not all stingers should be treated the same way, says Dr Lisa-Ann Gershwin, director of the Australian Marine Stinger Advisory Service.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Harry you're going to be in Carins tell me your going to squeeze in some Marlin fishing?
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Mark wrote:Harry you're going to be in Carins tell me your going to squeeze in some Marlin fishing?
Right now I am not sure.......we have "Rest Days" (not sure why....I can rest when I get back to work) on every leg of our trip.

I really really wanted to do a "Great White" Shark dive but was told that the Shark dives departed from ?? I believe "Port Franklin".....in the south....I think.........and is a 6 hour drive from where we would be at that point in our tour.......sooo shark dive was out.

Marlin may be in......just not sure yet......never caught a Marlin....YET! ! !

Sounds like you have been there Mark..........tell me all about it.......would really like to hear what you know "Play by Play"

hb
hb
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Harry,
I've caught plenty of billfish but I am no authority. What I can say is that Carins is considered as one of the premier destinations in the world for big marlin! The first thing I would say is, how's your heart? Potentially you could be in, if you hook up, for any where from an hour to many hours on the rod. Carins is on my bucket list for black marlin.

http://www.kekoa.com.au/options/cairns- ... rd-island/
http://www.australianmarlin.com

Nobody in particular above just the first couple links that popped up on a Carins/marlin web search. Black marlin Capitol of the world. Although I think prime time is September to December it may at least be worth the question. Arms hurting back singing knees shaking sweat pouring adrenalin surging heart pounding, you will consider handing the rod off then you may find a second wind or the ego will take charge, all of this goes on during the fight. You win 50 yards and loose a couple hundred. As it peels off you will think to yourself, f%#€ me! But there's nothing like the victory.

Patrick likely has some thoughts here too. I know he gave me a couple tips on stripy's that worked pretty damn good! Those boys that went with Uncle Vic to Panama would have some good input too!
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage